Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tilton clutches

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tilton clutches

I called Tilton Engineering and found that they are due to release twin plates clutches for the EVO by the 1st of August. Tilton is a world leader in racing clutches and the first manufacture to develop and patent a carbon/carbon clutch. Tilton will be offering three twin plate clutch package for the EVO; a carbon/carbon clutch, cerametallic clutch and hybrid clutch (one cerametallic disc and one organic disc). Clutch package will include a billet steel flywheel, twin plate clutch and a concentric hydraulic release bearing (replacing the stock slave cylinder and related linkage). Beside producing some of the best racing clutches available, many 800+ HP Supras are using their carbon clutch with great sucess. Tilton hasn't formally released the clutches, but you can see the products they produce at www.tiltonracing.com.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Tilton is supposed to be the best
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

1 post and one hell of a sales pitch
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03EVO583
I called Tilton Engineering and found that they are due to release twin plates clutches for the EVO by the 1st of August. Tilton is a world leader in racing clutches and the first manufacture to develop and patent a carbon/carbon clutch. Tilton will be offering three twin plate clutch package for the EVO; a carbon/carbon clutch, cerametallic clutch and hybrid clutch (one cerametallic disc and one organic disc). Clutch package will include a billet steel flywheel, twin plate clutch and a concentric hydraulic release bearing (replacing the stock slave cylinder and related linkage). Beside producing some of the best racing clutches available, many 800+ HP Supras are using their carbon clutch with great sucess. Tilton hasn't formally released the clutches, but you can see the products they produce at www.tiltonracing.com.
My friend has a tilton in his evo for months now! Its sick but toooo noisy!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that would definately be the clutch to buy. true carbon to carbon.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Tilton quality is better than anything presently available for the evo....PERIOD.

I use their carbon clutch in my 9 sec 153 mph car drives like a stock clutch, amazing stuff.

Sean
Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
My friend has a tilton in his evo for months now! Its sick but toooo noisy!
You should be specific which model he has. I can tell you he does not have the tilton carbon/carbon. Because it doesn't make any noise. I have been running the tilton carbon/carbon for 6 months and the clutch is bar none the best on the market.

Smooth, quiet, and Grabby. And no clutch even comes close to the shiftability, having the lightest discs on the market.

Expensive but worth it.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:54 AM
Account Disabled

He does have the carbon/carbon. It is very noisy. Works perfect though and shifts awesome.

However his is basically not the Tilton full setup as that won't be released for about 1.5 months. We already have a few on order Price will be $3795 for the carbon/carbon and it comes with hydraulic release bearing. As said above though there will be a few versions ranging from $1699 to the carbon version. Tilton will have a official press release about it later this week.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So is there going to be a "quiet one" for us old ******, or not?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:43 AM

I just did a bunch of looking around for the clutch you are mentioning, and was considering emailing Tilton, but you beat me to the punch. I was thinking about the 56-354, which is the hybrid cerametallic/organic in a twin-plate clutch which has 500 ft-lb holding capacity.

Edit:
This will get you right to the Evo clutches:
http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....st2&id=424&m=d

Last edited by nubby; Jun 22, 2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:26 AM

What about the AP Racing?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
So is there going to be a "quiet one" for us old ******, or not?
If your a puss you don't need a tilton. These clutches are in the most powerful cars in the world, Anyware from F1 to Drag racing.

Chris
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by dome2dome
What about the AP Racing?
I got a quote on an AP Racing single disk organic clutch, their "Formula" series, and out-the-door was $925. This is pretty much the only streetable clutch from AP Racing besides a full multi-plate carbon-carbon type affair, which I'm sure would be in the same price range as the Tilton unit.

Once your clutch budget hits around 12% of the purchase price of your car, there are a lot of options out there, Alcon and Helix to name a couple more.

Edit: Ahh, you're in Thailand! Who knows what you pay for parts there.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

does it matter if the tilton switches to push type vs pull type?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:03 AM

For those of you with a Tilton, did you have to fabricate a clutch-stop? I noticed that there is a lot of mention that the clutch pedal has to be setup in order to not over-stroke the diaphragm spring, and my guess is that our clutch pedal has too much travel to avoid having to do this.

Quick Reply: Tilton clutches