Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just installed a Stillway engine dampner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Just installed a Stillway engine dampner

I'm not sure if I feel the improvement in shifting like everyone talks about? Nor do I feel the sturdiness that's talk about either? Maybe it's just me because I'm tired.

It was a easy install and everything fit fine. The only thing I disliked was the poor copies of the original instructions. It was very hard to see any diagrams of where the nuts / bolts went. It was also written Japanese.

= for instructions

They way it looks on my Evo doesn't look like how it's set-up on Gruppe-S's Evo?

I also don't like how the strut bar is uneven. The mounting plate that goes under the left side of the strut bar elevates it so the other side is slightly lower. You can't tell unless you are looking directly at it.

I will take it out later today, possibly the track if the rain holds off. I need this thing to work because I'm tired of buying radiators. I burnt the stock rad., and the engine / turbo put holes in a brand new Koyo. I have a DNP mani. we a 35R if your wondering. I'm now running a PWR and I can start to see where the turbo is actually flattening out some of the fins already. That's why I need this dampner to work, badly.

If anyone has one can you take a pic of how you have it setup? I'm not sure if I even have it on right... Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the engine dampner prevent radiator damage? Does your engine shake that much?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

My engine doesn't shake. It rocks forward when I'm under heavy acceleration / deceleration , or hard shifting. It also moves a little during cornering, right?

Also does it matter which way it's installed? If the piston side is closest to the firewall.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure about installation, as I haven't really researched this product very much. I was just curious as to how this would keep you from destroying radiators.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

My motor rocks forward, causing the turbo /wastegate/ fan to smash into and puncture the rad. Hopefully the dampner will stop the motor from moving / rocking so much.

This put three holes into my Koyo because of how thick it was and how little space I had. The PWR is a 37MM compared to the Koyo 57 MM (I think those #'s are right).
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

If you have an aftermarket IC, the radiator will be closer to the engine. So, it is possible for the engine to hit the radiator under hard braking conditions.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
If you have an aftermarket IC, the radiator will be closer to the engine. So, it is possible for the engine to hit the radiator under hard braking conditions.
What? It does?
I never moved my radiator.

Last edited by EVOlunchbox; Jul 13, 2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
An aftermarket IC has no effect on the location of the radiator. An aftermarket radiator, however, is thicker than the stock radiator reducing clearance between the radiator and the turbo/exhaust manifold.

-Paul
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

my stillway did make a difference.
even when standing outside the car with the car started, when i rev the motor(throttle cable) i notice no rocking of the motor. Also, in the morning, my car has major clutch chatter that would shake my car very violently. Now it is not nearly as bad.

i was confused on the install also. And i was missing one of those bigger washer things.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glad it made a difference because I was looking into buying a damper to help with shifting but if it's pointless then why spend the $$$$.

Anyone with pictures of it on the car???
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by titaniumkingpin
my stillway did make a difference.
even when standing outside the car with the car started, when i rev the motor(throttle cable) i notice no rocking of the motor. Also, in the morning, my car has major clutch chatter that would shake my car very violently. Now it is not nearly as bad.

i was confused on the install also. And i was missing one of those bigger washer things.
I was missing one of those washer things also. They look like a train wheel sort of.

Maybe I have mine in backwards. Do you think it matters which way it's in there?

Also do you have pics?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The thing works for me (keep engine from rocking back-and-forth, easier to shift at high RPM).
Don't forget to use some LocTite, especially if you don't have a Camgear cover :}
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
An aftermarket IC has no effect on the location of the radiator. An aftermarket radiator, however, is thicker than the stock radiator reducing clearance between the radiator and the turbo/exhaust manifold.

-Paul
Heh, oops i got that backwards :P
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you need one of these

I'm still waiting to see some longterm effects on these engine dampners..... you would think they would put more stress on the drivetrain?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ouch nm I see you have a PWR radiator.. That's an expensive part to be getting damaged :\

Quick Reply: Just installed a Stillway engine dampner