Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler Piping!!!!AHHH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot evveryone ill let you guys know what happens!
Old Jul 15, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

why not just take it to a welder and have em put a big fat bead on it?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:00 PM

I just went through this experience w/ my Evo. I installed a GReddy 24V IC w/ the GReddy piping kit, upper and lower. All Samco hoses. The biggest issue is with the GReddy IC piping. It's totally "under engineered" (as they say at Works). The lip on the stock IC piping is about 5mm. The lip on the GReddy IC piping is about 2mm (barely). So, I upgraded to T-bolt clamps all the way around (get em from Summit racing, pretty cheap). Drove to MotoGP in Monterey, no problems (I'm running 23 lbs). Monday morning, on the way to work, boom, blew off a hose again. Now, I've got spray adhesive AND t-bolt clamps. Everything has stayed put so far, but I don't totally trust it yet. Ultimately, I think I need to have some custom IC pipes made (or find a better kit to buy). Sorry, that's all I've got for ya.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a question, I'm guessing the answer is boost leak. I got the Helix kit, well half at the moment. There was a screw up and I got 2 lower pipes and a 1 upper pipe, no mid pipe from the company (they shipped it out, I get it next week). So, so far I only got on from the turbo to the intercooler. I was boosting 22psi, now only 18. I turn up the MBC, still 18, turn it up more, 18. ???
Old Jul 15, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Add your own bead by masking it off on either side with tape and then just build up a layer of JB Weld, let it dry, and then sand the edge of the side that's getting inserted into the hose, it'll slide in easy, and on the other side there will be a nice flat surface for the clamp to seat against.

The absolute best solution though, is to just have a bung welded onto each pipe past were the hose fits, once your hose is on with clamps, throw a piece of cheap strapping like the universal exhaust hanger stuff with the holes in it, bolt it down in the bungs and voila. If your clamp and hose slip, the pipe won't pop out and you'll be able to keep moving.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
+1. Don't use superglue as that will make future removal very difficult.

-Paul
I have never had a problem taking off a coupler after using superglue. It will only be hard if you use too much superglue when only a few drops are needed.

To superglue the coupler:
1. Take the coupler and use 3-6 drops of super glue just inside the lip closest to the outside edge.
2.Spin the coupler in your hand so the drops ring the whole inside of the coupler.
3, APPLY IT ON THE PIPE FAST!!! Don't stop halfway on whatever you do.
4. Once the coupler is positioned on the pipe just add your clamp and adjust it until it is snug. No need to over tighten.

Steps 1-4 should only takes seconds to do from start to finish. You need to be very fast when doing this.

Obviously it's much harder to glue both sides of the coupler on at the same time, so I recommend glueing one side at a time. Then you can use a Q-tip and quickly apply superglue to the other side of the coupler and insert the piping. If you try and do both sides at once, in most cases one side drys too fast when pushing it on the pipe. That's why I only recommend doing one at a time.

To remove the coupler:
Take a flathead screw driver and ring the inside of the coupler a couple times. It should easily come off.

WARNING: overuse of the superglue will cause major problems when trying to remove the coupler later down the raod. Just use the least amount of superglue to do this. If it only takes 3 drops to put a wet ring on the inside lip of the coupler than only use 3 drops.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
Add your own bead by masking it off on either side with tape and then just build up a layer of JB Weld, let it dry, and then sand the edge of the side that's getting inserted into the hose, it'll slide in easy, and on the other side there will be a nice flat surface for the clamp to seat against.

The absolute best solution though, is to just have a bung welded onto each pipe past were the hose fits, once your hose is on with clamps, throw a piece of cheap strapping like the universal exhaust hanger stuff with the holes in it, bolt it down in the bungs and voila. If your clamp and hose slip, the pipe won't pop out and you'll be able to keep moving.
I'd be careful w/ the JB weld bead. If the bead cracks off, it could go into your engine.

I'm assuming IDRINKV8's talking about the stock upper IC pipe that keeps popping off. A t-bolt clamp should be the easiest solution for him.

I've never had a problem with my Helix intercooler pipes coming off or leaking on me. I have t-bolt clamps everywhere except at the throttle body junction since there wasn't enough room to fit them on there. One of the main reasons I got the intercooler pipes was to eliminate that elbow going into the throttle body since that one has the highest likelyhood of popping off.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, sorry I forgot to mention that its the stock pipe, and its the one thats directly conected to the intake manifold. I tightened it really really tight and put a tie on it so i wouldnt lose it if it blew off on the road but ever since i tightened it its been working well. I am definately getting t-clamps though.
Thanks for the help!!