Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AYC vs. PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2003, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AYC vs. PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE?

HI,
i'm new to this forum on the evolution. i've been reading the forum a lot and getting much useful information. However, Can anyone explain how no AYC being offered for the US spec EVOIII, can affect performance? ALso, people have been posting performance statistics of road and tracks testing, which was like a 68mpg slalom, and .98g on the skidpad. are those performance #'s from the US spec Evo, or Evo's with AYC?

Thanks a lot, and look forward to contributing and speaking with all you EVO fans.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 05:53 AM

Claudius,
Thank you very much for your detailed responce. I just learned a lot in a few minutes, and now i'm not so worried about purchasing a US EVO 8 soon, or waiting to see if AYC becomes an option later in sales. Thanks again I really appreciate it, and will prob be talking with you more now that i'm signed up in this forum..
Old Feb 19, 2003, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

And all these american EVO buyers wanna have the AYC!!?? Finally someone has shown the truth about this "wonderful" AYC.... Now the ACD would still be probably cool... Later..
Old Feb 19, 2003, 03:50 PM

Ya i've seen the Evo in rally competitions for the past few years, and when I heard it was coming to the United States I was estatic. I was actually going to ask you about the ACD, but you answered that too. This is good news, like i said before, I was worried about everyone complaining about AYC and ACD not being offered. I also want to bring the horsepower over 300, so thats how I will do it. Again thanks a lot, you've been a big help, and appreciate you sharing what you know from first hand experience
Old Feb 19, 2003, 04:20 PM
Ben
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Claudius
On tarmac, you get 50/50 all the time, on the gravel and snow settings, this is slowed down and you have more of a FWD car.
Never liked the idea of AYC. If that's true about ACD, which I have no reason to doubt you, then I'd agree that the car is better off without ACD. I like the STI's DCCD system because when it's in the fully open mode it actually is sending more power to the rear(65%). If the best ACD will do is 50/50 split then no thanks. It would be nice to have some better LSD's than the center and rear viscous units however.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
The ACD (active center differential) is another thing that sounds good on paper but isnt that great in reality: it allows to vary the speed at which the center differential locks up and thus hw fast the 50/50 front-rear traction is distributed through the transmission. Which could lead you to believe you can set it to handle more aggressively (with an increased oversteer bias) when in fact that isnt possible. On tarmac, you get 50/50 all the time, on the gravel and snow settings, this is slowed down and you have more of a FWD car.
Although, I do agree 100% with the reasoning about the AYC, your ACD explanation is a bit short. First, ACD has much faster activation capabilities then any other mechanical diff that is used for the center. Second, 50:50 is only the case when diff is locked 100% and in the Tarmac case, this is the least of the situations that you will find it there. Going down to the Gravel and Snow settings, you actually get more of that 50:50 split. At the lowest setting - Snow (lowest from the looseness of the rear end point of view) - car is mainly in the 50:50 mode and transfers the power to the all of the wheels all the time equally. That is why front wheels get to see a bit more action and car feels more like the FWD.

Going back to the Tarmac setting - diff is mostly in the open state and allows more power to go to the wheels with the less grip and that is rear. That gives car less of the understeer and makes it more loose and quicker. It might not be as much fun to drive it like the one with the mechanical diffs, but it will be quicker!

Fedja
Old Feb 19, 2003, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

It cracks me up when I hear people debate what Claudius says about ayc/acd. Afterall, he probably has more experience with and without the systems than anyone on this board. I'm sure his driving impressions are accurate. People get all caught up with the whole electronic gizmo thing...believing it HAS to be better. Evos haven't always had ayc or acd..I don't hear anyone saying negative things about the previous Evos handling.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

dont most people say the evo VI rs2 (or whatever... the one with recaros, big brakes, but no ACD or AYC) was the pinnacle of performance in the evolutions series? seems to me we are getting something very close to that...
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I agree tarmac mode is the best for ACD. When I test drove the Evo 7 RS, I tried the other two settings and left it in tarmac after that. It's very neutral in tarmac, no oversteer tendency unless you transfer some weight (not really flicking it, but a little bit).
You see, it is not correct to say that that Tarmac setting is the best for the ACD. If you have had driven the same car back then in the Tarmac setting on something more slippery, then you would have a very loose car and it wouldn't be the best setting any more. You would probably need to use Gravel or even Snow if traction would be an issue.

Also posted by Claudius
I dont understand your explanation, especially when you say "tarmac is the least of situations" or something; surely most people here drive Evos or will do so on the road or tarmac track?
Well, when you put it like that I get confused as well. So, here is a full sentence:
"Second, 50:50 is only the case when diff is locked 100% and in the Tarmac case, this is the least of the situations that you will find it there."
What I was saying that fully locked center diff is the situation that will not happen that often in the Tarmacmode, which is a bit different from the way you put it up there. And, I do perfectly agree that the Tarmac mode is the one mostly used!

And posted by Claudius
I'd be interested to know why you seem to be so sure that ACD and AYC etc. are so much better than mechanical diffs. Were you convinced by the Mitsubishi brochure explanation? Or did you get that impression during a test drive of an Evo 7? Or did a friend of yours tell you? My Evo driving friends and myself dont understand your point; would you like to explain it to us, please?
First, I never mentioned anything about greatness of the AYC and I agreed with your interpretation of how it behaves on the EVO. Although, since you mentioned it, I do believe that the car equipped with those active gadgets can be improved beyond what any mechanical diff can do if you have the right code to download into the ECU. And also, the new AYC for the EVO8 is even more improved and quicker, since they vent from the bevel type diff to the planetary one. We should know pretty soon how this one is going to work on the road and what kind of ECU upgrades we can get for the new stuff.

As of the why I think ACD is better then the mechanical diffs is partially explained in my previous post. For one thing, it is way quicker then anything else you can find in the mechanical world. If you would use the code to behave like the regular mechanical diff in the ACD ECU, you would get better version of the diff then mechanical one would be.

As of where my knowledge is coming from it really shouldn't matter in this case at all. If you think that I wrote something that is not correct up there, you should said so (and maybe explain why is that). Instead of calling on the sources of my knowledge and my past experience, which doesn't make much of sense to me. I have been racing with AWD cars for several years and I am do know things or two to make a comment here and there. I know that you have a lot of experience and I respect you more then a lot of people that post in here. But, that is not because of your past experience or whatever your people are telling you about the way things are It is just because your posts have good information contents and I can learn from most of them.

Have a on me then!

Fedja
Old Feb 20, 2003, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

The thing is: you dont
How sure you are about that?

You dont have to say, but it could give us a better understanding of why you think what you think.
I hope this is not all of the glory that raises you so high up, that you can't even read what is up there? I though, I did answer that part of your question as well, so check it out again!

Fedja

Quick Reply: AYC vs. PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE?