Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crankwalk?!?....wtf!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankwalk?!?....wtf!!!!

i just found out today that my motor most likely has crankwalk...i had orginally sent my car back to a performance shop that did my clutch to fix it cuz it wasnt engaging right and i had a bad ticking noise when it was....it turns out that he says its the crank pulley and the wandering crank that was making the ticking noise...and that all my bearings are ****ed up...im so pissed...i dont even hae 20,000 miles either...i dotn know what to do..

-Matt
Old Jul 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Crankwalk?...Does that even exist after the 2G Eclipse? If so, this is a case of first impression for the Evo.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kimletrim
Crankwalk?...Does that even exist after the 2G Eclipse? If so, this is a case of first impression for the Evo.
yes..that is why im sooo surprised...i know crankwalk was only the 92.5 to 99 dsms....but we do have 7 bolts...
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks bad guy. this is the first crankwalk i have heard of on a evo. did this problem start right after your clutch swap? why did you change your clutch? any noises prior to swap? keep us updated.

i believe i saw you the other night, i have the red rs with with window air deflectors. g/l.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by NapervilleEVO
that sucks bad guy. this is the first crankwalk i have heard of on a evo. did this problem start right after your clutch swap? why did you change your clutch? any noises prior to swap? keep us updated.

i believe i saw you the other night, i have the red rs with with window air deflectors. g/l.
yea...the new clutch brought about the problem alot faster cuz of its harsher engagement..btw..i have a cf hood as well..i might have seen you man...where was it at?

edit-- you should join our site man...we need more evos from around here...weve been up for like 3 months and already have 250 members..put toghetr meets..dyno days..price discounts from sponsers....just thought i would let you know
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told by my mechanic that the EVO clutch doesn't put as much stress on the crank as the DSM's clutch and crankwalk would not be an issue on the EVOs.

If I had to guess, is the shop telling you that you have crankwalk the same shop that did your clutch install?

Sounds to me like a poor install with the clutch if that's when the problem started occurring.

If it were me I would take it to the dealership for a second opinion, it sounds kinda fishy to me.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

agreed I would consult another shop or dealer. Prolly a poor clutch install or 2 things occuring at the same time that are not related to the same problem.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

i didn't see a blue evo with a cf hood. i have only seen one blue evo around town, so i figured it was you. do you still have your warranty? whod you buy it from? max madsen aurora has been really cool, even w/ my mods. they didn't see my safc though.

checking out the site right now. i might come up tommorow to drive to the city, but i might be busy. plus im sick of people asking why my tail lights are popped out a little. sub sliding around the trunck the first couple days I had it. no any cheap body shops around our parts?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crankwalk was a prone problem still found on evo4 motors, i've been reading heavily on the problem they face since i'm also running an evo4 motor and have just recently had a rod bearing failure in my motor, the only thing i've passed by seperateing the evo 4 motors from 5-8 has been strengthend(or somehow upgraded) main bearings, although my motor has not officially "crankwalked" i'm upgrading all bearings, crank, rods, and pistons, to Evo8 spec to hopefully minimize the chances of walking...at any rate...i think my point still stands, evo8 blocks are still capable of walking, just not as easily...if anyone else knows any other differences please post ur knowledge...

-Adam
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Thats beat bro - time for a new built motor I guess?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:50 PM

yea...as you can see in my sig..that was going to happen anyway...not sure what im still doing tho..this sucks

Last edited by Evo8kid; Jul 7, 2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would definitely get a second opinion and if it is in fact crankwalk.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

could it be your the Crank walk winner out of million Evos ?
if so you should buy the lottory !
Old Jul 7, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Take it to a decent mitsu dealer and have em do a check. This is pretty important if you actually have crankwalk. Also, what clutch did you put in?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:06 PM

I've heard of a few isolated cases of 7's crankwalking mostly in Europe and Asia. Honestly, we tore down a motor on a 8 a few months back with about 18k miles on it. He had in a ACT HD PP with a 6 puck unsprung disk in it and sure enough his thrust bearing endplay was way off from factory spec..meaning that motor had symtoms of crankwalk..we were like OH NO! not this motor too! I agree with everyone here get a 2nd opinion and if at all possible try to get it from Mitsubishi. Good Luck and DEFINATELY keep us posted!!

Quick Reply: Crankwalk?!?....wtf!!!!