Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GT35r spoolup answers here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with FRE... if you are building a drag car you should not use a stroker of any type... why do you think no one does? There is a good reason, you cant rev them to 10k. On a turbo our size or bigger it is ideal to rev it higher. If you have a stroker kit and a larger turbo you can spool it faster but who cares about spool-up on a dragstrip? Idea is that either motor will make near the same power... but one will rev 1.5k higher... that will cut down the times alot more than the difference in power from the stroker.

And for the poor guys that are only hitting 550hp with a GT42r or larger I pity them. 550hp with my turbo is kinda a waste... I couldnt imagine going with a larger turbo and making that kinda power. They should all be in the 700 range.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trina, I never said anything about building a drag car. Just because its a 2.4 doesn't mean its a stroker. Its a 4g94 crate motor from Magnus. I want to use the 3040 because it will definitely spool as quickly as I would like it to. I want the fastest spool possible, not trade this for that.

Im really just going to stop posting from now on if all I get is a "Do what I did because I like it" posts.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Im sorry, forgive my attitude. Its late, Im tired...but my motivation and intentions are different than everyone elses. Im really headed for an HKS TRB-02 style vehicle, 550 horse, or as close to it as I can get on alchohol and pump gas, ridiculous spool, 1.0+g handling, no frills styling and bulletproofed in every way I can think of. Just slapping a GT35R on a 2.0L stroker motor yields a car all focused on high revved performance, which is where I spend very little of my time. I need it to pull very hard all over, and be dead reliable and have no quirkiness to the motor to be ready to pick up and move at any given time. I'd disclose WHY, but such topics are banned from open discussion on the forums. Ever see Escape From Stockholm?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Yes Ive seen the movies... they are quick cars running in bad taste imo. They are cool vids but I would honestly be PISSED if I ever saw a guy driving like that. Anyways, I am too lazy to read up on Magnus's website but I would assume they are selling stroker motors. Either way, again my point boils down to what is the point of making power at low RPMs in our cars? What do you need the power at 2-4k for? It couldnt be racing, I wouldnt see the purpose in going that low in RPMs ever while racing any event (Aside from tiny tracks in autocross).
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Trina, Im an old school, BIG motor guy. I like having a flat torque curve, and power on tap everywhere. Running the car up to 6 grand just go get a quick punch in the juevos isn't my taste. I like having as well rounded a machine as possible, and I enjoy using my car for track days, autocrossing, street battles here and there when applicable and I dont enjoy revving the hell out of my motor just for the sake of making power, and just because its the easiest way to do it, doesn't make it so it'll suit my tastes. A well rounded vehicle in my opinion shouldn't have to be beaten on to make power all the time, its ridiculous and takes away from the fun and appeal of driving an Evo. I like my car as it is now, mostly stock, because it spools quickly and has a decent amount of punch, and no amount of convincing is ever going to make me want to change that.

As far as Magnus goes, no, the motor I want is a 4G94 block, crank, pistons, rods, etc etc. Its not a hacked in 2.3 litre motor in a 2.0 block. This is not going to be a total race car, it'll be used as much as possible in a daily routine, in most situations where I just dont want to rev the car to 9K just because thats where everyone ELSE is making power, see my point?

As far as Escape from Stockholm, I enjoy the vids. They planned it right, nobody involved except them and the cops. Just interesting to know WHY they'd do something like that. For me, Im interested in doing track time, so a GT35R is not in my best interests, and niether is a much smaller turbo like a 3071. The 3037 is still an option, but I'd like a little more room to breath, so I dont know as of yet.

Have a good night.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

i must admit that the 35R is kinda laggy on a 2.0
esp with a .82ar

but thats the fun of having a manual car...the ability to downshift.
and then it's go time!!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This thread is really just a thread about how easy it is to buy the wrong parts in trying to make something work.

Here is a thread of a dyno pull of 35r setup correctly. Sorry you can't see the video anymore. But you could freeze frame the video. It achieved 35psi at 4100 rpm. My own car has seen 26psi at 4000 rpm,3rd gear, with a bolt on adapter, AEM logs.

