Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how to achieve 400WHP on pump gas...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at the garrett catalog and yes you are correct. There is no specific group for the "30" series. I just went off the atpturbo.com website under the bolt-on evos.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by onesicklambo
yeah..400AWHP is what i really want...not 400hp(crank)
my guidlines are:
stock displacement
no nos
no alky
no nteercooler sprayer
91 cali gas

now from what i have heard form all of you guys, it pretty much depends on the EMS/tuner/ and turbo. I dont really care about the lag...as long as it puts me in the 12's. If thats the case, and my 60trim is not suffecient enough, what will be? rememeber, i dont really care if this is a track car..i want it to be a quarter mile car. if i do upgrade my turbo..will a gt35r..gt30r fit up to my manifold, or will i now have to replace that also?? thanks guys for the input
Dude, if you just want to be in the 12's, simply get yourself something like a Vishnu stage 1+ and call it a day.

Also, if you really want a 1/4 mile car, then why on earth would you run 91 octane at the track? IMHO insisting on running 91 Octane is silly, since it's too easy to run into knock. Get a management system like the XEDE or UTEC or AEM that allows you to quickly switch between 91 octane and racegas maps ... make sure you run a somewhat conservative racegas map, fill'er up at the track and you're done.

For example (and I will use Vishnu here, since I run their system, but substitute any similar setup and you should see similar results):
1.) Vishnu stage 1+ (camgears, 264 cams, full exhaust, XEDE management)
- a.) 91 Octane daily driver map loaded ~300 whp (depends on the dyno)
- b.) Racegas map loaded for track = low 12's (Smogrunner and IE Evo have done this)
2.) Vishnu stage 1+ with White Rabbit turbo
- a.) 91 Octane daily driver map loaded ~340 whp (depends on the dyno)
- b.) Racegas map loaded for track = mid to high 11's
3.) Vishnu stage 1+ with AMS GT3071R kit
- a.) 91 Octane daily driver map loaded ~360 whp (depends on the dyno)
- b.) Racegas map loaded for track = mid 11's
... and so on

Note that I haven't included other mods such as bigger IC, ported head, test-pipe, etc. All of that can help you make more power. Also note that you will need a better clutch if you're going to drag race the car.

The bottom line is that you don't need a bigger turbo to run 12's.

l8r)
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

i agree. C-16 turns evos into freaks.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:42 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Whoosh
I hate to bust your bubble, but if you think that he can run 91 octane gas and run enough boost on a 35R to make 400 HP, you have been terribly missinformed. The GT35R is a high pressure turbo and really does not to start to come alive until 25-26 psi. There's no way he can do that on 91 without knock. If you have a secret way of making that happen, call or pm me quick. You'll be my hero!
I hate to bust your bubble but I'm running RNR GT35R and the last time I dynoed it with 91 oct. with only SAFC-II tuning for 22 psi I got 410 to 415 WHP consistently. My complete mods are:

RNR GT35r with equal-length turbo header (manifold)
HKS 264/272
TBE with cat-deleted
MBC (off course)
S-AFC II

I did try to turn the boost up to 25 psi but the ECU pulled timing on the 91 oct. However, I suck at the drag last time due to my 4th gear shifting problem so I can only do 12.7 with 117 MPH (with 100 oct. for safety nest but same boost level).
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

A 60 trim is sized between a GT30R and a GT35R. The 60 trim is rated around 580hp. You should have no problem making 400whp (Dynojet) on 91 pump or getting into the 11's on race gas w/ it. Unfortunately, the lag on that turbo is going to be terrible.

It all depends on the tuning though.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds right, but the maxed out stocker or healthy WR on pump should always have a clear advantageon shift recovery than a 35 series on pump that is using on 50% of itis potential. Your cams probably made the difference from having a totaly laggy car to somewhat of a reponsive ride. Great numbers!
Originally Posted by G20
I hate to bust your bubble but I'm running RNR GT35R and the last time I dynoed it with 91 oct. with only SAFC-II tuning for 22 psi I got 410 to 415 WHP consistently. My complete mods are:

HKS 264/272
TBE with cat-deleted
MBC (off course)
S-AFC II

I did try to turn the boost up to 25 psi but the ECU pulled timing on the 91 oct. However, I suck at the drag last time due to my 4th gear shifting problem so I can only do 12.7 with 117 MPH (with 100 oct. for safety nest but same boost level).
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Dude, if you just want to be in the 12's, simply get yourself something like a Vishnu stage 1+ and call it a day.

Also, if you really want a 1/4 mile car, then why on earth would you run 91 octane at the track? IMHO insisting on running 91 Octane is silly, since it's too easy to run into knock. Get a management system like the XEDE or UTEC or AEM that allows you to quickly switch between 91 octane and racegas maps ... make sure you run a somewhat conservative racegas map, fill'er up at the track and you're done.

For example (and I will use Vishnu here, since I run their system, but substitute any similar setup and you should see similar results):
1.) Vishnu stage 1+ (camgears, 264 cams, full exhaust, XEDE management)
- a.) 91 Octane daily driver map loaded ~300 whp (depends on the dyno)
- b.) Racegas map loaded for track = low 12's (Smogrunner and IE Evo have done this)
2.) Vishnu stage 1+ with White Rabbit turbo
- a.) 91 Octane daily driver map loaded ~340 whp (depends on the dyno)
- b.) Racegas map loaded for track = mid to high 11's
3.) Vishnu stage 1+ with AMS GT3071R kit
- a.) 91 Octane daily driver map loaded ~360 whp (depends on the dyno)
- b.) Racegas map loaded for track = mid 11's
... and so on

Note that I haven't included other mods such as bigger IC, ported head, test-pipe, etc. All of that can help you make more power. Also note that you will need a better clutch if you're going to drag race the car.

