Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown Front Diff?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Front Diff?

Well got the car jacked up yesterday day after I kept hearing a popping sound whenever I turn in either full lock left or right and the steering wheel would fight with me. Put the car on jackstands and in neutral and tried to spin the front wheels and well it spun 3/4 of a turn and then stopped and I couldn't get it to budge unless I went the other way but it would lock again the other way. So I'm guessing front differential, everything looked fine underneath and the car drives fine straightline, no whining or anything. Completely different story when I turn though, I hear a metallic pinging/popping sound and then the steering wheel will fight with me a lil and my front tires will skip a lil.

Last edited by midnightsuns; Jun 26, 2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I think you may be lucky since it sounds more like a CV joint.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

I heard someone tell me that but a guy was there that owns a shop and says that he personally thinks it sounds more like a diff. What are the signs of a blown diff?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It def sound like a front diff !!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

front diff.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
what did you do to your car? ...cause isht don't happen by itself

bad cv makes noise when u turn wheel left right...
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It is your front diff just had my TC replaced $2,600 from TRE I got the limited slip put in with forged spider gears I will link my thread I had when I did mine... These are two threads I started hope it helps If you need TRE info its in the botton threads.....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=122301

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=123981

Last edited by PHILLY EVO; Jun 26, 2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

if it's the front diff get the quaife lsd, it's torsen (locking type)
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Dealership is covering, I have an appointment Mon for them to look at it, I just bought the car two weeks ago and it only has 5k on it.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

you must have launched the car hard......
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
you must have launched the car hard......
+1^
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

only launched around 3500-4k tops and feathered the clutch, anyways was playing with it today to make sure it was the diff and well I put the car in neutral and tried pushing it forward and guess what, the wheels turned without a prob, so I get in and drive it around the parking lot, still nothing, break it all the way to the left and there it goes a metal pop and a lil steering wheel fight ensued then it popped again (the sound came from what sounded like the left wheel well) and the car drove fine. Turned the wheel all the way right and same thing except I thought the pop came from the right wheel well this time, I call my friend over and tell him to listen. Yep it's making a pop sound from both sides depending on which way I turn. It only pops when I'm going straight if I turn into a parking spot and then pull out, it pops then I never have another problem until I attempt to turn again. cv joints maybe??? maybe they both gave? sounds like something is popping out of place and then back in.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by midnightsuns
only launched around 3500-4k tops and feathered the clutch, anyways was playing with it today to make sure it was the diff and well I put the car in neutral and tried pushing it forward and guess what, the wheels turned without a prob, so I get in and drive it around the parking lot, still nothing, break it all the way to the left and there it goes a metal pop and a lil steering wheel fight ensued then it popped again (the sound came from what sounded like the left wheel well) and the car drove fine. Turned the wheel all the way right and same thing except I thought the pop came from the right wheel well this time, I call my friend over and tell him to listen. Yep it's making a pop sound from both sides depending on which way I turn. It only pops when I'm going straight if I turn into a parking spot and then pull out, it pops then I never have another problem until I attempt to turn again. cv joints maybe??? maybe they both gave? sounds like something is popping out of place and then back in.
IT might not be the front diff after all. Have it checked out by the dealer!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

It is the spider gears in the TC but I will bet his front diff is gone too. When TRE checked out mine they said it was the worst they seen. My car did the samething......
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

yep bingo Spider gears are binding is what the dealership said they called mitsu to see what they say

Quick Reply: Blown Front Diff?