Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Curiosity Question on those VTA and running fine

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyv65
Malibu Jack--as always, you can straighten out a thread in a hurry. Great posts!

Here's my answer for the VTA crowd--sample the BOV sound, rig up a loudspeaker & trigger it off your clutch!

Lol. Just buy one of those "Electric Blow Off Valves." You can find em on eBay. Basically it's a car alarm speaker with a "phwooosh" sound programmed in that you rig to go off whenever you let off the gas.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

^NAh, just poo in your hand and throw it at people when you shift.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

For what it's worth, some of the dual port BOVs have ben reported to work with great success, at least, I have with my APS. Under normal driving conditions the piston only moves far enough to recirculate the air. Only under hi boost application does the piston move farther back to 'reveal' the VTA port, causing a VTA discharge.

I've yet to have the surging problems I had with other BOVs (including stock), and boost and idle are both strong.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I agree that the APS is the only way to go if you run a standard MAF, even though it does VTA partially. People like it even more than the JDM DV.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

I am running an injen intake and fully VTA on an SSQV and having no problems at all. Even my friend with a 2003 GSR is amazed because he was having some idle problems with the same BOV in his car, mine is a 2005.

Al from Dynoflash recommended to me another BOV because he said he preferred a recirculating BOV, but after he tuned and tested my car he told me to forget it, because mine was running perfect. Yeah, and I like the sound.

VTA works fine in our cars, but if its safe or will hurt any other component? there are different opinions. If you wanna be safe or are worried, dont do it, or go with a Dual Port BOV.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for taking ur time to write that Malibujack but u wasted your time. This was a CURIOUSITY question and everything you stated, i was already fully aware of it but there are those few who were lucky enough to run VTA BOVs and run "fine". As for HKS SSQ being the best VTA bov, WRONG, i've had 3 of them and its the WORST if anything. The best VTA bov i've ever experienced is the Forge BOV. It idled damn near like recirc and stalled on me ONCE in the 2 month period i owned it daily driven in stop n go traffic as well as hwy.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
thanks for taking ur time to write that Malibujack but u wasted your time. This was a CURIOUSITY question and everything you stated, i was already fully aware of it but there are those few who were lucky enough to run VTA BOVs and run "fine". As for HKS SSQ being the best VTA bov, WRONG, i've had 3 of them and its the WORST if anything. The best VTA bov i've ever experienced is the Forge BOV. It idled damn near like recirc and stalled on me ONCE in the 2 month period i owned it daily driven in stop n go traffic as well as hwy.
That's the problem. What Malibu Jack was saying is that you fools THINK it's running fine, when in fact it is harming the turbo without you knowing. If there is no gain from VTA, which there isn't, then why do it? Is it really worth risking damage to your turbo just to make noise? I will _never_ understand such a ridiciulous sentiment...

I get a ton of satisfaction from blowing away all the local STi/WRXs with LOUDLY purging BOVs. They make noise, I make them my bltch.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

if it really cauzed so many problems then y are company's making them vta?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

The Forge BOV's have been known to surge with great success, and many times uncontrollably, at that... When my stock one started to go I read into the Forge, but it seemed to me that it was too much of a 50/50 chance, and that was with the recirc one!

I was skeptical about the APS due to its partial VTA discharge, but in the end I was proven wrong. The only downside is the the APS needs occasional oiling in order to keep the piston lubed.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 01:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonics
if it really cauzed so many problems then y are company's making them vta?
Many cars don't have an issue with VTA blowoff valves.. But those cars have their airflow sensor either after the valve, or are running a speed density setup either factory, or conversion (Turbo Honda civics are a good example of a speed density system)

Also, to the post from the starter of the thead, its all good, I understood answering this that it was an informational post, but its one of dozens of these posts and I caught this one, so I decided to answer.

What your saying about the HKS not being the best valve, well, thats subjective, I never said it was the best, I said it will idle better than the others due to the nature of how it works, it will also hold boost better than many without much adjustment simply because the valve is "Held closed" by boost pressure, instead of always wanting to be forced open. It operates differently than most other BOV's in that it uses the boost to stay closed, and it opens a small valve which forces the pressure into a secondary port, which opens the entire valve. In theory it means it will hold any level of boost you throw at it (In reality, its only good to about 22psi since it can't vent enough air due to the size of its flange and inlet)

I have had good success with the HKS SSQV, and since I don't run a stock MAF, I don't have any of the drivability issues, but of all the options, this one will do the least amount of harm due to its design.