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...light=evo+dyno

It does take the right combo of parts and tuning.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

geezus you guys. That link was a 2.3 liter car while the comparisons are on 2.0 liter cars. And please PLEASE don't forget that they're doing a 2nd gear pull and not any other gear so unless you got logs from 2nd gear pulls DON"T COMPARE!!! ONE!!! ONE ELEVEN !!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Widebandphillip
geezus you guys. That link was a 2.3 liter car while the comparisons are on 2.0 liter cars. And please PLEASE don't forget that they're doing a 2nd gear pull and not any other gear so unless you got logs from 2nd gear pulls DON"T COMPARE!!! ONE!!! ONE ELEVEN !!!!!
the 2.3 spools the turbo 400rpm faster, no more. I drove my buddies 2.0 gt35r setup. Same turbo setup as mine. Gt35r bolted to bottom of stock manifold. I have never seen a boost gauge move so fast. it gradually hits 10psi, but then the needle hits warp drive. going from 10psi-26psi was like 1/4 second. boost needle moved much faster than the ams video. he was hitting 26psi at 4500rpm in second gear. this was on a 2.0.

dropping a 2.3 into his setup is only going to improve the spool by 400. he is still way off succuss.

loose the sheetmetal intake, not needed. just kills low end torque, and spool up.
primaries on the manifold are too big. killing spool... 63 housing needs to be PTE 5 bolt housing, not garrett 63 4bolt. head needs worked. etc, etc,
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:38 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
This thread is really just a thread about how easy it is to buy the wrong parts in trying to make something work.

Here is a thread of a dyno pull of 35r setup correctly. Sorry you can't see the video anymore. But you could freeze frame the video. It achieved 35psi at 4100 rpm. My own car has seen 26psi at 4000 rpm,3rd gear, with a bolt on adapter, AEM logs.

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...light=evo+dyno

It does take the right combo of parts and tuning.

So basically you are saying that AMS doesn't know what they are doing then. Hmmm they have a kit that has put alot of evos in the 10's already. Where are your dynosheets to prove this and please post up the aem logs to prove this.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
I think every tuner should have a graph like this available to explain trade offs to customers. Three well tuned cars: 16g, 30R, and 35R.

Post of the year material, the three major turbo choices, same dyno, all plotted against each other for people to see, perfect smoggy, purrrrrfect.

Scorke
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the 2.3 spools the turbo 400rpm faster, no more. I drove my buddies 2.0 gt35r setup. Same turbo setup as mine. Gt35r bolted to bottom of stock manifold. I have never seen a boost gauge move so fast. it gradually hits 10psi, but then the needle hits warp drive. going from 10psi-26psi was like 1/4 second. boost needle moved much faster than the ams video. he was hitting 26psi at 4500rpm in second gear. this was on a 2.0.

dropping a 2.3 into his setup is only going to improve the spool by 400. he is still way off succuss.

loose the sheetmetal intake, not needed. just kills low end torque, and spool up.
primaries on the manifold are too big. killing spool... 63 housing needs to be PTE 5 bolt housing, not garrett 63 4bolt. head needs worked. etc, etc,
Hmm...where to begin. A gt35r would probably spool a hell of a lot quicker on your setup because of the short runners of the stock manifold. You can't compare to the ams evo dyno because first of all the engine is a 2.3 liter. Second, it was on a dynojet. 3rd, we have no idea what gear that pull was made in and the 2nd reason makes this 3rd reason not even matter. So i guess if you have an aem log that you did in 2nd gear, post it up so everyone can compare. Btw, if any alcohol or nitrous was used, it cannot be compared.

P.s. Everyone is getting around 4-5 psi around 4600 so i highly doubt you or your friend can make 26 psi on a 2nd gear pull.

Last edited by Widebandphillip; Jul 29, 2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Feldguy, I know what ya mean now.. sorry I was tired and drunk last night

And for the other people... this post was to let people know the TRUE spoolup. It is not a mismatched crap car It is a setup that will easily run tens once I learn how to drive, get a better clutch and crank the boost. Im sure if I retard the timing from 1-4k to -5 degrees I could get the car to spool to 26psi around 4-4.5k in 2nd. But why do that? It would kill my low end even more. I tuned the car myself and it makes plenty of power At around 25psi it traps at 123.5 with a mild tune on 110. With C16, better driving and more boost I dont see any reason for this car not to trap at 128-130 with still running low 30's psi.

This post is designed to make people aware of the true turbo characteristics... thats it. Its funny how two completely different people using completely different 'kits' seem to spool the exact same even with two completely different tunes. That just makes it even more obvious that this is a true real-world log. I dont think his car has a sheetmetal intake.. mine does and doesnt seem to kill the spool compared to his. And yes, with headwork it would spool slightly quicker but dont think its gonna get full 26psi at 4k in second... that is just nieve.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

laaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggg
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY AAAAAAAAAA SLOWEEERRRRRRRRR CARRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Everybody knows the gt35 is a laggier turbo than stock, your not helping, like usual...

Scorke

Last edited by scorke; Jul 29, 2005 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: GT35r spoolup answers here