Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you can get this at a hardware store, isnt it rubbing alcohol? go to the "paint" section, they come in 1 or 5 gallon metal jugs. (the square type cans). and they say De-natured Alcohol on the side!

Last edited by smokedmustang; Jul 8, 2005 at 07:15 AM. Reason: ...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I believe you can get this at a hardware store, isnt it rubbing alcohol? go to the "paint" section, they come in 1 or 5 gallon metal jugs. (the square type cans). and they say De-natured Alcohol on the side!
thanks but im in Taiwan and I tried looking for it at B&Q which is similar to home depot, didnt see any. but I can get my hands on methanol, just want to know if there is a big difference between those two.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 07:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Just remember that 95% of windshield washer fluid reservoirs are at the front of automobiles in the US... they are all DOT approved...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks SMOKED It makes more since with all the details. Glad you got it figured out before it got outta hand. It would suck to hydrolock a motor on a sunny day.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I agree NTHECRUX,
i will be more careful, and the denatured alchohol is I think 4% Methanol!

Zeus, good to "see" you again! by being DOT approved, you are talking impact resistant? Just trying to understand your statement.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:52 AM

It's DOT approved for windshield washer fluid or water; obviously not methanol.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by metaphysical
It's DOT approved for windshield washer fluid or water; obviously not methanol.

Ok, I get it. I don't know if the pure methanol wouldn't eat up the inside of the jug or not. possible make the plastic "de-grade" over time. Hence at the gas pumps : " only put fuel in a proper canister" etc...
Old Jul 8, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

those canisters are plastic...LOL!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go read a label from a windshield washer fluid bottle. ITS FLAMABLE! If it's safe up there what's the difference. Everyone SIMMA DOWN!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

the first my map was with 93octane+Water
the second map- 50/50 water/methanol and acceleration much faster that with 100% water
My boost - 33psi
It`s scarry but very interesting to know the difference between 100%methanol and 50/50
Have Someone tested yet?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

My car is strapped down as we speak at Dyno4mance, I can see if Andrew would do that for us, sacrafice my car for the betterment of US! I am also curious.

jid2, We are simmered down, we are just kicking around a potential saftey issue, or to at least help someone out who could be in my perdicament ( and My daughter, from page 1).

If you get your alky kit installed from someone other than a professional (like I did), and the car seems like its flooding, the pump is running and mis-wired!, recheck the connections from time to time for leaks. just trying to help thats all!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yaroslav, where are you from exactly, I have been over there in your neck of the woods in the 80's. Belgrade, zitishte ( no, not a cuss-word) and can name other places also, and can even count to 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I am screwed if I have to ask directions to a 7-11!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get it. Tank safety is not an issue where that front tank is located. If it gets burst the fluid will run out onto the ground. I think you could try over and over and not ignite the tank itself in and accident.

The other thing is, it evaporates really fast and I would bet that you could pour it straight on an exhaust manifold when hot and it would just evaporate away.

Plus if you did spill a lot of methanol it would be a flash fire and would run out of fuel real fast so it would extinguish pretty quick.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Yaroslav, where are you from exactly, I have been over there in your neck of the woods in the 80's. Belgrade, zitishte ( no, not a cuss-word) and can name other places also, and can even count to 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I am screwed if I have to ask directions to a 7-11!
Ukraine, Odessa
300miles from Kiev
Old Jul 9, 2005, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
Ukraine, Odessa
300miles from Kiev
I have been real close to there, its beautiful country! Next time I come over there I will have to look you up! and if you or your family get out this way, look me up. I Live 20 minutes from the Indy motor speedway, you guys can "crash" at my place!

Quick Reply: Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?