The Forge is a great valve, but you need to properly adjust it, and it still must be recirculated, the forge in general doesn't remain open at idle as far as I've read, but it depends on the engine vacuum and spring pressure, thats why some evo's have more success than others.. Vacuum levels, engine RPM, etc will all have an effect.. Unfortunately, we can only make recommendations, and the common consensus is Not to vent, since a properly adjusted BOV when vented, will actually cause the car to idle very poorly since a portion of that metered air gets released into the atmosphere.. Whats worse is, you cannot determine "How much" Of that air will get vented since varying engine loads, varying weather, and other conditions will alter the amount the valve may be open (if at all)

In order for people to get around that, they just set the spring pressure and adjustment of the valve, high enough to always stay closed at idle, unfortunately engine vaccum at idle is pretty high, therefore it will have to take more engine vacuum than that when shifting to open it with that level of spring pressure, so it opens suddenly, late, and results in compressor surge.. (again if you VTA it also results in a rich condition between shifts, combine that with the surged compressor and you have a stumble between shifts that is hard to recover from)
Old Jun 26, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have and 05 Evo was running the Turbo XS RFL VTA blow off valve, but i didnt like it the sound was great i had no problems with the car stalling or anything, the only problem was around 80mph or so i had to play wiht the throtle because if i let go off it too fast the car would like slow down real quick it sucked, and the sound got annoying after a while, everytime id let go off the gas id get a shwoosh sound, and i drive a lot i got my car for 4 months and already got 18000 miles or so on it, so i took out the VTA and replaced it with the Turbo XS recirculating valve, no more extremely loud sound and no more problem with the 80+ mile per hour.

Anyways the VTA had a nice sound but only till it gets annoying, and like malibu jack says its not worth it
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwman
I've had people riding next to me duck their heads and throw their arms up when I blow off in their window at 10 + psi hahah its so funny.
Your not the only one. I made this one guy go across 2 lanes on the HIGHWAY with his handles toward the window. I was like OOOPPS!!!!

MY BAD.

Also I just paid the extra 100 bucks and got an HKS EIDS to smoothen the idle Still cant get the car to IDLE cold.

Last edited by DCSilvrEvo; Jun 26, 2005 at 04:01 PM. Reason: WHO CARES?!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
The best VTA bov i've ever experienced is the Forge BOV. It idled damn near like recirc and stalled on me ONCE in the 2 month period i owned it daily driven in stop n go traffic as well as hwy.
Well, I heard that Forge is great, thats what AL recommended to me, but mine is HKS SSQV and I have use it for almost 6 months, daily driven, stop and go traffic, and over 11,000 miles on those 6 months, never had a stall or idle issue. Never notice any difference between the stock BOV or the HKS at all when idle. So I really dont know what the issue is with the VTA. As I told you, my friend was amazed how good it is working, he think its because of the position, I have it installed very low on the upper intercooler pipe, just below the intake filter, I dont know if that has anything to do, but it works great.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 08:58 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only think I disagree with is that is your gonna get compressor surge from a BOV it's going to happen whether you have a MAP or MAF sensor. I have a Tial BOV and it does stall and has some issues that i'm pretty sure would be fixed if I recirculated, but I would need custom piping to do that.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
That's the problem. What Malibu Jack was saying is that you fools THINK it's running fine, when in fact it is harming the turbo without you knowing. If there is no gain from VTA, which there isn't, then why do it? Is it really worth risking damage to your turbo just to make noise? I will _never_ understand such a ridiciulous sentiment...

I get a ton of satisfaction from blowing away all the local STi/WRXs with LOUDLY purging BOVs. They make noise, I make them my bltch.
how does a VTA bov harm your turbo? Only way it would is if it was surging, only "harm" i see from a VTA bov with the proper spring tension is that it'll make ur car run a bit more rich than it already is and maybe cause damage to 02 sensor from backfiring here and there.

As for Malibujack, i am in no way saying youre wrong, but from what i've seen and read, HKS SSQ+Evo=no good even running a standalone. I am aware of the design of the HKS SSQ where more boost=more solid closure of the BOV as its a pull type not push type bov. IMO: I think the Evo community is VERY uptight on loud bov issue. Of course there are other different car forums that will agree that choosing a BOV based on noise is stupid, but choosing a bov based on performance and having a nice sound included in the package isnt wrong. Some of the world's fastest cars are running loud bov's as well as infamous Japanese drivers overseas. People think its "so ridiculous" that people will sacrifice idle for noise..its not so ridiculous if you think about it. Its not like you're losing power (for the most part, some people tend to due to leaks and valve not remaining close), you're 1/4 time is gonna be pretty much the same regardless of VTA or Recirc. My point being: it is understandable taht some want to sacrifice idle somewhat(its not like you get idle drops 100% of the time, i'd say more like 15%) to hear a loud bov screaming from their car.

I'm just trying to see this from other people's views. and PS: I am recirculating

Last edited by RalliArtEvoVIII; Jun 26, 2005 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Curiosity Question on those VTA and running fine