Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfiring system?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring system?

hello i'm new here, i'm new to the LanEvo and i was wondering can u guys tell me wut is a misfiring system? and what does it do?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Did you hear that off of Initial D? That was like the only place i've heard of that. I think they were refering to an antilag system for turbos.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:24 AM

yeah i heard it off initial D and I was interested in it... Airicly do u own an evo? i'm from orange County too.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:27 AM

a misfiring system is basically a solution to turbo lag. when a driver (with turbo) lifts his foot off the gas to make a turn, there is a sudden drop of power, obviously, and so there is a loss of exhaust gases which lowers the pressure needed to drive the turbine. when the turbine loses this power, it slows down and needs time to spin up again, which creates the lag. the way a misfiring system works is, when this happens, it senses it immediately and injects fuel directly into the exhaust system itself. The fuel is detonated in the exhaust manifold, creating that pop you hear and the force of this mini-explosion is enough to maintain boost pressure needed to keep the turbo up to speed even when the car is slowing down, thus virtually eliminating any lag and maximizing power coming out of a turn. However, these are illegal on street cars, and eventually ruins the turbo and exhaust system. Hope this helps

Last edited by Evolve; Feb 25, 2003 at 12:34 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

haha i wish i had an Evo. Yeah I'm from Orange County. Fountain Valley to be exact.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:29 AM

wow thanks for the info on the misfiring system yeah that does help alot.... hehe airicly i live close to u man Westminster lolz how old are u? i'm 17
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:31 AM

oh yeah how much woudl a misfiring system cost? and can i put it on any car with a turbo? or is it made specifically for Evo's?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

oh damn...neighbors pretty much. i'm 20
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

misfiring system would totally destory your exhaust in a few hundred miles. Their used in real race cars like rally cars. It's wishful thinking to get it on a street car.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:48 AM

as far as i know, any car with turbo can have a misfiring system. however, like i mentioned, they'll destroy your turbo AND exhaust before long, and if you get caught with one on the streets...youre in trouble. as for the cost, im really not sure. if youre that interested, im sure there is info available on the net. good luck
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:53 AM

i see.. hehe well i won't get it then... do you guys know where i can buy an EVO 3 or 4? i like those much more than the 7's and 8. My parents are thinking about buying me a car and i would like a 3 or 4 very much.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a couple thing add to the description. If my memory serves me correctly, when the thottle is lifed, actually, the compressed air (before combustion) get bypass the engine and directed to the exhaust turbine, and THEN the "explosion" take place. Since it is very unlikey you can add fuel to exhaust gas (not much Oxygen left) to have another detonation...

Since this system is VERY loud, and will cause turbo rebuild after every race (like others have mentioned), it's highly unfeaseable for street use....other name for the ALS is the "bang-bang system"
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Vietboiphong
i see.. hehe well i won't get it then... do you guys know where i can buy an EVO 3 or 4? i like those much more than the 7's and 8. My parents are thinking about buying me a car and i would like a 3 or 4 very much.
There are some EVO III and IV roaming the country as "Race-only" cars, which means they're not for street use. You might find one or two street legal example that were brought in by some "creative" methods, however, it's very un-common to find one for sale.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:38 AM

yeah i think thats right Lan Evo, my bad
Old Feb 25, 2003, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

i think it has something to do on principle with a timing advance
so you get combustion when the exhaust valves are like half open