Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Organic Clutch Kit vs ACT HD Street Disc Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattGold
We are very conservative with all our power ratings... figure better leave something for chance since so many things can effect torque capacity... Gear ratio, tire selection, type of racing, etc, etc.

Regardless, you may have read an estimate at the wheels rather than that the flywheel.

Let's say this was the case and 350WHP was recommended. Using a 15% driveline loss, you can be safe assuming the clutch will hold approx 402 Ft/Lbs at the flywheel...

Additionally, we usually tack on an additional 10-15% "conservative" rating and lower our estimates a tad more. We would much rather you buy a clutch that will exceed your expecations, rather then disappoint you.

Sounds about right. My calcs. are within about 10 ftlbs from yours. Cool... nice guess! (kidding of course).
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ACTman
fortunately, neither Exedy or ACT uses cooking oil for a friction material... but you are totally right that friction is critical. What I am saying is that the coeffiecients for different common organic materials are not much different and very difficult to get exact comparisons even under the best conditions. Now if you are comparing to Kevlar or Sintered Iron sure, you are talking about 20% less or up to 50% more friction repectively.
LoL... when did you guys switch from the Canola Oil?

It is our opinion, that organic froction materials ARE different, and suit certain applications better than others. Hence the reason OEMs specify UF-71 for some applications that require a moderate performance material, and UF-91 for others. UF-71 is a single layer organic material, that does not have as high of a coefficient or as high of a burst strength as it's UF-91 cousin which is a dual layer disc with a burst capacity of 17,000RPMs.

In our tests (and we do test them all) we see a maximum of 30% and average of 20% increase of friction coefficient on our UF-91 facing when compared to other organic materials on the market (F808, F202, UF-71).

To make sure everyone is on the same page with this technicle mumbo-jumbo, a HIGHER friction coefficient holds HIGHER Torque capacity... a LOWER friction coefficient holds LOWER Torque capacity. UF-91 is standard on our performance Stage 1 applications, and is the reason we are able to hold similar power with a lower clamp load (pedal pressure).

As for the future... Exedy Japan has developed a UF-91S facing which has an even HIGHER friction coefficient, and burst strength, exceeding 20,000RPMs (on a 200mm disc).

As always, Exedy will continue to invent, innovate and improve clutches... that's a promise.

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds about right. My calcs. are within about 10 ftlbs from yours. Cool... nice guess! (kidding of course).
It actually came from my magic 8-ball.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

LoL... when did you guys switch from the Canola Oil?

It is our opinion, that organic froction materials ARE different, and suit certain applications better than others. Hence the reason OEMs specify UF-71 for some applications that require a moderate performance material, and UF-91 for others. UF-71 is a single layer organic material, that does not have as high of a coefficient or as high of a burst strength as it's UF-91 cousin which is a dual layer disc with a burst capacity of 17,000RPMs.

In our tests (and we do test them all) we see a maximum of 30% and average of 20% increase of friction coefficient on our UF-91 facing when compared to other organic materials on the market (F808, F202, UF-71).

To make sure everyone is on the same page with this technicle mumbo-jumbo, a HIGHER friction coefficient holds HIGHER Torque capacity... a LOWER friction coefficient holds LOWER Torque capacity. UF-91 is standard on our performance Stage 1 applications, and is the reason we are able to hold similar power with a lower clamp load (pedal pressure).

As for the future... Exedy Japan has developed a UF-91S facing which has an even HIGHER friction coefficient, and burst strength, exceeding 20,000RPMs (on a 200mm disc).

As always, Exedy will continue to invent, innovate and improve clutches... that's a promise.

