Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

blew my water pump freeze plug out.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blew my water pump freeze plug out.

car was warming up in my driveway and blew this plug out. I noticed it had a little coolant residue sitting on it about a weak ago, but didn't think much of it. the car is an 04 with 3k on it. I'm debating wether or not to take it to the dealership and have them fix it to only have it happen again. thinking about pulling it off myself and pressing the plug back in with sealant on it and maybe weld or pin it some how. any ideas? oh yeah car never dumps coolant into the overflow so i doubt it's head gasket related. the plug is right above the alternator, might want to check yours!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor

take it to the dealer.. dont try to pin it or glue it.. if there is a prob and it cant relaese you can create other probs.. it might not have been seated properly from the factory..
Old Jun 25, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

why would it have to release? thats what a radiator cap is for. I'm just gonna fix it myself. definitely worth keeping an eye out for.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickracer9
car was warming up in my driveway and blew this plug out. I noticed it had a little coolant residue sitting on it about a weak ago, but didn't think much of it. the car is an 04 with 3k on it. I'm debating wether or not to take it to the dealership and have them fix it to only have it happen again. thinking about pulling it off myself and pressing the plug back in with sealant on it and maybe weld or pin it some how. any ideas? oh yeah car never dumps coolant into the overflow so i doubt it's head gasket related. the plug is right above the alternator, might want to check yours!!!!
Don't fix it. This is something that you want to have the dealership take care of.

There are several EVOs that have had the freeze plugs blow out of the water pump or block and it's caused by the combustion gases getting past the head gasket. This will cause a pressure spike in the coolant system and push the freeze plugs out. The reason it doesn't blow the hoses off is because of the restriction in the coolant passages way in the head are enough that it will won't unless the thermostat in out.

I know that it doesn't seem like the head gasket but metal head gaskets are pretty tolerant, and they will hang in there for a while, leaking a little here and there when combustion pressures are high enough to get past it. This is why you can get another run or two in on your race engine before it really fails the gasket.

Check the coolant overflow and the radiator for that faint oil scum that should be floating on the surface. It may take a while but it will slowly appear as you keep putting miles on it.

Jon@TRE
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, this is one of the few times I will say take it to the dealership.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Don't fix it. This is something that you want to have the dealership take care of.

There are several EVOs that have had the freeze plugs blow out of the water pump or block and it's caused by the combustion gases getting past the head gasket. This will cause a pressure spike in the coolant system and push the freeze plugs out. The reason it doesn't blow the hoses off is because of the restriction in the coolant passages way in the head are enough that it will won't unless the thermostat in out.

I know that it doesn't seem like the head gasket but metal head gaskets are pretty tolerant, and they will hang in there for a while, leaking a little here and there when combustion pressures are high enough to get past it. This is why you can get another run or two in on your race engine before it really fails the gasket.

Check the coolant overflow and the radiator for that faint oil scum that should be floating on the surface. It may take a while but it will slowly appear as you keep putting miles on it.

Jon@TRE
+1
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

There is actually a factory service bulletin on this issue. Take it to the dealer.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

this actually happened to my car. i was just cruising down the highway when my came out. i took it back to the dealership and they fixed it without any problems.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

even with all the mods on your car?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Mods don't have anything to do with this. It is a FSB. kind of like a recall.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:51 PM
Former Vendor

why do i bother..
Originally Posted by dafarmer69
take it to the dealer.. dont try to pin it or glue it.. if there is a prob and it cant relaese you can create other probs.. it might not have been seated properly from the factory..
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Can you see the freeze plug? Can someone tell me where the freeze plug is?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

it's right above the alternator. about 1.4 inches in diameter. what does the tsb or fsb cover? does it come from a head gasket problem?

Last edited by nickracer9; Jun 30, 2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

yeap even with all the mods on my car. they fixed it. no problems at all........and how do you know what all i have done to my car anyways.

Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cruizinmax
Mods don't have anything to do with this. It is a FSB. kind of like a recall.
i think your wrong...tsbs are just internal messages circulated to dealerships to assist techs on diagnosing problems and how to properly fix them...they still fall under the warranty.