Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tale of two intake manifolds - is bigger better?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:10 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tale of two intake manifolds - is bigger better?

Here is a comparison of two different intake manifolds on my evo.

The BJ's intake is really nice looking and massive. It has huge runners that are tapered. It also really contributed to turbo lag and killed our low end power.

The Magnus intake seems to really help the low end power, creating mush faster velocity and more snap on the low end.

65 mph is about 5500 rpms and 22.5 psi of boost. Both set ups made the same exact boost level at 5500. As you can see the Magnus is making 63 more whp at that rpm with the same boopst level.

Up top, after 7200 rpms 82 mph - the BJ starts to make a slight advantage in the flow - but IMHO not worth the trade off down low.

Next up, I will be testing a AMS intake and a JUn intake.

Making power and going fast is hard work.

For now I am proud to be running the Magnus intake and I have a new Mangus with improved velocity stacks to also test next week.

Attached Thumbnails Tale of two intake manifolds - is bigger better?-twointakes.jpg  
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

cool review. I also have that intake mani.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

so, do you think magnus and stock evo intake manifold have similar feeling downlow and dont make turbo spool slower?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

Good information. Would have been perfect with torque #s and to see the curve.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

This is great information! It'd be nice to see your mods, as this is obviously going to be much different for those people with different setups.

On a side note, it'd be nice to see more of these things on EvoM. Sometimes it seems that the people that have the ability to make these types of comparisons are hesitant to do so, as they don't want to hurt their sales. (This isn't directed at anyone in specific, it's just a general note)
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

I figured this is why you posted the BJ's for sale. Still though it sucks that it costs that much money to see the true results. That is a big difference at that boost level.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Al, isn't it true that at different power levels one manifold might be more beneficial to you than another? I thought depending on the runner lengths, some are more for higher rpm range (above 8K rpms) and some are better for lower rpm range.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

i got the magnus with velocity stacks hope results are good so that i know i made a good purchase.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Geo@EvoStore
Good information. Would have been perfect with torque #s and to see the curve.
Just calculate the torque from the HP graph.

Can't wait to see the results of more intake testing.

l8r)
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:07 PM
Account Disabled

could you put up a dyno plot of rpm instead of mph, and add tq to the plot?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
could you put up a dyno plot of rpm instead of mph, and add tq to the plot?
+1 on that. Also I wouldnt mind seeing a plot of the Magnus intake ran to the same RPMs that the BJ's was. On a all out drag car the BJ's intake would be better I would imagine but for a daily driver the Magnus looks like the best bang. Not to sure though I still want to see the torque curve of both intake manifolds. Great info Al!!!!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Can't wait to see the #'s on the JUN mani, see if its worth the 3400 dollar price.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 02:24 PM
Account Disabled

one more thing worth considering is to use a good exhaust manifold. I am willing to bet that the power on the BJ manifold would pick up significantly if you used an exh manifold that allowed the motor to exhale too.

the magnus plenum is so small compared to what we have seen work on everything else i feel that the results you are seeing might be due to a high pressure area between the exh valve and turbine wheel. i dont see how the tiny magnus plenum can work so well
Old Jul 1, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
one more thing worth considering is to use a good exhaust manifold. I am willing to bet that the power on the BJ manifold would pick up significantly if you used an exh manifold that allowed the motor to exhale too.

the magnus plenum is so small compared to what we have seen work on everything else i feel that the results you are seeing might be due to a high pressure area between the exh valve and turbine wheel. i dont see how the tiny magnus plenum can work so well
Considering all the information isn't posted you can't consider this a legitimate comparision. I would think plenum volume, runner length, runner shape, and supporting mods would play a key role in determining which is best for certain setups. There have been a few articles on this subject.

Al, please post the mods on the vehicle too.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

JUN products are great, BUT severely overpriced considering there are others out there as good or close to the same performance without the heavy price tag.

$3400 is absolutely rediculous. It doesn't cost anywhere near that amount to make them, but people keep buying them so the price stays the same.

Originally Posted by Kwman
Can't wait to see the #'s on the JUN mani, see if its worth the 3400 dollar price.

Quick Reply: Tale of two intake manifolds - is bigger better?