Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Penzoil Syncomesh Destroying my Tranz

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put in Penzoil Synchromesh last weekend and my car has been running great. The shifter slides into the all gears very nicely. Also there was a bit of a whine when the car was cold in 1st gear and I have not heard the sound since I changed the fluid.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Call jon at TRE ( he uses the screenname GEARS on thi s site) he only recommends STOCK stuff, I didn't do stock until he said so on one of my threads, I dousched mine also a while ago Due to non-stock stuff, change it out of there pronto, and put in stock! good luck
Exactly. Listen to what the pros say to use. Tons of DSM guys swore by using BG Synchroshift. That stuff destroys trannies. Yeah it feels great when you put it in because their is no resistance since its so thin! Best stuff is stock for the tranny.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the price it's the only thing to use. I change mine everytime I run the car at the track though, always clean and shifts smooth at ANY RPM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool so i guess Its not the Oil... maybe the clutch rod? or try to adjust the clutch? Ill find the post on here and see if that helps. But today it was fine. It shifted as smooth as my friends 02M3 which u can shift with your pinky finger!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d15b7
hi.

this isn't EVO specific, but if you are experiencing trouble shifting into reverse or first from neutral when at a stop, that is an indication that the clutch is "dragging" or that the throwout bearing is on its way out......

if the clutch isn't releasing completely, it will make shifting difficult, and will wear on the synchros, etc.

good luck.

todd

ps i have 28k miles on my '03, and i changed all the fluids at 15k miles. i used Diaqueen in the rear diff and xfer case, and Synchromesh in the tranny. she still shifts really really nice, and is quiet. i daily drive it and have done 4 track days since the synchromesh. no probs as of now! and clutch is the stock orig unit.

Hey Todd,

You are on the ball with this problem. It sounds like a text book example of a dragging clutch.

Jon@TRE
Old Jul 26, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

True there are better oils than Synchromesh that are super friggin slippery and will protect the gear faces and bearings to hell & back but they will greatly reduce the ability of the synchronizer to do it's job to the point of crashing engagement teeth, especially on those lightning fast shifts and that's why I and many other gentlemen use a synchromesh gear oil in an EVO that needs to shift its best. And hell it's available just about everywhere for cheap so change it often and drive it like you stole it.

The EVO has wide gearshaft spacing and wide gear faces that can deal with the Synchromesh oils much better than the old DSM transmissions can, especially when it comes to big league HP & Torque figures.

Long Live The EVO
Old Jul 26, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEARS
Hey Todd,

You are on the ball with this problem. It sounds like a text book example of a dragging clutch.

Jon@TRE
So what's best for dealing with a dragging clutch?

And can a bad TOB cause the problem or contribute?

Thanks...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Jon for you input!

Kazzevo8: So what's best for dealing with a dragging clutch?

Thats what i wanna know!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ok for all that need to know where to adjust I found this on another Thread:

http://*********************/forums/showthread.php?t=157