Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who makes the best cylinderhead for my EVO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes the best cylinderhead for my EVO

Hi! I am in the process of building a 2,3 l stroker with a GT 35R turbo,12mm piper cams, and more, My question now is what tuner i should buy a ported cylinderhead from. Buschur?, AMS?, FRH?, any other tuner?. Whats is the general opinon on this topic: Who makes the best cylinderhead for my EVO VI Best regards Roland S, Sweden.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 04:05 AM

I don't think anyone has spent as much time on the flow bench as Buschur has. Their package shows solid gains and comes from a reputable shop. Go with them.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apoe117
I don't think anyone has spent as much time on the flow bench as Buschur has. Their package shows solid gains and comes from a reputable shop. Go with them.
+1
Old Jul 1, 2005, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard any specs on AMS's cylinder head but wish I had, Also AMS works with FRH.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Turbo Trix is starting to market their machining experience gained from their 9 sec Evo, try to contact them for details, they're great guys.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:54 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 200sx
My question now is what tuner i should buy a ported cylinderhead from.
i highly recommend head games motorworks, that is where every one of our (and our customers) heads go.

Headgames ports Sean Glazer's heads (for reference). The work is very very very good, just slow. However his prices are so reasonable, its worth the wait.

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jul 1, 2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by apoe117
are there published flow charts? Id be interested to see how the heads flow
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:05 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
i would send it to switzer performance or whoever curt brown used (CBRE on here)
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
www.PortFlow.com

Buschur & other reputable shops are certain to produce great products.

I could be wrong, but I dont believe to many other vendors here have as much engine manufacturer Championship winning experience as Tom @ Portflow.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curt Browns is Garage-Defeat. I may be going with them, just price is a little bit high. Worth the money though.

Wish some vendors would chirp up about some stuff. I am yet to see one person who has run AMS's head but I can't see why no one has. TT or buschur anyone? RNR?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 04:52 PM

Roland,why dont you try here in sweden first : )

Give Goran "dr Ernie" Englund a call on 070-2104310

Old Jul 1, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

FRH is one of the best headporting shops in the country. Plus Dale has LOTS of experience with 4G63 heads. AMS uses FRH for all their customer's heads.

www.forresterracingheads.com
Old Jul 1, 2005, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Our heads perform across the entire RPM and lift range. There are mention of quite a few shops on here that can do the porting work. Some of them I have had here on "our" flow bench and tested. Most of which were well off from advertised and the others were just a complete joke. I have lists of heads we have flowed and the numbers they produced.

Any car running nitrous can be left out of head equation as far as I am concerned. So when looking at who is running what, if you are looking at their head just skip them if the car is on nitrous. Put enough nitrous in the engine and it will run with a ****ty worn out stock head. I know this from running our own cars and using parts in a pinch.

We have AWD DSM's running 10.0's without any nitrous and still close to 3,000 pounds. We have EVO's making in excess of 600 whp with our heads and no nitrous. They are reliable and machined correctly. We use SS o-rings in the head for extra sealing, SS valves that are then coated, upgraded springs and titinium retainers.

We do not advertise flow rates although I will tell someone the percentage we gained. A fliow bench is a dyno. Everyone reads different and the one we use is WAY off from the SuperFlow that every other shop seems to use. Superflow reads substantially higher than the bench we use.

We have cut heads apart with band saws to find where they can and can't be ported, destroyed quite a few porting them to find the best all around way to do it.

Anyone can hog a port out and get a big number at high lift. A bunch of guys have found after their great port work they immediately or shortly after running the head they get water in their combustion chambers. There is only so much that can be taken out of certain areas and some of those areas would be the most beneficial place to remove/reshape it.

Remember, most cams for the 4g63 only lift to about .420, call it .450 if you want. I see guys flowing heads and making big claims at .500 lift, who cares?! The engine never sees .500 lift!

The heads for the EVO gain flow from .100 to .450 where we stop flowing them.

There is my input. Buy your head from whoever you like, we honestly have a very difficult time keeping up with head porting anyway, two weeks is our turn around time. When you get it the job is done right. No shortcuts and the same head porting/parts we would install on our own cars.

Thanks,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:44 PM

David, what is the usual gain, in percentage, in porting the 4g63 heads?

Regards,
Ipe
Old Jul 4, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

curtbrown's head was not from garage-defeat.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best cylinderhead for my EVO