Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am 41, so the guy with the GN 20 years ago must be older than me, why are there us old people here? Lawrence Welk not on TV? Dennys closed for rennovation?, I just like to sit here till my "Depends" is full ( it will hold about 18 lbs of urine) and 4 BM's, then I gotta get up and change!jk
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Just for your information - when I was doing some work on my car a few weeks ago I forgot to attach the - 4 line to the intercooler pipe and I was spraying raw methanol all over my exhuast manifold on the dyno.

The run was too lean and by the time I figured out what was going on there was a huge puddle of methanol on the floor and all over the engine

Of course nothing happend

Sure, methanol is flamable - but so is gasoline

Those who are concerened - that is why the kits that I sell are designed t work on windshield washer fluid or 50% water 50% alcohol mix
Thanks for input Al, is this the mixture for the MOST HP? Forget about saftey for a moment.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use st. ides. 40 oz fool. jj. what about getting the weapon-r oil res. thing(fits in the middle of the shock tower brace) and adapt it to the system????
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

havent seen one, but will investigate! I started reading your post, and first thought you are from a foriegn country, was right in the middle of a seizure, or was slipping into a diabetic coma, but I guess this is some kind of line in a movie? I get the humor though, right on!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't think there is that much power to be had with meth over strait alky. You should be able to run a much more aggressive map than just your 93 octane map with 100% alky spraying in.....

i would say make a 93 map, make a 93+alky map, then make a 93+ meth map.

that way, you have a map if your tank gets empty somehow, you have a map thats much better than your pump map everyday on the street, then you have a race day map(which until someone specifies otherwise, i don't think will net more than a few HP more than alky)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

check this out:
get the weapon r thing, hook up an low volume inline fuel pump,the aloc. controler, right to the mistors- wholla! you can set this up and run straight aloc. with no prob. ....this would be a much safer set up but would not hold as much go go juice---
btw, is this stuff that much cheaper than sprayin????
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

not if you are using meth, that stuff aint cheap!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Those who are concerened - that is why the kits that I sell are designed t work on windshield washer fluid or 50% water 50% alcohol mix
Are you assuming that 50/50 isn't flammable or have you tested it? I've read at least a couple of accounts of people testing a mixes of water and methanol for flammability and they found that you had to go 70/30 before it wouldn't burn. It isn't hard to test. Just mix some up in a glass, dump it on the ground and throw a match on it. If you feel heat, then it's burning (flame is invisible).
Old Jul 7, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Certainly correct me if I am wrong I am a ME not a ChemE but if Methanol follows suit to Nitromethane then it is not as flammable as you may think. You can take an open container of nitromethane or even some really high octane race gasses and toss a match in them and it will extinguich the match. I can not find any data right now to support this but I have not looked real hard either.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:50 PM

I thought that was the case with slower burning fuels (less octane) like heating oil, etc. I can't see running a flammable liquid without all of the failsafes a traditional fuel system has.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 01:32 AM

I dont see how this leak happend. Was the pump on had tight or the line? If it was the pump why would it not leak when the tank was filled? If it was the line it would have only been a small amount due to the check valve next to the pump unless you were driving around with a child under full boost. Also the SMC kit doesnt have an option of spraying under 6 psi which is'nt alot but if you have a child in the car while doing it its a little concernig in itself. So were you getting on it or what I need a few more details before I can really be all that concerned about driving with a child in my car. Not trying to pick apart your story but I'd like to know thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NTHECRUX
I dont see how this leak happend. Was the pump on had tight or the line? If it was the pump why would it not leak when the tank was filled? If it was the line it would have only been a small amount due to the check valve next to the pump unless you were driving around with a child under full boost. Also the SMC kit doesnt have an option of spraying under 6 psi which is'nt alot but if you have a child in the car while doing it its a little concernig in itself. So were you getting on it or what I need a few more details before I can really be all that concerned about driving with a child in my car. Not trying to pick apart your story but I'd like to know thanks.
I got on it a bit in 1st gear leaving a car-wash, not fast, no wheel-spin. but got the RPM's up there a bit when the car started to sputter and stall. I later found out that one of the lines connecting to the sprayer bottle ( on the bottom) was only finger tight, which I later tightened with a wrench-no more leak. It could have been leaking gradually and I didn't see it, but the car-wash could have loosened it more, as I knew I was off to the dyno the next-day and did not reinstall my APR splitter back on (clearence issue for the dyno). so the bottom end was OPEN and probably the fitting became more loose by the car-wash spraying under the engine compartment!

If you read the start of the thread, i tried to start the car over and over again, and it was like it was flooded, that was because the Alky kit was ALSO MIS-wired, the pump was continuously on ( was mis wired to the TPS) and it filled my intake with raw methanol, hence the reason it wouldn't start. Didnt have a drivability problem though driving it OFF boost though, only when I did the exit from the car-wash. I am not a mechanic or a electritian, so I can't really explain much more that this. I had to leave the car at Dyno4mance, as when we started to do the Methanol map, I turned the Key over on the dyno, and Andrew told me to STOP,as he was up front by the pump, and he said he can hear the pump running. ( car wasn't on, key ONLY turned over) He said it the intake is filling up with methanol and the car wouldnt start, I turned the key over, and wallah, it was like it was flooded again (Like a carberated car) So, the hose was finger-tight causing a leak (fixed now-tightened), and the MAP sensor was wired wrong, being fixed on Monday. Hope this helps out!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 04:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by MM Racing
Certainly correct me if I am wrong I am a ME not a ChemE but if Methanol follows suit to Nitromethane then it is not as flammable as you may think. You can take an open container of nitromethane or even some really high octane race gasses and toss a match in them and it will extinguich the match. I can not find any data right now to support this but I have not looked real hard either.
FWIW, I found this as part of a technical description of one brand of windshield washer concentrate (http://www.imperialinc.com/msds0055210.shtml):

"Special Fire-Fighting Procedures: Wear approved positive-pressure self-contained
breathing apparatus and protective clothing. Avoid water streams which may
splash and spread flaming liquid. Water spray can be used to reduce the
intensity of the flames and dilute spills to a non-flammable mixture. Vapor may
cause flash fire. Methanol and water mixtures will burn unless very dilute.
Mixtures with 25% or more Methanol are OSHA Class 1 Flammable Liquids."
Old Jul 8, 2005, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info EVO8LTW, this will come in handy!

As a side note, to avoid confusion, the DSM drag-racer who does the work on my car is an X-Mitshubishi service manager, and NOT anyone on this site!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Where I live I dont think they would know what denature alcohol is. Can someone tell me whats the main ingredient is so that maybe it would be easier to find?

So what is the difference between denature alcohol and methanol?

Quick Reply: Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?