Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act 6 puck and Stock PP. Good combo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Act 6 puck and Stock PP. Good combo?

i tried to search, but i couldn't find much answers.
right now, i am in the market for a used evo. there is actually a white 04 that i will be bidding on this friday.
anyways, one of the first things i am going to do it replace the clutch, but i am trying to be cost effective, aka, cheap. Since the stock PP has on "ok" clamping force, whats wrong with just using an ACT 6 puck with the stock PP?
I used to have and ACT 2600 with a 6 puck in my galant vr4 and i loved it. i was running 300+hp, but i never really launched it that much. i loved how i could rev up during a roll, and not smell a burning disc. i know engagment of a 6 puck is a bit harsher, but thats what the over revving is for.

i will probably go upto 320hp, or mid 12's. what do you guys think? has anyone used this setup before?
thanx
Old Jun 26, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont have that setup but ive been told by many shops that the stock pressure plate can hold close to 400lb tq but the stock pressure plate is garbage.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elhalisf
i tried to search, but i couldn't find much answers.
right now, i am in the market for a used evo. there is actually a white 04 that i will be bidding on this friday.
anyways, one of the first things i am going to do it replace the clutch, but i am trying to be cost effective, aka, cheap. Since the stock PP has on "ok" clamping force, whats wrong with just using an ACT 6 puck with the stock PP?
I used to have and ACT 2600 with a 6 puck in my galant vr4 and i loved it. i was running 300+hp, but i never really launched it that much. i loved how i could rev up during a roll, and not smell a burning disc. i know engagment of a 6 puck is a bit harsher, but thats what the over revving is for.

i will probably go upto 320hp, or mid 12's. what do you guys think? has anyone used this setup before?
thanx
Sounds like a terrible idea to me...a 2200lb stock pressure plate engaging a 6-puck racing clutch. Wow, at best, you may get away with the ACT street disk, but a 6-puck???

You should not disassemble the clutch/tranny then put it back together with just a 6-puck disk...that would be a disaster.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Sounds like a terrible idea to me...a 2200lb stock pressure plate engaging a 6-puck racing clutch. Wow, at best, you may get away with the ACT street disk, but a 6-puck???

You should not disassemble the clutch/tranny then put it back together with just a 6-puck disk...that would be a disaster.
well, a good friend of mine has a 97 eclipse that runs low 13's with an ACT 2100 and a 6 puck. he has had that setup for about a year and launches the crap out of it. it did him good
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
well, a good friend of mine has a 97 eclipse that runs low 13's with an ACT 2100 and a 6 puck. he has had that setup for about a year and launches the crap out of it. it did him good
Ok, then do it, but his car is slow. We run low 13s stock, so I don't know why he would need a 6-puck. All 3 of my DSMs ran low 12s on an ACT 2600 w/street disk. Not even low 12s was enough to need a 6-puck...
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

How come they charge more (some vendors on here) for the street disc than six puck? Am I missing something? The six puck has a higher clamping force right?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by althemean
How come they charge more (some vendors on here) for the street disc than six puck? Am I missing something? The six puck has a higher clamping force right?
There is less drivability with the 6 puck so therefore more people buy the street clutch and therefore the price is higher.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

If it's anything like the RMR 6 puck and stock PP combo, it is crap. It was the worst engagement of any clutch I have tried.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 06:16 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
you got it backwards...you need to get rid of the stock pressure plate. The stock disc is actually ok. Get the act 2900 and stock disc if you want. I would really just recommend the whole act setup with street disc and it will drive a lot like stock but be able to withstand abuse and power.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo007
There is less drivability with the 6 puck so therefore more people buy the street clutch and therefore the price is higher.
Ahhh...supply and demand
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodave
you got it backwards...you need to get rid of the stock pressure plate. The stock disc is actually ok. Get the act 2900 and stock disc if you want. I would really just recommend the whole act setup with street disc and it will drive a lot like stock but be able to withstand abuse and power.
+1, agreed. I am running this combo, btw, but it is not a cheap alternative like he was hoping for, although there are much more expensive combos than this out there.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

6 puck unsprung is going to be bad for dialy driving.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

for me, nothing but a 6 puck for daily driving. like i said, i had it with a 2600lb AND a lightened flywheel.
i guess ACT's kit for $475 with a 6puck isn't that bad.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by instigator
If it's anything like the RMR 6 puck and stock PP combo, it is crap. It was the worst engagement of any clutch I have tried.
+1 avoid this at all costs.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Using an ACT clutch with a stock pressure plate is basically like having a stock clutch again.

Quick Reply: Act 6 puck and Stock PP. Good combo?