Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Did only 350 AWHP ruin my triple carbon clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Did only 350 AWHP ruin my triple carbon clutch?

Before we jump on the "thats normal" bandwagon, let me explain.
my mods are listed below, my stock clutch went bye-bye after 6K miles. ( I was a rookie AWD driver!), the 2nd clutch was the Exedy twin metallic, which lasted great for 25K miles! my clutch now is the "bees-knees" (Andrews word) Exedy triple carbon with close to 10 K miles on it.

I have NOT drag-raced it, only did an auto-X one time! NEVER "lit" the tires up in a burnout, and besides the occasional light to light spirited stuff, THAT'S IT!!!!

3 weeks ago the clutch DID seem to "slip" under load, and under boost around 45-4800 RPM. (This event happened 300 miles ago) it would jump the tach up about 500 RPM and "collect itself" and keep going up the RPM band. We all know this as the early stages of a clutch getting ready to go!

I took my car to Dyno4mance 2 weeks ago for a tune. upon doing the pump-gas map, around pull # 25, the clutch slipped, and Andrew immediatley let off the gas and looked totally confused as to what just happened. I told him it did it once before, and I believe its the clutch slipping! He said the Exedy triple is the "bees-knees" when it comes to clutches, and didnt see how it could be slipping.

Here is whats wierd:

the clutch would "slip" every 4th or 5th pull!!! not BEFORE or after the 4th or 5th pull! since the dyno is the Dyno4mance, you can see in real time the HP/Boost graph etc, and THE ONLY TIME THIS HAPPENED WAS at the same spot on the graph every time, where the lines bi-sect (HP and torque?) If Andrew comes on this site, he can elaborate when this happens.

If the clutch needs to be heated, wouldn't you expect to see this on a "cold" clutch, ie the first 2 pulls? then not again, as the clutch is heated? once the clutch slips, you can wait till the wheels stop spinning on the dyno, then slowly mash in the gas again, and do another run with NO SLIP AT ALL!

Any input onto what this problem is? it has not happened once in 9,900 miles, this is new and NOT NORMAL!
I thought if I "over-clutched" and "Under- Horsepowered", I would have a clutch that lasts forever!
Any input on this? and if anyone says this is "NORMAL" please leave your address, as I will be right over!

I also notice a "harmonic" vibration always at 4K RPM under hard driving, or slow driving with the RPMS at 4K. could something have broken? if so, you would have the problem EVERY PULL correct?
Help a brother out!
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Last edited by smokedmustang; Jul 16, 2005 at 12:21 PM. Reason: ...
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat it up and see if it slips in 4th and 5th gear again. I think the procedure was three 5 second slips or so.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks wideband, we did or( Andrew did,) and I think this happened in 3rd gear or maybe 4th gear on the dyno. dont remember when it happened on the road with me, but it is when boost is rising. I think I was in 4th or 5th gear.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Could it be due to installation problem? Did you have some good shop to install the clutch?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

The one who installed all mine did this one, A mitshubishi dealership, and wouldn't an install issue have reared its head by now??!!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

you should have got the rps carbon/carbon. much stronger I know, going through same problem.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

You should put a down payment on a house instead!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear about your clutch! If this is a clutch going bad, wouldn't it "go bad" all the time? why does it seem to slip only every 5 pulls on a dyno, and grip like hell every other time? wouldn't it slip at the same spot, under the same load, no matter what if it was going bye-bye? what did yours do? I will wait for an answer from Matt Gold, I am sure he can sence this thread is out here!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
You should put a down payment on a house instead!
I agree, someone that spends over 1500 on a clutch either has way to much money or is crazy. IMOA. A clutch is still only a clutch and I could never justify to myself that it was a good investment. 500 gets you an act that holds just as good and probably will last longer.

Last edited by whiteevo311; Jul 16, 2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I am an idiot, but this is not a finger pointing depressing thread, dont call names. I want the ACT man to tell me what Product he has, would be a good fit for me. Not a drag-racer, will do auto X's. I will wait for Matt Gold to get on here and explain to me what happened, or is happening. Matt, I can drive the car up to you for a dis-mantle and inspection if you want it for R&D.

I had NO problems with the metallic twin Exedy.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

take the clutch out and look at it. maybe there was a defect in it.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zlancer
take the clutch out and look at it. maybe there was a defect in it.
Thats alot of money to do that, (Read above, I am an idiot.) if Exedy has heard about this happening elsewhere, and can say " sounds like piece XYZ is broken" than I can justify taking it apart. If they say " thats what it does just before it takes a final bow", then I will take it out, but my god, it is expensive, and I don't want this "downpayment" to have gone to a trailer!!!!!!!! Come on Daiken/Exedy say something, help me out!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

damn man, you too? whats up with us and clutch problems?(although, mine is an install issue, not clutch)
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what the..

why would your clutch slip?

maybe you haven't broken in the inital material or the film yet. That's why it feels like it's slipping.

If it's slipping, you should just slip it some more just to make sure. warm it up hard and see if it still slips.

but I still don't see how that's even possible.

If anything, it's installed wrong, but did you used the stock disk or a new one? resurfaced the stock one? or a new one?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

I rephrased my sentence. Im not calling anyone an idiot.

Quick Reply: Did only 350 AWHP ruin my triple carbon clutch?