Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the IC sprayer bottle softening. It's designed for methanol solutions.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the best way to approach this is to eliminate sparks so it wont blow up.

believe it or not, it's really hard to blow up a car with an engine fire.

unless the fluid is contained in a air tight compressed canister, it's not going to "blow".

it will catch on fire, but likely event of that happening is fairely rare.

The stock plastic windshield wiper fluid container is an ideal place to put your methanol.

That plastic is not only design to withstand fire and in the event of an accident, it will not tare open, it'll just crumble.

Also the air comes right under where the bottle container is.

I'm thinking did you cap off the side overflow release hose? that container isn't suppose to be full, it's suppose to be only 70% full.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
Dood, thats hard plasic(one of the toughest materials), its not going to softer for a long time. A gas can is much thinner plastic than that bottle...and a medal one would get a hole punched in it MUCH easier in a front end collision.

BTW, what happened with andrew putting your car on the dyno????? I didn't read any results!
I agree that the bottle is probably fine, will just keep an eye on it!

Andrew was waiting for a new MAP sensor from AMS, and a new "pigtail" wire apparatus From me. I sent my part and he got it Saturday or today, he should be ripping up the Dyno TODAY! will keep you posted on the other thread when he does it. Hopefully there is not a delay due to Hurricane rains/tornados by you guys!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I agree that the bottle is probably fine, will just keep an eye on it!

Andrew was waiting for a new MAP sensor from AMS, and a new "pigtail" wire apparatus From me. I sent my part and he got it Saturday or today, he should be ripping up the Dyno TODAY! will keep you posted on the other thread when he does it. Hopefully there is not a delay due to Hurricane rains/tornados by you guys!
Sorry Kevin...We are closed today, I did get the pig tail...I will be wiring your car tomorrow and I expect to get it on the dyno Wednesday
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Sorry Kevin...We are closed today, I did get the pig tail...I will be wiring your car tomorrow and I expect to get it on the dyno Wednesday
Thanks Andrew, I forgot you are closed on monday, cant wait till Wed!, anyway to get it on video?
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:40 PM

Ted B: I meant that the DOT would hardly allow you to put straight methanol in your intercooler resevoir.

As for the degredation of plastics and whatnot, check the derekdevises and turbobuick forums. They will suggest that if you use pure methanol that you should use a lubricant - Derek recommends klotz - and that you not use a kit like the aquamist which is not safe for methanol. The fittings, tubes, pumps that are in the kit will eventually degrade, but you can take most kits and modify them so that they are safe with straight methanol.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:11 PM

Screw it, I'm going to fire up the still and take the de out of denatured alcohol. I haven't checked but you should be able to buy industrial grade ethanol or ethyl alcohol from a chemical supply house. It may be more expensive than methanol though.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Industrial grade ethanol IS denatured ethanol. Ethanol that is not denatured is potable, which is subject to taxes and costs much, much more than methanol. This is why methanol is preferrable as a fuel for hi-perf apps.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Thanks Andrew, I forgot you are closed on monday, cant wait till Wed!, anyway to get it on video?
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Kevin,
You are almost their man. Can't wait for your results .
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VTECH8TR
Kevin,
You are almost their man. Can't wait for your results .
I will post info when i get em, and if anyone is looking for an Alky kit, pm this guy! VTECH8TR
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Kevin, do you know what engine management he is running with that buschur stage 4 to get those numbers?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Kevin, do you know what engine management he is running with that buschur stage 4 to get those numbers?
I do think he's using an AEM, I am sure he will return here and "spill-the-beans", they are just numbers, lots of variables, dont get hung up on them! If you want alot more Hp, just let the "other" person tell you what HP they have, then answer 2-5 more than what he said!Jk. there are alot of dynos that can read higher, if not "corrected" with air temp, humidity etc.. You will have plenty, and so will I , will contact you when Andrew is done!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

yes, i know all of that dad....thanks!

i was just wondering what he was running because he didn't list it. I know us dyno dynamics users don't get caught up in numbers....i look at trap speeds!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

yes, i know all of that dad....thanks!

i was just wondering what he was running because he didn't list it. I know us dyno dynamics users don't get caught up in numbers....i look at trap speeds!
You watch your mouth son! Dont make me get out the belt again! now GO TO YOUR ROOM! He will surely state what it is, but I do believe that is what he uses.

I just got in an argument with the wife, she tells me I spend too much money on BEER! I went into her bathroom and told her "you spend too much money on make-up, eyeliners,lipstick, botox, etc..." She then pipes back " its so I can look pretty for you!!!!!!!!" I then told her: "THATS WHAT THE BEER IS FOR!!!!!!!!!"

as usual, todays jokes are free! I once hurt my back picking up this Asian kid, I spun him around over my head in an attempt to dis-orient him!

the jokes keep comming out, I think its time to UP my meds!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

ha......dis orient. CLASSIC

Quick Reply: Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?