Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfiring system?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i always get mixed up on that part
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by Evolve
when the turbine loses this power, it slows down and needs time to spin up again, which creates the lag. the way a misfiring system works is, when this happens, it senses it immediately and injects fuel directly into the exhaust system itself.
It is a little simpler than that, there is no "sensing" done, the ecu is programed (when the system is turned on, there is usually a switch) to richen the mixture and retard the timing when the throttle is closed, some of the rich mixture travels into the exhaust manifold and is ignited by the late firing of the spark plug (retarded timing) so "dirty" combustion takes place in the cylinder and travels into the exhaust, hense the popping and backfiring. The good news though is that your turbine is spinning like mad (= lotsa' boost and no lag )
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

For a more detail/complete description, see this:

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
Old Feb 27, 2003, 11:35 PM

IIRC, this is one of the many things you can do with the AEM EMS. Of course, all the caveats list above apply I remember hearing something about using ceramic turbines in actual rally cars using this.

Ever since watching Initial D, I've always ended up calling the ALS a "misfiring system". My friends look at me funny, but I still think it's a cool name
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CornerHard

Ever since watching Initial D, I've always ended up calling the ALS a "misfiring system". My friends look at me funny, but I still think it's a cool name
I think "bang bang" is the funniest name given to these ALS systems.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:48 PM

Questions

Hihi! I know this topic is probably old, but I have a *Few* questions.

First, Is it possible to buy a Mis-Fire system? just wondering

Secondly, you guys say that the Exaust system gets killed along with the turbo quickly, does the ENTIRE Exaust System die, or does a specific part fail?

Thirdly, Why are they Illegal?

And it's Not TOO hard to get a Lan Evo, just search for Importers or something, and with patience, you'll find someone that will import you one; for a price
I was going to get a car imported, but something happened to me financially, so I had to bail :/
I forget the site I was going to get it from, but the owner gave me a copy (in a .PDF) of his Passport, so it looked like he wasn't a scammer. Hope someone finds this usefull

I was looking for some info on the subject and found this site.
Obviousley I've seen Initial D, so I call it MisFire
(btw: if you don't understand the name, don't make fun of it! )
Thankies
Old Oct 11, 2003, 02:04 PM

lets bring this post back to life! heh. Well guys i have another question, exactly how does the ALS system destroy the turbo and your exhaust system?
Old Oct 11, 2003, 06:45 PM

ALS/Misfiring system is hard on turbos and exhaust manifolds because when the fuel mixture detonates outside the combustion chamber, EGTs soar far over normal levels. You can potentially crack/warp the exhaust manifold, burn exhaust valves, and do any number of bad things to the turbo with all the excess heat. It's not really a great idea unless you're on a rally team who can afford to replace parts all the time or just doing it for kicks at idle.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

It's illegal because you are definitely blowing your smog legality out of the water; not to mention the decibel limits. It ruins your turbo and manifold; think of putting several cutting torches on your turbo and see what that does for it. I have heard of it being used on street racing cars but only to launch and only when money is involved.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:27 PM
Y2A

sorry to bring a old post back up but I need input

I read on a page that rally teams were starting to use a more safer and efficient way to reduce lag called "Exhaust Gas Recirculation", how is it different from the old Anti-Lag system that was used? and how can it be done on the EVO? is it worth it?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 02:05 AM

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/homeim...ntonio10.3.wmv
check it out, a viper with a misfiring system. I live in northern japan and at the local streetraces there is a celica gt4 that has one of these kits and he gets some damn good launches.