Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car started bucking today, any1 know why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car started bucking today, any1 know why?

Hey all,

Okay my car has the following mods:

- RNR/HKS Carbon-Ti turboback (no downpipe installed yet, just test pipe and catback)
- HKS 272/272 cams
- HKS intake
- HKS SSQV (vta)
- Buschur fmic (installed after reflash)
- ARP Headstuds
- Walbro 255lph pump
- KOYO Radiator (installed after reflash)
- Hallman MBC
- TurboTrix lower IC piping
- SAMCO Silicone radiator hoses (installed after reflash)
- TurboTrix reflash

Now my car was recently involved in a minor collision (slid into a curb), i just got it back from being repaired from a quality collision shop about 4 or 5 days ago.

I've been driving it everyday so far, and nothing seems out of the ordinary, drove just like it did b4 the accident.

However today, i started noticing some wierd behavior.

1. got on the highway, and gunned it (2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear) and as soon as boost hit it wud like hiccup for a second (like a heart missing a beat), and then go into boost like normal. Then it stopped doing it for a while.

2. i'm on a normal empty street, and gun it, and it goes fine (2nd, 3rd,) however when i let off the gas slowly, the car stumbles hard. It's NEVER done anything like that before. it's reacts the same as when ur car stumbles because of ur bov when letting off the gas. However it did it REAL hard and violently. in 2nd and 3rd, as soon as i let off the gas, it would do it (when i'm kinda gunning it). I have a recirculation kit for my hks bov coming in soon, but i don't think that's the cause as i've had my bov setup like this for a few months now, and it's never done anything like this b4.

At first i thought it was because of the heat (real hott today), but even at night when it cooled down a lot, it did it.

Can anyone shed some light on WHY it may be doing this?

All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a fresh set of NGK BR7ES plugs gapped to 25 -if that dont work check for a boost leak
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Try a fresh set of NGK BR7ES plugs gapped to 25 -if that dont work check for a boost leak
+1.... most likely a boost leak. I had that happen after I removed all my IC piping and installed my new BOV. A little freakin worm clamp that was loose cost me 3 hours of tryin to figure out wtf was wrong. Cheack all the clamps on your IC piping.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

the problem maybe is that you may have some water that got in your engine. they most likely washed your engine before you picked it up from the body shop. my suggestion is pull out your spark plug wires and see if there's water in there. if there is spray it with some air to let dry. hope this helps.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

thanks a bunch guys!!

i'll do that tomorrow.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Okay guys well i bought the NGK Plugs (by the way how often should I change my plugs if i'm running these NGK plugs?)

They made the car a lot better, however it seems like it still wants to buck, but it doesn't. Like it'll get to the point where it's right about to, but then doesn't. But it's noticable. I'm guessing i may have a boost leak sumwhere, i'm going to check my IC piping.

Also, Saturday, i went to e-town, only got to ran my car twice, but after the first run I noticed something wierd. I can only notice it when i'm driving slow (like 5-10mph), when i turn the steering wheel slightly to make a turn i notice like some kind of clicking noise, or more like i can feel something knocking against something. If i have my foot lightly on the clutch pedal i can feel it, i can feel it thru the steering wheel too. It feels kinda as if my lugnuts aren't tight and the wheel is hitting the hub, but all my lugs are tight so it can't be that. I'm thinking maybe it's my axle? I've looked underneath, and as best as i can tell i can't see anything physically touching anything else when the car turns.

Any idea's?

thanks again in advance.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jul 4, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like it could be an axle, diff or transfer case. The clicking sounds more like an axle problem. Was it your front or back wheel that hit the curb? Good luck sounds like it might be a PITA to figure out.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

the front passenger wheel hit the hardest at an angle, then the rear passenger side wheel hit flat sideways, but not as severe.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Since it was one of the front tires I would be leaning towards an axle problem on that tire first. Next I would have the transaxle itself checked out. Who knows what that type of impact could have done.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by illegalakkord
when i turn the steering wheel slightly to make a turn i notice like some kind of clicking noise.
sounds like one of your CV joints to me... the little green thing that looks kinda like an oil filter on your stub axle coming out of your transmission and going to your wheel....