Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Does intake do more harm than good?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think a majority of the gains are with the less restrictive filter, I think the best bang for the buck is the panel filter to the stock airbox. All of my data indicates that the stock airbox really isn't a restriction, and as mentioned earlier, you have to be moving ALOT of air for the airbox to become a restriction. I do have reservations on the snorkle inlet as the only air source of the stock airbox, but there are remedies for that..
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I do have reservations on the snorkle inlet as the only air source of the stock airbox, but there are remedies for that..
Such as...?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Such as...?
Such as a hard pipe to replace it.....I believe Dejon Tool makes one.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i do have a buschur MAF pipe, but not looking at my car right now im not sure if i have the one bend or two bender.

so, the positioning of the maf itself doesn't matter then???
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:21 AM

I have the new Buschur MAF Pipe and I haven't had any problems.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Such as...?
I spotted Monster Sport makes a replacement cover out of carbon fiber that looks to flow a bit more, and you can make, or purchase a simple frame to replace the top cover to expose the filter.. I still have the stock snorkle from the old airbox attached under my hood, it ducts air over the cone filter I run.. Not the optimum solution by any means, but its better than nothing.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I now the intake pipe made nice difference on my 98 GSX but the EVO isn't nearly as restricted as those DSMs were. Sure make the spool sound nice.....does just a conical filter increase the sound of the DV and spool?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
Well, i do have a buschur MAF pipe, but not looking at my car right now im not sure if i have the one bend or two bender.

so, the positioning of the maf itself doesn't matter then???
if you mean whether the square portion faces up or down, I'd like to say it doesn't matter, but it actually might make a difference.. HOWEVER this may not be a good solution should moisture or other crud work its way into the sensor, it could affect how the sensor functions since gravity will now mean everything ends up where the guts of the sensor are housed.

The positioning of the maf itself doesn't affect how the maf works for the most part, it really is positioned the way it is to prevent dirt from getting into it. The MAF is also very vibration sensitive, so as long as its anchored and doesn't bounce around, it really shouldn't matter. I have never done any testing with the orientation of the MAF so I don't have any personal experience with what it would do though.

It really is only subject to the turbulent airflow that it can get.. Anything you can do to reduce turbulent airflow through the metered portion of the sensor, should help reduce stalling and anomolous readings which could lead to drivability problems.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I now the intake pipe made nice difference on my 98 GSX but the EVO isn't nearly as restricted as those DSMs were. Sure make the spool sound nice.....does just a conical filter increase the sound of the DV and spool?
Yes, it was the first thing I Noticed when I put the Buschur filter on my car a few years ago.. The stock airbox is a pretty effective noise silencer.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Even a panel filter on the stock airbox will allow you to hear more of your turbo and DV.

l8r)
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Even a panel filter on the stock airbox will allow you to hear more of your turbo and DV.

l8r)
Not in my experience. I hear next to nothing with my K&N panel filter. Just a slight spoolup sound and no BOV purge, although others outside the car can hear a slight, quick purge noise from my MR DV.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you take the top off you will hear it all...

its pretty easy to make a contraption to hold the filter down around the edges.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would do that if I knew I wasn't losing power by sucking in hot air.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
if you take the top off you will hear it all...

its pretty easy to make a contraption to hold the filter down around the edges.
Hrm, well that kinda defeats the purpose of keeping the stock airbox. If I was going to drive around like that, I'd just assume get a real aftermarket intake...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Not in my experience. I hear next to nothing with my K&N panel filter. Just a slight spoolup sound and no BOV purge, although others outside the car can hear a slight, quick purge noise from my MR DV.
/\ The truth /\

Quick Reply: Does intake do more harm than good?