Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Penzoil Syncomesh Destroying my Tranz

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not speak for Jon at TRE but I am pretty sure he likes the Synchromesh as much as I do for the trans. I put it in my trans and have driven it HARD for about 25 runs at the track and countless free way pulls. About a thousand city miles and 2 thousand free miles and mine is still fine and shifts MUCH better than stock fluid. It is very doubtful that the fluid is causing harm. Making it harder to shift into first and reverse sounds like something else. As for the whining it may be fine... it may be the lighter fluid makes it a little noisier but I really doubt the synchomesh is causing harm.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever works for you guys. I prefer Redline or DiaQueen

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/oilstore/pensyn5gal.html

PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is a synchromesh transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and manual transmissions used by General Motors. PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. This product will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors manual transaxles and transmissions from -40°C to +150°C.

APPLICATION

PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is specifically formulated for synchromesh transmissions used by General Motors requiring General Motors Part No. 12345349 (Specification No. 9985648) Synchromesh Transmission Fluid or Chrysler transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464 (Specification MS-9224). It is also recommended for use in General Motor transmissions requiring General Motors Part No. 12345577.

PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is NOT intended for all GLS applications. You must verify the manufacturer’s part number, indicated by a superscript number and found at the end of the vehicle application listing.

BENEFITS

• Exhibits excellent low temperature performance

• Meets GM Specification 9985648

• Suitable for use in GM manual transaxles and transmissions requiring GM Part No. 12345349 or 12345577

• Meets Chrysler specification MS-9224

• Suitable for use in Chrylser transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464

• Excellent synchronizer performance

• Excellent yellow metal compatibility
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

hi.

this isn't EVO specific, but if you are experiencing trouble shifting into reverse or first from neutral when at a stop, that is an indication that the clutch is "dragging" or that the throwout bearing is on its way out......

if the clutch isn't releasing completely, it will make shifting difficult, and will wear on the synchros, etc.

good luck.

todd

ps i have 28k miles on my '03, and i changed all the fluids at 15k miles. i used Diaqueen in the rear diff and xfer case, and Synchromesh in the tranny. she still shifts really really nice, and is quiet. i daily drive it and have done 4 track days since the synchromesh. no probs as of now! and clutch is the stock orig unit.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Again, I really doubt it is the fluid. I could care less if the product says its for a damn semi... it works
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

If anyone says "why didn't anyone warn me about this?", I am going to scream.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the comments... I just didnt really know whether it was the fluid or something else. Like i said b4 the trans was Silent with no whine @ all when it was first put in. But after a few days it started whine just a little. My old trans whine regardless in 1st 2nd and 5th@ 90-110MPH.

Im going to try the clutch adjusting and see if that helps it at all. HOPEFULLY The throwout bearing is not going bad. I will be PISSED! Give me some tips on the clutch adjusting if u have any please thanks guys for da help
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Stock fluid for the t-case, Pennzoil syncromesh for the trans.

I agree with Trina, I also have talk in length to Jon about this, and I changed from stock to Pennzoil myself. It makes a huge difference in shifting smoothness.

Check your clutch adjustment.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Originally Posted by GEARS
The 5 speed transmissions in the EVO 4-8 tend to shift best with a GL-4 gear oil that meets specification for synchromesh. Like several have stated here and there on this forum, do not use a GL-5 in the transmission. I would avoid using any gear oil that claims to be GL-3, 4 & 5 spec. Instead, option only for a GL-4 oil that meets.....specification for synchromesh. These oils will improve the effectiveness of the synchronizers and that means a better shifting transmission.

GL-5 oils should not be used in the Mitsubishi transmission because they are too slippery and reduce the effectiveness of the synchronizer and you don't want that because the synchros basically act like brakes, their job is to bring the speed of the various transmission components up to the same “synchronized” speed with one another so the engagement teeth mesh at the same speed and don't get all torn up.

When it comes to the 6 speed Mitsubishi specifies the Diaqueen Super Multi Gear Oil, part #MZ313376. Could you use a different oil in thd 6 speed transmission? Most likely you could but consider this, Mitsubishi rarely uses the phase "exact equivalent" and when they state to use the Diaqueen SMGO or the "exact equivalent" it's probably best to follow their advice.

In the transfer case and rear differential you must use a GL-5 "Hypoid" type gear oil. The transfer case features hypoid gears to transmit that power to the drive shaft. The word hypoid is short for hyperboloid which refers to the design of these gears. All you need to know is that hypoid gears; don’t share a common axis, run quiet (for the most part) and they are a strong design. Yet by design the gear teeth must slide across one another during their meshing and this is why you must us a GL-5 Hypoid type gear oil in the transfer case and rear end, you need that slippery oil here. Use the wrong oil and the transfer case will start howling and growling within a couple tanks of gas. Mitsubishi specifies the Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil in the transfer case and rear end of the EVOs. This oil is a single viscosity, 90 weight, and the part number is #377610. If you can’t find this oil you must find a gear oil that meets the GL-5 Hypoid specification. Again this oil must ONLY meet GL-5 preferably 90 weight. Do not use a gear oil that claims to be GL-3, 4 & 5. These one size fits all type oils are not recommended anymore than a one heat range fits all spark plug.

Also, multi viscosity index modifiers and dyes both reduce the film strength of the oil; they take up valuable parking spaces on the molecular level and that’s what the transfer case and rear end both need more of, film strength. There are several brands of oil on the market and you can use any of them as long as it meets Mitsubishi's requirements.

Change the transfer case oil everytime you change the engine oil and you'll have a happy T-case.

Jon@teamrip.com
Reference: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...30&postcount=2
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Mark for that info! I have to check that clutch pedal and see if i can adjust it any. Would getting a longer clutch rod help?!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:21 AM

Great thread! Thanks for posting the info from Jon.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

I had Syncromesh in my Eclipse for 60,000 miles and when the car was totalled, the guy I sold the trans too, took it apart to rebuild it abd all the gears were still in factory specs and tolerances. That says a lot, especially since the car had 400HP.

Chances are that trans, probably JDM, has way more than 30,000 miles or was already defective.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I was a little hesistant on using synchromesh in my tranny since the viscosity is on the thin side of factory specs. But since Jon@TRE, the tranny guru, recommended it, I figure I would give it a shot. After switching from straight MT90 to synchromesh, I wondered why I didn't do it earlier.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind you should change it more often than the stock stuff. Its cheap so just do it.

I called TRE....ended up purchasing the stronger xfer case magnet....Jon recommended Penzoil for the tranny and diaqueen for the xfer and rear diff.

I did the swap but didn't notice any difference.....I still get an occational (once a month) grind going into second gear at high rpm.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

i cant begin to comment on this on this post..
Originally Posted by d15b7
hi.

this isn't EVO specific, but if you are experiencing trouble shifting into reverse or first from neutral when at a stop, that is an indication that the clutch is "dragging" or that the throwout bearing is on its way out......

if the clutch isn't releasing completely, it will make shifting difficult, and will wear on the synchros, etc.

good luck.

todd

ps i have 28k miles on my '03, and i changed all the fluids at 15k miles. i used Diaqueen in the rear diff and xfer case, and Synchromesh in the tranny. she still shifts really really nice, and is quiet. i daily drive it and have done 4 track days since the synchromesh. no probs as of now! and clutch is the stock orig unit.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
i cant begin to comment on this on this post..
What's to comment on?

Quick Reply: Penzoil Syncomesh Destroying my Tranz