Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Does intake do more harm than good?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005 | 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

more horsepower or not, I still can't see putting a jiggly cone filter in my engine bay sucking in hot air in place of a factory cold air intake snorkeling directly from the high-pressure cool air from the front of the car.
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I spotted Monster Sport makes a replacement cover out of carbon fiber that looks to flow a bit more, and you can make, or purchase a simple frame to replace the top cover to expose the filter.. I still have the stock snorkle from the old airbox attached under my hood, it ducts air over the cone filter I run.. Not the optimum solution by any means, but its better than nothing.
checked for the monster sport and couldnt find one only one I know of is the HKS Kansai carbon-fiber intake box and is about $450 ouch , i wish someone like carbing craft would make one for us cheapskates!
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Not to hi-jack this thread but when you guys say you need "tuning" for the MAF pipe.. are you just talking about adjusting the a/f ratio's or something more in depth? I'm asking because as of right now I've only got a s-afc2 + wideband.. which gives me very little for tuning options.

I'm running the Works drop-in which seems to perform a little better than the k&n I had before.
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by machron1
more horsepower or not, I still can't see putting a jiggly cone filter in my engine bay sucking in hot air in place of a factory cold air intake snorkeling directly from the high-pressure cool air from the front of the car.

I actually happen to agree with you.. My circumstances necessitated losing the stock airbox, otherwise I would still be using it even without a MAF..
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Not in my experience. I hear next to nothing with my K&N panel filter. Just a slight spoolup sound and no BOV purge, although others outside the car can hear a slight, quick purge noise from my MR DV.
I guess results vary.

My turbo was noticeably louder. Can't speak to the stock DV(s), since I run a Greddy Type-S.

l8r)
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I love my HKS RS intake. It definately helped out top end and the sound is just amazing. I could care less about the BOV sound, but the spooling sound is awesome.
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Not to hi-jack this thread but when you guys say you need "tuning" for the MAF pipe.. are you just talking about adjusting the a/f ratio's or something more in depth? I'm asking because as of right now I've only got a s-afc2 + wideband.. which gives me very little for tuning options.

I'm running the Works drop-in which seems to perform a little better than the k&n I had before.
From what I understand it has to do only with re-calibrating the signal from the MAF sensor which can easily be done with a S-AFC. I guess the MAF sensors are calibrated for the exact turbulence (or lack thereof) of the stock accordian tube and airbox, and the air metered using different tubes can be different from the actual flow.
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

I changed mine from stock to blitz sus power filter. I was worried about sucking hot air. But I saw few gain even with same air flow setting( I am using super afc to tune). I guess sucking hot air is better than stock restriction.
Old Jul 18, 2005 | 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
I changed mine from stock to blitz sus power filter. I was worried about sucking hot air. But I saw few gain even with same air flow setting( I am using super afc to tune). I guess sucking hot air is better than stock restriction.
No, there isn't a stock airbox restriction. You could have just replaced the stock filter.