Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how much of a loss in power does a boost leak cause?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much of a loss in power does a boost leak cause?

I have a boost leak at the flange where the turbo compressor side bolts up to the intercooler piping. I know the cause is my greddy I/C pipe since i just found out after having it on for a year and always having a leak. even after trying several different gaskets . the lower i/c pipe flange was was welded wrong and when trying tpo lay the pipe on a flat surface is does not lie flat but rocks back and forth thus causing the leak. But how much power could i be losing because of this? i already ordered a helix i/c pipe kit to fit the problem.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on how bad it's leaking.

Should be fine once you swap it out though.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

How well does your boost hold until redline? If it's not a noticeable drop then I wouldn't worry too much about having a leak.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

at redline my boost would drop around 2-3lbs. i did a soap and water test yesterday and at idle it immediately made a large bubble and bubble from the area , at wot it would blow away the soap and water away from the area.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Mine does the same thing... I thought I was leaking, but wasn't too certain. I'm sure we are losing at least 10 hp from it. Time for some T-Bolt clamps. Also if you're using the stock DV that might be a problem to. I'm not though.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

No i have forge DV. the area i am talking about is where the intercooler pipe actually bolts up to the turbo and since the flange of the i/c pipe is bent and not flush with the turbo and causing it to leak.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got me car fixed from the same problem with a buchur pipe. my car held boost fine, but it sounded like it was supercharged. my car was slow as hell on the highway and it just screamed. I havent gotten on it yet because I want to give the silicon a good 12 hours to make sure its dry.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Same problem here, same buschur pipe. Also i think i damaged the wastegate bending the bracket.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

my helix kit comes in on fri hopefully. what type of sealant did you use.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chur from Elite motorsports I believe gained about 150hp after fixing his boost leak when he still had the DSM. It may be off by a little bit but right around there. It all depends on how big the leak is.. for instance on another dsm that is about 450hp to the ground only hit 395 with a pretty small leak. The bigger the leak obviously the more power loss and even small leaks can severly hurt it... the more power you make the more you lose also obviously. It is all a percentage you could say.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
I just got me car fixed from the same problem with a buchur pipe. my car held boost fine, but it sounded like it was supercharged. my car was slow as hell on the highway and it just screamed. I havent gotten on it yet because I want to give the silicon a good 12 hours to make sure its dry.
Let me get this straight because I also have a BR lower intercooler pipe. Boost holds fine at 20lb, etc but the car feels slower?? Is this correct because I might be having the same problem.How's your idle at cold start? when it gets warm?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Your car should be able to still hold low boost like 20 with a decent leak. The boost controller will just let the turbo push more air until it can hold it there... you will just be losing alot of the air the turbo is pushing making it much less efficient, making it laggier and obviously less powerful.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

You lose lots of power with a boost leak. I had one the other month. The car ran fine-but when I fixed it it ran 800% better. Dont under estimate a boost leak effect on power.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

anyone with the AMS LICP notice a boost leak from the flange?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have the ams pipe and im having major power loss issues somewhere.. only dynoing. I need to take my bumper off and check it out.

Quick Reply: how much of a loss in power does a boost leak cause?