Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Nexus Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nexus Issues?

I recently installed the Autometer Nexus boost gauge and controller in my evo...

It seems to act erratically, almost as if the needle is off. Sometimes it will sweep to 30psi and back to 30vac, but others it will only sweep to 28 or so and then pin against the stopper on vac, and my boost will be 2psi lower than I have it set at. Also, the car will idle at 20, and others it will idle at 18... similarly, if I set the warning to 22.5, and then tell it to display the warning point, sometimes it points to 21...

If I unplug the gauge and replug it, it seems to calibrate properly, but the inaccuracy soon returns...

I've even had the problem where it will be off in the opposite direction, idling at ~15 and boosting to over 24...

Anyone else have the same issue w/ their nexus gauges?

I also have the issue where if I turn the car to accessory instead of completely off, the boost gauge will not read vac or boost on the next time I start the car...

Help...
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlewByYou
I recently installed the Autometer Nexus boost gauge and controller in my evo...

It seems to act erratically, almost as if the needle is off. Sometimes it will sweep to 30psi and back to 30vac, but others it will only sweep to 28 or so and then pin against the stopper on vac, and my boost will be 2psi lower than I have it set at. Also, the car will idle at 20, and others it will idle at 18... similarly, if I set the warning to 22.5, and then tell it to display the warning point, sometimes it points to 21...

If I unplug the gauge and replug it, it seems to calibrate properly, but the inaccuracy soon returns...

I've even had the problem where it will be off in the opposite direction, idling at ~15 and boosting to over 24...

Anyone else have the same issue w/ their nexus gauges?

I also have the issue where if I turn the car to accessory instead of completely off, the boost gauge will not read vac or boost on the next time I start the car...

Help...
Ohhh man, these are some POS gauges. I played with these for 3 days and they would not calibrate correctly. I took them back and put in my 50.00 autometer gauge in which works perfect. I was on the phone with Tech support for 2 days.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

anyone else w/ the same prob?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, factory defects. Call tech support and get on the list for a fix when they figure it out.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

mmmmmmmmmmmm gotta love Autometer
Old Jun 10, 2005, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scott88vr6
mmmmmmmmmmmm gotta love Autometer
The sad thing was i padi 650.00 for 2 gauges that were POS ...
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:20 AM
Former Sponsor

rraulston did you have the gauges?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've got the Pro-Comp Ultra-lites in my car which are not Nexxus I know but, I've got to ask.

Where are you guys pulling power from? There is a gauge install write up on here and they state you should pull power from the interior fuse panel in a certain slot. I can't remember which one. The only problem is that it cycles power going from run to start. So, the gauge recalibrates itself while the engine is cranking and drawing vacuum. It never seems to read the same boost or vacuum twice with it wired this way. I found one of the empty fuse slots has power as long as the key is on (I think it is the Cruise control slot if memory serves) and this seemed to fix my problems.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I've got the Pro-Comp Ultra-lites in my car which are not Nexxus I know but, I've got to ask.

Where are you guys pulling power from? There is a gauge install write up on here and they state you should pull power from the interior fuse panel in a certain slot. I can't remember which one. The only problem is that it cycles power going from run to start. So, the gauge recalibrates itself while the engine is cranking and drawing vacuum. It never seems to read the same boost or vacuum twice with it wired this way. I found one of the empty fuse slots has power as long as the key is on (I think it is the Cruise control slot if memory serves) and this seemed to fix my problems.
Trust me i tried that. I have a pretty nice fluke meter and tried all venues with no luck.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, i have the boost gauge only. The gauge just hangs in one position and does nothing. The hand controller then blinks 4 times then one time. When i called tech support, they said to start the car quick with out leaving the key on too long. If you dont start the car by the opening ceremony, they get the error. As far as accuracy, i think the boost gauge is dead on. They are trying to find the bug and took my name and number and said they would call me when a fix is available and hook me up. We will see.............Ime not too happy either.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm I have boost gauge only and I have experienced, boost never reads as it should, I thought this was normal but guess not, also if I dont turn the car on quickly the gauge hangs and the controller starts flashing the red light = error on signal. I will contact my dealer to see if I can change them or something because I already called Autometer and they said they will not fix it yet, because they dont know what the problem is. When they figure out what the problem is then they will see how they can help their customers.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Autometer sucks.

Buy something else.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Dam i was just going to get the nexus gauges. guess i should wait a bit
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Good luck, in my dealings with Autometer they don't move too quickly.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

my friend here put a autometer nexus boost gauge,and it was off also.that's what you get when you buy autometer

Quick Reply: Nexus Issues?