The bottom line is that you don't need a bigger turbo to run 12's.

l8r)
i have a upgraded clutch already, i have a front mount, with piping, i also have the UTEC with a selector switch to switch the mapping.
My whole point witht he 91 octane...is im going to be driving/racing my car ALOT, go out to the local ricer hang out and race...drive down to the local raceway(50miles) and race, i want to have this power(400WHP) available AT ANY GIVIN TIME, doesnt matter if im at a astoplight or on the track. Yes on some occasions i will run higher octane(91/100mix) but 99/100 times im in my car i will probably not want to go through the hassles of filling up with race gas, and stuff. Its just i guess "conveinent"? for me to want to make this power on 91 so i can go out drive regualr and have the power i want. sorry if im confusing.. lol
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
A 60 trim is sized between a GT30R and a GT35R. The 60 trim is rated around 580hp. You should have no problem making 400whp (Dynojet) on 91 pump or getting into the 11's on race gas w/ it. Unfortunately, the lag on that turbo is going to be terrible.

It all depends on the tuning though.
ya i knew lag before i jumped into this turbo setup..but unfortunatly i thought that this turbo would make up for it when it spools and put down some good numbers( im saying that hypethetically because my car is being dynoed as we speak and i do not know the numbers yet) but i bought hks 264/264 hoping that that givethe low end a little more UMPH and help out with the lag. Also i purchased a exhuats cutout..dunno if it wil help much?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:01 PM
G20
Evolved Member

i have a upgraded clutch already, i have a front mount, with piping, i also have the UTEC with a selector switch to switch the mapping.
My whole point witht he 91 octane...is im going to be driving/racing my car ALOT, go out to the local ricer hang out and race...drive down to the local raceway(50miles) and race, i want to have this power(400WHP) available AT ANY GIVIN TIME, doesnt matter if im at a astoplight or on the track. Yes on some occasions i will run higher octane(91/100mix) but 99/100 times im in my car i will probably not want to go through the hassles of filling up with race gas, and stuff. Its just i guess "conveinent"? for me to want to make this power on 91 so i can go out drive regualr and have the power i want. sorry if im confusing.. lol
You'll have over 400 WHP guaranty with either GT30R or GT35R, cams (a must), TBE w/ cat-deleted (a must), tuning with UTEC. Since you're local, take your car to Tuning Technologies or Harman Motive for dyno after that.

As some members pointed out, make sure you're not running too high boost with 91.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20
You'll have over 400 WHP guaranty with either GT30R or GT35R, cams (a must), TBE w/ cat-deleted (a must), tuning with UTEC. Since you're local, take your car to Tuning Technologies or Harman Motive for dyno after that.

As some members pointed out, make sure you're not running too high boost with 91.
thanks, ya im getting it dynoed at san rafael mitsubishi performance center. I live in sacramento, and dont knwo how far away those places are. If i can make over 400 with those turbos..how about the one i have? i dont knwo too mcuh about it except people tellling me to upgrade. lol and what do you suggest as far as boost levels before pulling timing.. running pump(91)? like maybe 23 at the highest?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by G20

HKS 264/272
TBE with cat-deleted
MBC (off course)
S-AFC II

You sir, is whoosh's new hero =)
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:12 PM
G20
Evolved Member

thanks, ya im getting it dynoed at san rafael mitsubishi performance center. I live in sacramento, and dont knwo how far away those places are. If i can make over 400 with those turbos..how about the one i have? i dont knwo too mcuh about it except people tellling me to upgrade. lol and what do you suggest as far as boost levels before pulling timing.. running pump(91)? like maybe 23 at the highest?
Per my experience on my car, running more than 23 psi with GT35R on 91 oct. will make the ECU pull timing on the dyno. It maybe varying for different turbo. I believe your current turbo can also making over 400 as well with good tuning and supporting mods. Who ever told you to upgrade maybe want your money or just a careless statement. Make sure you get cams and cat-deleted for all those air flowing by the big turbo.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20
Per my experience on my car, running more than 23 psi with GT35R on 91 oct. will make the ECU pull timing on the dyno. It maybe varying for different turbo. I believe your current turbo can also making over 400 as well with good tuning and supporting mods. Who ever told you to upgrade maybe want your money or just a careless statement. Make sure you get cams and cat-deleted for all those air flowing by the big turbo.
thanks, and as my previous posts i posted my mods which do include downpipe, cat-del, cat back, cams, pump, studs, 750cc' etc.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

You're crazy to run a GT35 if you only plan on running 91 octane. It will be laggy and no fun to drive. The GT35 turbo really comes alive at higher boost which you can't run with 91 octane. Get yourself a Bushcur stage4 (or equivalent) with a smaller turbo and you'll have a great daily 91 octane driver.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20

HKS 264/272
TBE with cat-deleted
MBC (off course)
S-AFC II

Do you have a dyno sheet that you can post? It's not that I doubt your HP claim but I'd like to see the power curve on this setup with 91 octane. Thanks.

Quick Reply: how to achieve 400WHP on pump gas...