Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ARP Headbolts needs to be Re Torque, yes or no

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by siantjab
I did mine to ~75 pounds on install. Then, after a few days, opened that valve cover back up and torqued them down to ~85 pounds. There was one that had backed out a tiny bit and was a little under torque (~68 pounds). I've since checked them again and all were fine.

Good luck!

Thanks. Looks like 85 is the magic number.

Another question. What is the torque cycle method?

replace first one and torque to 70 initially, then start with second one and torque to 70, etc. Then finally go back and retorque all to 85?

or

replace first one and torque to 70 initially, then torque that one to 85, then start with second one and torque to 70, to 85, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Use the first method, but torque to 75 pounds. *Allways torque these when the engine is COLD* After you've torqued them all to 75 put it all back together. Run the car normally for a day or two. Then go back in (again while the engine is cold) and torque them all to 85.

This is basically what I did.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes I retorque after 2-3 hard runs on race fuel.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by siantjab
Use the first method, but torque to 75 pounds. *Allways torque these when the engine is COLD* After you've torqued them all to 75 put it all back together. Run the car normally for a day or two. Then go back in (again while the engine is cold) and torque them all to 85.

This is basically what I did.

Thanks alot. Alky kit going in soon so I need to upgrade the head stud. Hope all goes well with the install.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Now you see why I didn't put studs in my car. After reading all the different methods, torque specs, retorquing, not retorquing, head-off, head-on, etc, etc, I was a bit on the annoyed side. There's a circus of info on this subject and it needs to be somewhat standardized before I throw these in my car. Also, the efficacy of the studs is something I question as well.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by A418t81
Now you see why I didn't put studs in my car. After reading all the different methods, torque specs, retorquing, not retorquing, head-off, head-on, etc, etc, I was a bit on the annoyed side. There's a circus of info on this subject and it needs to be somewhat standardized before I throw these in my car. Also, the efficacy of the studs is something I question as well.

Agreed and this was the reason I did not put them long ago and still debating but wanted to make sure what needs to be done if an attempt was made .

Only reason I'm debating on stud is due to the alky kit or else no upgrade for me.