Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anybody try the new BR coil on plug

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody try the new BR coil on plug

I am running all BR parts (see mod list) and it seems like anything over 27lbs boost, (alky and a little 110) I get miss over 7000rpm. I have the Denso IW24's in right now and they seem to work the best of all the plugs. Daves coil on plug looks sweet and for the money how can you beat it. Has anybody running high boost and alky used the set up yet?

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin....cgi?29X376545

This is our new coil on plug ignition for the EVO. The coils fit completely underneath the stock or any aftermarket coil cover on the market. This means those of you that have bought carbon fiber or billet covers can continue to use them. We also have found tons of problems with the other EVO ignitions on the market and have them all fixed and addressed with this system. The base coil on plug ignition for the EVO comes with the plate and four coils ready to bolt on and the ignition module to make it work. This ignition will light anything you can put to it up to 550 whp. We are offering an additional ignition box that will keep you free of ignition misses to 1,000 horsepower.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

i like this unit better than the other one in having to keep the stock cover on.i was also wondering if anybody has tried this also??
Old Jun 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is Tym Switzer's technically
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Technically it is NOT Tym Switzer's. Tym's uses a complete new top plate that eliminates the factory cover. Tym's uses an AEM CDI box, we do not.

This, other than using the same coils as Tym, has nothing else in common.

Nobody has gotten a chance to try one yet 4ring as we are waiting on connectors to finish them. What is probably going to happen is some wiring will have to be done. The orders are piling up and our best solution is to just supply new connectors rather than making it a plug in affair.

We had a problem with our Red shop car for almost 2 years that nobody was able to find the answer to. Each time we thought we found it the problem came back, to say it was frustrating would be an understatement. The solution was the ignition we built for the car. Since that day we have not had a single problem, the car is driven almost daily at 30+ psi of boost, has run 10.9 at 134+ mph on the stock Advans and no more problems.

The weakest part of the EVO is the ignition system, that is why you see so many different companies with so many different ideas.

Also, for some reason, every CDI box that we sold with the COP's we use to sell (when we could still buy them from the supplier, we were cut off for mysterious reasons) came back failed. I don't know what the deal is as there are a bunch of guys using them and I don't see much about failures out there. On the EVO, they do not seem to hold up. This is another reason for our development of this particular ignition for the cars.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

why not go hks dli II?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dave, sent a pm regarding this.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

The HKS DLI2 has worked extremely well for us. It will handle the ignition on the EVO's up to around 600 whp in MOST situations. In the case of our '03, the red EVO, it wouldn't come close. I have installed more DLI2's on EVO's than any other ignition and have been happy with it on all but maybe 2-3 and those were cars with 575 whp or over. Very very good ignition upgrade and reasonably priced for as well as it works.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 19, 2005, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt I am much over 500whp if at all. I would like to run the 30r up to 29/30psi on racegas and the alky so maybe the DLI2 would be the way to go. Did the Magnacores help much on the higher rpm break-up? It is odd how it happens, seems to be intermitant at best. One thing that points to ignition problem to me is cooler moist air makes it act up more, I don't think its leaking it's just the denser charge is putting it over the edge of what the factory ignition can light. If I back it off to 26/27psi it fine, anything higher it she starts getting pissy.

Dave, hows the new exhaust housing working your 30R?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

what wiring has to be done for this seeing as i'm interested in it.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 07:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
I am running all BR parts (see mod list) and it seems like anything over 27lbs boost, (alky and a little 110) I get miss over 7000rpm. I have the Denso IW24's in right now and they seem to work the best of all the plugs.
Have you tried a smaller plug gap?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

hrmm i really wanna run one of these they look awsome
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

We have not tested the new housing yet. I really think it is going to be kick ***. It has been fitted up and this week I am going to be working extra overtime each and everyday to get every single project here completely finished by Friday.

That means 3 600+ EVO builds are going to be done and running. Lower i/c pipes for the EVO's will be done, flat flooring two of the EVO's here, finish tuning the RS for the C&D event next week etc. etc. It's going to be nuts. One of the EVO's has the new turbo on it, we are going to try like hell to run it this week if we get the last wheel we are waiting on for it.

The DLI2 will probably be all you need for the alky + BR500 kit you have, we have them here instock.

The wiring for our COP for the EVO. It would simply require you cutting the factory connector off the end of the harness and putting on a new connector we can send. The only reason we don't just go ahead and do this is it makes it harder to switch back to stock.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 19, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry I missed the whole new part of the deal. Wasn't tryin to **** you off
Old Jun 19, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo81
i like this unit better than the other one in having to keep the stock cover on.i was also wondering if anybody has tried this also??
Like you keep anything on your car as it is.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gofaster87
Like you keep anything on your car as it is.
H8'R

Quick Reply: Anybody try the new BR coil on plug