Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

05 GSR--HKS downpipe ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HKS as well as many others are sold/listed for 03-04 EVOs only.

I have an 2005 EVO and have had a full Vishnu system with fitment problems, A Megan Downpipe that flat-out would not fit and currently have a 3" DC sports Downpipe with 3" Thermal exhaust.

The DC DP hits both the transfer case and the subframe just before the hangers.

I was just literally under the car about an hour ago looking for a fix. If the DC were about 1/2 longer right off of the turbo (o2 housing) it looks like it would clear.

I have an idea for a fix (cheap) that doesn't include cuting welding or dending that I can confirm tommorow...........................if it works I will post it with pictures.

Again most pieces where designed on the 03/04 EVO...............not the 05 with the active center dif (read larger) and slightly larger turbo. (even a 1/4 in any direction can cause a alignment problem)

Mattj

Last edited by Dropspeed; Jun 23, 2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very few dp will fit good on the 05+ because of the ACD but my tanabe dp fits good!

Tom
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Very few dp will fit good on the 05+ because of the ACD but my tanabe dp fits good!

Tom

how good is good..any clearance issues or rubbing anywhere near the subframe??
Old Jun 24, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

bump for ideas on this....
Old Jun 24, 2005, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The dp clears everything (subframe, oil pan, and transfer case) with room to spare. However, the dp is 70mm but it shouldn't be a prob if you car is making less than 500whp.

Tom
Old Jun 25, 2005, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have a FIX, for my problem at least that should work on others also.

I removed the DP and the Donut gasket from the 02 housing. I purchased a handful of 2 bolt gaskets that would nomally be used to join something like the mid section to the rear section of the exahust.

After measureing, I decided I needed 4 of these gaskets together to make the proper spacer.

I then cut the "wings" or "tabs" that are on either side off the gasket to make the gasket more round instead of the oval shape that is was. This is not nessasary but makes it look cleaner when installed.

With a little bit of red hightemp silicone I stuck the 4 gaskets together (strickly for ease of handling so they stay together, not for sealing)

I slipped my homemade gaskets on the 02 housing sleeve first (about 1/2" thick) and then reinstalled the factory donut gasket (now lower by a 1/2" roughly) Reinstalled the DC Sports DP with the factroy bolts and tightened everything back up.

IT WORKED! This lowered the DP just enough to clear. NO leaks, The DP now has about 1/4" room between it and the tranfers case and at least 1/2 -3/4" of space between it and the subframe. (NOTE: it was sitting against both and vibrating before this mod) I was still also able to install the factroy lower bars without spacers.

I will post pictures later this weekend for a better visual idea.

This was with a DC Sports 3" Downpipe and Thermal 3" exhaust. I also installed the "mechanical O2 fix" at the same time that is working like a charm.

Mattj
Old Jun 25, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I posted the pics of my JIC DP in another thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=145668
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem as you. I have an HKS dp and it's hitting some sort of chassis and makes a clanging noise at times. What I did before was to stick a small section of high temperature resistant silicone spark plug wire between the downpipe and the chassis to keep it from vibrating. Tell me if you find out some other solution.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:26 PM
Account Disabled

we've done the HKS on several 05's and MR's - absolutely zero issues

post pics of your installl.....
Old Jan 31, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by genrec
Just installed the a few days ago. Am i the only 05 with HKS downpipe fitment issues.........it's not hitting the transfer case, it clears the cross bars just fine..it Rubbing on the subframe right before the flange that connects to the cat......

the Dp has been taken off and adjusted 2 times and still doesn't fit right.
It's not a bad rub or a constant mainly out of 1st gear.....still it's annoying and should not be happening for the price i paid.

Any other 05's have this issue......or just me???

Should i not have been sold this product for an 05...who is to blame here, HKS or the shop that sold it...

any input would be appreciated.
I have an 05 and my HKS rubbed in the exact same place when I had my stock cat + stock cat back on the car with HKS downpipe only. The problem has gone away since I put in my Helix catback and Works HFC.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

does the downpipe hitting the subframe result in any functional damage?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:38 PM

I also have an 05 but never encountered that problem.... Maybe cuz I wasnt the one to install it? Haha... sorry.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by evo81
*news reporter voice* this just in........HKS sucks

HKS don't suck, u suck . Maybe this person must of bought it from ebay or something, that's why it suck's.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

yeah.. hks is high quality stuff.. just that downpipe wasnt specifically fitted for the 05's..
Old Feb 8, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Solution: Get a new downpipe that fits. Sell HKS on trader. You might even make money in doing it!