Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help With Hoses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Hoses

I just finished installing all new Samco piping and I have 2 questions:

1. Keep blowing the lower IC piping off, now matter how hard I crank it down. Is there any way to get that thing reattached without removing the front bumper? I have an APR splitter, making it even more fun. Lame question, I'm sure, but hoping for a trick.

2. Anyone know where I can score some aircraft grade hose clamps so that I can permanently replace all of them?

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

If you can, try some hairspray on the IC pipe. I would buy some T-bolt clamps to clamp it down. Those two together are not going to come loose, I assure you. I think you can buy t-bolt clamps at NAPA. As far as how to access the hose without taking off the bumper, I'm not sure about that one. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jegs or Summit for the clamps. like $4 a piece, don't think you'll beat that price and they are quality clamps.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

I need to grab some clamps too.. are the TBolt clamps @ NAPA not the same quality as jegs or summit? They are around 1$ each.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$1! that's for stainless t-bolt clamps?
Old Jul 4, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

i think T-bolts go for a bit more than $1. but yea u should definitely get T-bolt clamps because the stock ones just dont have the capacity to stay on once you start boosting more. my car has left me dead stuck on the freeway countless times when i had my stock clamps. then when i upgraded my pipes, the company sent me one less t-clamp and the one stock clamp i was using continued to come loose and blow off.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 06:15 PM

Sweet tip. Thanks. Got em on express.

Pix in the gallery shortly of the beast.

Originally Posted by timzcat
Jegs or Summit for the clamps. like $4 a piece, don't think you'll beat that price and they are quality clamps.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Ive had problems blowing off a lower hose too( t bolt clamps and all). Its possible to put it back on without the bumper off, ive done it about 5 times already... make sure to take the entire splash shield off in 1 piece, and of course your going to need to jack the car up. Like someone else said hairspray works good, I used crazy glue. Havent had a problem since.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by megatron
u should definitely get T-bolt clamps because the stock ones just dont have the capacity to stay on once you start boosting more.
I'm definitely going for t-bolt clamps and will probably use a mild adhesive in conjunction. Strange thing is that my boost overall is actually down. I installed the GReddy 24V IC, so max boost is down about 1 lb. psi. I think it actually has something to do with the material used in the construction of the Samco piping and a mismatch with the stock clamps. I suspect that if I were running the stock IC piping material with the stock hose clamps, they'd probably stay on. Wierd, but that's tuning eh? I pulled from bumper off and fixed it for now, but there's no way I'm going to have the confidence to get on it again until I get those clamps replaced. Weak. Missed a beautiful day of driving.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jaybeau
I'm definitely going for t-bolt clamps and will probably use a mild adhesive in conjunction. Strange thing is that my boost overall is actually down. I installed the GReddy 24V IC, so max boost is down about 1 lb. psi. I think it actually has something to do with the material used in the construction of the Samco piping and a mismatch with the stock clamps. I suspect that if I were running the stock IC piping material with the stock hose clamps, they'd probably stay on. Wierd, but that's tuning eh? I pulled from bumper off and fixed it for now, but there's no way I'm going to have the confidence to get on it again until I get those clamps replaced. Weak. Missed a beautiful day of driving.
Losing boost with a bigger intercooler is common because it has more of a pressure drop, just up that boost controller to compensate. What intercooler piping are you using by the way?? im guesing its the greddy that came with the intercooler.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Haveing Tbolt clamps is a plus , I got mine from a place called Mcmaster , they are in Socal ,Kinda like a big parts wherehouse for industrial stuff they so just happed to have T-bolt clamps .
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by cleanevo
Haveing Tbolt clamps is a plus , I got mine from a place called Mcmaster , they are in Socal ,Kinda like a big parts wherehouse for industrial stuff they so just happed to have T-bolt clamps .
Another newb question: Any chance you can clue me in on the diameters I need to buy to replace all of the clamps? Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
Losing boost with a bigger intercooler is common because it has more of a pressure drop, just up that boost controller to compensate. What intercooler piping are you using by the way?? im guesing its the greddy that came with the intercooler.
Yeah, I expected to lose boost. No worries. Power is up (310 WHP) and the curve is much flatter. I'll crank it back up after I drive it for a month or so. I want to see what the ECU is able to figure out. I'm using the lower piping that came with the GReddy 24V, I purchased the GReddy upper IC piping as well. All other piping is the Samco stuff.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
$1! that's for stainless t-bolt clamps?

Yeah I think I was wrong... I can't even find them on NAPA's site.. their site is such a craphole.. Going to get em from Summit.