Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What brand of Fuel Injection Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which brand of Fuel Injection Cleaner?

Which one do you recommend using?

Redline S1 fuel injector cleaner
STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injection Cleaner
Gumout® XL Fuel Injector Cleaner
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Redline products are top-notch. I'd stick with them.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Redline products are top-notch. I'd stick with them.
yea...redline gear oil is blowing transfer cases up left and right..but they're top-notch. And if you don't believe me..ask Bushnur racing, they blew their transfer case in the middle of a race on redline.

You don't want to use ANY fuel injector cleaners..it leaves deposits on your fuel injectors that will void the warranty after they pull your plugs and see the deposits.

but..if you must use one...use the Chevron Tech....it doesn't have additives.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

The Techron has always worked for me. Its even recomended by Porche & BMW. I've never had any problem with clogged injectors or deposits in the 15 years (8 cars) I've used it. You have to make sure you are buying the straight Techron and not the fuel additive that comes in a bottle and looks like Techron. Also when you put it in run your tank down as low as you can before filling up to get the full benifit. Redline is probably okay, but I'd stay away from STP or Gumout............
Old Jun 29, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CICreations
yea...redline gear oil is blowing transfer cases up left and right..but they're top-notch. And if you don't believe me..ask Bushnur racing, they blew their transfer case in the middle of a race on redline.

nothing against you CICreations, but
do you realy think it was the oils? who knows how many abusive lauches that trasfer case took that day. i believe that everybody likes to point fingers, to save their ***.

i have been running redline for 30,000 miles with 0 problems. and will be changing them again this week, might use a diffrent brand just too see any diffrences.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

How long have you been running Redline in the Transfer case? You better start calling the racers. The only oil that has been holding up is the 90W-LSD oil from Mitsubishi. Redline GL-4 is fine in the transmission. But transfer cases have been blowing and I personally think that Dealers were responsible because they were installing bulk 75W-90 in the TC. I drove to 5 Dealers in my area and ended up orderering the 90W LSD not a single dealer stocked the proper fluids. Now the dealers have been trained and are stocking the LSD oil. call Buschner thay can verify.

Originally Posted by NYEVO8
nothing against you CICreations, but
do you realy think it was the oils? who knows how many abusive lauches that trasfer case took that day. i believe that everybody likes to point fingers, to save their ***.

i have been running redline for 30,000 miles with 0 problems. and will be changing them again this week, might use a diffrent brand just too see any diffrences.

Last edited by zmeli; Jun 29, 2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

i heard not to use fuel injector cleaners since the additives can clog your injectors but it's not part of the maintenance so I wouldn't put it
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Chevron Tech is the only additive that I know of proven per Chevron's website not to leave deposits.

Originally Posted by CICreations

You don't want to use ANY fuel injector cleaners..it leaves deposits on your fuel injectors that will void the warranty after they pull your plugs and see the deposits.

but..if you must use one...use the Chevron Tech....it doesn't have additives.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:30 AM

Redline has been working great for me, my runs great

Last edited by OZtoEvoWanabe; Jun 29, 2005 at 10:32 AM. Reason: messed up
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only ones I use are Chevron or Valvoline ....
In fact the service manager and DSM recommended I use some sort of injector cleaner every once in a while .... They recommended using some uber-doober strong stuff they stock that was more powerful than the ones I mentioned above.

CICreations: As for the tranny and TC blowing due to Redline, I find that hard to believe. As long as you use the correct weight and GL-rated (with or without the necessary friction modifiers) you should be fine. Jon from TRE said that a lot of TCs were going bad due to being incorrectly shimmed from the factory ...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know why I let myself get sucked into threads like this. Everyone always wants to believe that whatever they are using is the best no matter what they read or hear from other Evo owners.

Seacrest out!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

FUEL injector cleanings are a big scam for dealerships. I drove a 1989 honda prelude for 280k and never had a fuel injector fail. I see those dealer recommended fuel injector cleaning adds for $60.00. Never fell for those high profit scams. If your car is running fine your injectors are not clogged. go to http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=5 and look in the fuel additives forum.

Yes the only oil that is required for the TC is 90W-LSD GL-5 The redline was 75W-90. Tranny gets 75w-85 or 75w-90 GL-4.
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
The only ones I use are Chevron or Valvoline ....
In fact the service manager and DSM recommended I use some sort of injector cleaner every once in a while .... They recommended using some uber-doober strong stuff they stock that was more powerful than the ones I mentioned above.

CICreations: As for the tranny and TC blowing due to Redline, I find that hard to believe. As long as you use the correct weight and GL-rated (with or without the necessary friction modifiers) you should be fine. Jon from TRE said that a lot of TCs were going bad due to being incorrectly shimmed from the factory ...

Last edited by zmeli; Jun 29, 2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Zmeli: I agree with you that a lot of cars don't need fuel injector cleaner. Infact the previous cars that I have owned were never treated with fuel injector cleaner, except for the WRX. But those cars were not performance cars either. I do use Chevron with Techron Complete Fuel System Treatment as a precaution on the EVO. I am not as concerned about the fuel injector cleaning as much as I am concerned about its ability to clean the valves, pistons and combustion chambers. Its not uncommon to hear about sticky/gumming valves, so whats a little cheap protection ...
You are correct on the weights of the recommended tranny oils ... cheers
Old Jun 30, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Techron ever since I read a nice tech article in Automotive Engineering (SAE magazine) several years ago. It was probably written by someone at Chevron, but it had all sorts of cool graphs and charts and geeky stuff like that. Like I said though, that was several years ago and I have no idea what the state of the art is these days...

JW