While we don't have the deep pockets that Exedy does for extensive friction testing, our laboratory tests (only three samplings of each) were definitely not as generous regarding the UF91 and 71 linings, good stuff though. I can't fault it, but it's not all that. 20% average increase? That means that your Stage 1 should hold about 540 ftlbs (at peak) according to my math (stock clutch about 370 ftlbs, +22% for clamp load and +20% for friction). That's hilarious! Don't believe everything you hear over there Matt.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

While we don't have the deep pockets that Exedy does for extensive friction testing, our laboratory tests (only three samplings of each) were definitely not as generous regarding the UF91 and 71 linings, good stuff though. I can't fault it, but it's not all that. 20% average increase? That means that your Stage 1 should hold about 540 ftlbs (at peak) according to my math (stock clutch about 370 ftlbs, +22% for clamp load and +20% for friction). That's hilarious! Don't believe everything you hear over there Matt.
Dirk - The tests yielded an AVERAGE 20% over the other organic materials. The 20% wasnt over the UF-71 specifically, but an accumulation of the all the materials tested. Some showed higher gains, others were less.

However, the tests don't lie - and as you know, Exedy spares no expense in testing... When supplying Subaru, Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi...along with practically the entire automotive performance aftermarket - we must make sure our quality is 110%. Im sure you of all people can appreciate that.

Regardless, I can send you over some test results and you can make what you want of them. I can't look at data and say to our engineers "that's hilarious", all I can do is use it as a number and inject logic when we rate our clutches and add that 10-15% margin as I previously metioned.

As far as believing everything I hear over here... I bet the next thing you're gonna tell me is the Japanese lost the war. LoL... good one.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

However, the tests don't lie - and as you know, Exedy spares no expense in testing... When supplying Subaru, Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi...along with practically the entire automotive performance aftermarket - we must make sure our quality is 110%. Im sure you of all people can appreciate that.
...I can't look at data and say to our engineers "that's hilarious", all I can do is use it as a number and inject logic when we rate our clutches...
I'll show you our own data if you ever get out this way. Our results don't support your 20-30% but there are a lot of variables: method of testingm what surface speed, at what point or points you are comparing, at what temperature, are we talking breakaway torque or slipping torque, blah, blah, blah... Just tell your engineers that I say that it is hilarious so you don't gt in trouble. I don't want this to be a pissing match.

...I think people might argue about quality being 110% on the EVO OE Exedy clutch. Sorry, cheap jab, please ignore.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

...I think people might argue about quality being 110% on the EVO OE Exedy clutch. Sorry, cheap jab, please ignore.
We do what Mitsu tells us.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

ACTman I'm waiting your answer in my e-mail.

I need tech details about the Evo 7 specific clutch.

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by k270kmh
ACTman I'm waiting your answer in my e-mail.

I need tech details about the Evo 7 specific clutch.

Thanks
I'll try again, but so far everything has bounced back.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a private e-mail?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by k270kmh
Do you have a private e-mail?
dstarksen@advancedclutch.com.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

How does the ACT compare to the Exedy Stage 2? (single plate cerametallic, 4 puck, I think)
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

bump for an answer from either Dirk or Matt...
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I just burned the crap out of my ACT last night (by accident) and it still held fine. I've been driving real gentle afterwards, just in case I glazed the disc. It still held fine though. Thank goodness for ACT.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zstryder
How does the ACT compare to the Exedy Stage 2? (single plate cerametallic, 4 puck, I think)
I don't think either of us likes to do the whole us vs. them thing. I assume you are talking about our puck setup (most similar to stage 2). The same comments before apply to the pressure plate (ours a little stronger, stiffer, more travel requirements). Their puck disc is spring centered, while ours is solid. Their friction material is molded directly to the drive plate, ours is riveted. I haven't tested their friction material to know the exact specs compared to ACT. Customers report chatter from both of them. How bad for each one? Hard to say. The downside with our is that without springs, ours is going to be noisier and the splines will wear faster. The plus side is that the disc is lighter (and less inertia) which will help it shift faster. Ours performs really well in the Turbotrix 9.7 sec. race car.

Quick Reply: Exedy Organic Clutch Kit vs ACT HD Street Disc Kit