Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GT35r spoolup answers here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005 | 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Big Boost
Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that this car did not use N2O for spool up.

Also, I wouldn't compare stock block 2.0 with a 35R to a 2.3 & headwork with a 35R. It's not a fair comparison. A car with a stroker and P&P head will flow significantly more air than a stock head/block.

The only way, I would put a 35R on a evo would be with a stroker and head work. The information posted on this thread only confirms my thoughts.

Listed below is a quote from Martin @ AMS about their stroker & their 35R kit & how it spools up compared to stock:

Quote: "We just ran the car at 24psi with water injection and made 501whp and 430ft-lbs of torque. I did some road tuning with this car the last few days and it will start making boost at 2200-2400rpm with 10psi by 3K in 4th gear and 24-25psi by 3500-3600rpm. Awesome car to drive with a very wide powerband, perfect for the street or road course. You have full power and torque from 3500rpm to 8000rpm. Where the stock turbo start to drop power at 6500rpm this thing keeps making power all the way to redline. To compare power bands, the stock turbo hits full boost at around 2.9-3K rpm and makes usable power to 7K rpm, the stroker 35R setup hits full boost at 3.5-3.6K rpm and makes useable power to over 8Krpm"

From this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&page=1&pp=15

In my opinion, if you are looking for a streetable set-up with not as much lag, this is the only way I would put on a 35R.
I would have to say there is no way a stroker/35r is seeing full boost by 3.5-3.6, especially since my 3071r/stroker doesnt even spool that fast.
Old Jul 30, 2005 | 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by statix
I would have to say there is no way a stroker/35r is seeing full boost by 3.5-3.6, especially since my 3071r/stroker doesnt even spool that fast.

Well i dont know your whole entire setup but that AMS Evo has a fully built bottom-end and not only that but i think he's got about 2500 in the head itself so with the head work it would flow alot better to in wise would spool the turbo faster.
Old Jul 30, 2005 | 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

I also have Stg3 head, 3.5-3.6 full spool, maybe in 6th gear, not a chance in 3rd.
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

also are we all talking about a 35R with a .82hotside?
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon 2 B EVIL
also are we all talking about a 35R with a .82hotside?
I hope not. That is a fairly large hotside compared to the AMS 35R which uses a .63.
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Frankly, rather than seeing time to target boost, I'd rather see acceleration "elasticity" data collected. Time some runs taken to achieve real world acceleration tasks (25-50mph, 50-75mph, etc.) in each gear. As long as this is done on level ground it's a much better comparision and will more clearly illustrate the tradeoffs of each turbo configuration.
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Frankly, rather than seeing time to target boost, I'd rather see acceleration "elasticity" data collected. Time some runs taken to achieve real world acceleration tasks (25-50mph, 50-75mph, etc.) in each gear. As long as this is done on level ground it's a much better comparision and will more clearly illustrate the tradeoffs of each turbo configuration.
problem with that is there is not an easy way to accuratly measure it without radar guns. Using the stock gauges and your eyeballs/stopwatch is highly inaccurate and will lead to alot of crap data biased to what the driver wants to see.

The VSS is not really that great in the ems...but it might do to get some rough data. And I don't know if any of the other datalogger/engine management setups can log VSS.
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
I hope not. That is a fairly large hotside compared to the AMS 35R which uses a .63.
Are you sure? Cuz i could have swearin the AMS evo was running a .82 HOTSIDE.
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know what the AMS Evo is running, but the standard AMS 35R kit comes with a .63 hotside.
Old Jul 31, 2005 | 09:36 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
I can give you 0-94 and 0-123 numbers. That would be 7.4 and 11.5 seconds. 25-50mph??? 50-75?? fast that's all I know. The smaller the turbo, the less overall boost and power you will make, but without alcohol or race fuel you can realize the higher boost numbers anyway. My view on it would be if you never track your car and want to stick to alcohol/meth injection the 30r is a good choice, because you wouldn't be going over 30psi on alcohol anyway. If you track your car and want most overall power then the 35r is the way to go, because you can run 35-38psi, therefore making more overall power. Hrmmm I just realized the efficiency psi on these turbos almost match the name. 30r = 30psi and 35r - 35ish psi.
Old Aug 1, 2005 | 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
problem with that is there is not an easy way to accuratly measure it without radar guns. Using the stock gauges and your eyeballs/stopwatch is highly inaccurate and will lead to alot of crap data biased to what the driver wants to see.

The VSS is not really that great in the ems...but it might do to get some rough data. And I don't know if any of the other datalogger/engine management setups can log VSS.
It sounds like the VSS isn't calibrated correctly in the EMS. The ECU+ has no issues correctly intrepreting and logging vehicle speed by measuring the factory pulses.

Additionally, if the tests are done in a specific gear then RPM can be used to calculate road speed. Assuming of course that the overall tire diameter is standard from test to test.
Old Aug 4, 2005 | 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Why did you go to a colder plug than stock? Most of the high level tuners are recomending to stay with the stock heat range of the BPR7ES, and your fouling problem could be from running the colder plug.

Keith

I had the same problem at high RPM with boost. BPR7ES gapped down to about 24 will do the trick. It seems to be fine on mine to about 28psi. (that's all the psi i've run thus far)
Old Aug 4, 2005 | 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Noone is interested in contributing an EMS or any other boost/rpm log for the AMS GT35R kit?
Old Aug 4, 2005 | 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Noone is interested in contributing an EMS or any other boost/rpm log for the AMS GT35R kit?
I would love to post mine, but the files are on my Car PC and the car is down right now. If this post stay's alive for a while, I will get mine up here.
Old Aug 4, 2005 | 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be glad to post EMS log data for my 2.3 stroker/Full Race GT35R as soon as I get it tuned and I'm done with break in. My set up probably a bit atypical but it will give an idea of a "whole enchilada" set up.

Quick Reply: GT35r spoolup answers here