Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Organic Clutch Kit vs ACT HD Street Disc Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
act get's my vote all the time.

after... a long time with the act, and probably a lot more miles and launches, it's still holding good @300 whp.

I'm ever so glad that I got the act and nothing else.

my next clutch's going to be act again, since I just don't see any other clutch at that price and the performance.

you guys do use exedy disk i think..?
You are hired! Thanks for the product endorsement. We indeed start off with the Exedy disc and we change the friction linings to a performance organic material that is steel backed and we also reduce the cushioning between the linings. The center section remains unchanged and has proven very durable. It looks slightly different from the factory disc because Exedy doesn't offer the factory design on the aftermarket. I actually like the factory center section better but you can only get it through Mitsu.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

act just let it warn up for for a few mins then let her rip
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i guess the act wouldnt be like those double carbon clutches that cost 1600 - 2k+. You wouldnt be able to dump launches into higher rpms...this is a good clutch to dump like you would a oem clutch or maybe a rpm or rpm and half higher i suppose...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

act get's my vote all the time.

after... a long time with the act, and probably a lot more miles and launches, it's still holding good @300 whp.

I'm ever so glad that I got the act and nothing else.

my next clutch's going to be act again, since I just don't see any other clutch at that price and the performance.

you guys do use exedy disk i think..?
Plokivos hit it on the money. I installed an ACT and drove 600 miles to Topspeed in Georgia. Got on the dyno and made 3 maps for the AEM over 45 dyno pulls over 8 hours. Got home and took my clutch out to put in a Fidanza flywheel, at that point i fiugred i might as well put in a new disc. So i overnighted one from Logic and to my surprise the disc was in brand new shape after 2000 miles. This is an aweosme clutch for the money hands down, heck i am making 400whp and 431 of torque and it holds no problem. I have installed ACT's in several local DSM cars and EVO8's as well. I HIGHLY recommend one .
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey,

Good to see our Stage 1 / Stage 2 is getting a little buzz.

Everything Dirk has said about our clutch is fairly accurate, however you must remember - Exedy (Dakin Clutch) is an OEM and and performance clutch company.

Additionally, we are one of the few true manufactures' of clutches in the US (even LUK and Valeo have left the states). Every part we make, be it OEM or performance is built from the ground up as a new unit. If it is an OEM clutch it is to OEM specs - If it is a performance clutch then the focus is on...well, performance.

We too make changes from the OEM clutch when we engineer our performance clutches. Heavy duty UF-91 clutch friction material is used instead of the OEM material and we also increase the clamp load to hold that additional power. However, to take it to the next step we offer our commonly used Twin/Triple/Carbon plates for the person that isn't happy with a mere single disc clutch.

Currently, in my personal vehicle I have a Stage 1 Organic. My car is currently making 390HP/325TQ on a *very* aggressive MD Dyno (AMS 3076). When the car made 286HP/274TQ, it went 12.2... I have yet to make it to the drag strip, but it never slipped *once* on the dyno and stands up to aggressive street launches.

Regardless, I have to admit... I miss haveing my twin plate, and will be returning to it soon. The reason? Well, maybe it can be summed up by "once you go twin... you know nothing else will win"... or something...LOL.

Truely, both ACTs and our Single discs are compraible - I doubt anyone could really pass the "Pepsi challenge" between driving the two (heck, even Ive been duped). However, once you go to a smaller twin disc setup with less inertia - you'll realize what the craze is about. Lightining fast shifting anytime from 4500RPM to 9000RPM, no disengagement problems, EASY driving on the street, lower pedal presure and faster 1/4 mile times... you'll still trap the same, so no it won't make power - but the gains you have from getting rid of the 2nd and 3rd gear "lockouts" or "grinds" or "granny shifts" will net an *easy* .25 seconds on a 1/4 mile ET... my personal estimates are closer to .5 seconds.

All in all, the ACT is a solid clutch and the Exedy stage 1 Stands right next to it.

But if you want *true* performance gains from your clutch, rather than a clutch that will just "hold the power", be sure to check out our line of twin discs...

[/ad campaign off]
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MattGold
However, to take it to the next step we offer our commonly used Twin/Triple/Carbon plates for the person that isn't happy with a mere single disc clutch...................But if you want *true* performance gains from your clutch, rather than a clutch that will just "hold the power", be sure to check out our line of twin discs...
2 Questions:
1. Do twin disks "shock" the car between shifts?
2. Don't twins make more noise?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 954DRGSR
2 Questions:
1. Do twin disks "shock" the car between shifts?
2. Don't twins make more noise?
1. No shock in between shifts... actually if anything it would be less since the disengement is one disc at a time (although very fast).

2. Twins make an additional noise. Single plate, twin or triple you will still hear drivetrain noise (vibrations transmitted from the motor)... however there is a slight noise of the intermediate (floater) plate "clanking" against the posts that hold the Pressure Plate to the Flywheel.

Hope this helps...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

I have had the ACT in my evo for 12000 miles now and love it. I am pushing around 350 to 360whp and no problems. However next week my ams 3071 is going in with alkyd injection soo we will see. Bottom line I would still bye another ACT becuase I am a big fan of it and I have had ACT clutches in all my vws without issues ever.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

soo on the street is the exedy twin bad in traffic? I dont know much about it ( I am a little old school) hehehe!!! Would my launches be similar to the act? Is the grab much different? Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8act
soo on the street is the exedy twin bad in traffic? I dont know much about it ( I am a little old school) hehehe!!! Would my launches be similar to the act? Is the grab much different? Thanks
The twin is a DREAM on the street. Not just selling a product, it really is easy to drive. I put 20,000 daily driving miles on it before I pulled it to test our Stage 1 and as I said, I will be happy to go back.

Pedal feel would be softer than stock, and launches can be as hard or gentle as you want... in other words it can be slipped or side stepped at the line, its upto you.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Matt,
I'm glad I am wearing my boots today.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
Matt,
I'm glad I am wearing my boots today.
LoL... sorry Dirk, been busy and haven't had time to get on the boards... had to get as much as I could out in one shot.

[/ducking tomato]

Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my twin plate Exedy setup. Drives just like stock and performs like no other! It does require about 700+ miles before the initial chattering noise to go away tho.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
exedy oraganic clutch kit is the same as the stock one.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

exedy oraganic clutch kit is the same as the stock one.
Ok, that is *COMPLETLY* wrong.

The stock one is an "OEM replacement".

The performance one (Stage 1) has upgraded pressure plate and disc facings... even read Dirk's posts f you don't believe me.

Quick Reply: Exedy Organic Clutch Kit vs ACT HD Street Disc Kit