Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RPS carbon/carbon rattles, need advise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I can confirm the decell noises are normal for twin plate clutches. I have tried four different twin plate clutches in my car. They all have the decell noise. Heavier fly will not help. I run a 16 lb near stock weight fly, and noise is still there. Whats needed is the spring center on the disc. The only one on the market is the HKS. Not a very good clutch. And the spring center does not hold up to the power. I am building a driveshaft with a flex disc to solve the problem with my car. I dont care for the noise at all.
That's the ticket

The sound is the transmission noise coming through the clutch because it doesn't have a sprung hub. That's what Rob told me at RPS.

It's much the same effect you get with an engine dampner. The noise transmits into the cabin because there's nothing to stop it.

You can always put the car in neutral or push in the clutch to minimise the sound.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

thats exactly what i been doing. Sux to have this problem with 3000$$ clutch.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

It is not necessarily a problem since it is not hurting anything (except your ears), but rather a tradeoff. There are benefits and tradeoffs with every design. In this case you have the benefit of a lighter disc that will potentially shift better and never have a center come apart. But the tradeoff of the noise. IMO, probably not what you would want on the street, but better for the track.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:24 PM

I appreciate your advice. Its been a few weeks and the noise isn't bothering me as much as before. Its still harsh, but knowing its another sound of speed makes it a different catagory and so not as painful...now I just need help justifying the price tag!
Anyway, thanks again.
Originally Posted by ACTman
It is not necessarily a problem since it is not hurting anything (except your ears), but rather a tradeoff. There are benefits and tradeoffs with every design. In this case you have the benefit of a lighter disc that will potentially shift better and never have a center come apart. But the tradeoff of the noise. IMO, probably not what you would want on the street, but better for the track.