Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump
Old Jul 27, 2005, 07:44 PM

bump bump
Old Jul 27, 2005, 07:49 PM

i could really use some more help.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will lose a lot of power running the 10w50. it's really thick stuff. i would only use that on an old engine w/ worn rings and stuff. use 5w30 or 10w30 at the most in hot climates. i still use 5w30 here in hawaii.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolManiac
i could really use some more help.
If your choices are only between the Castrol and the Mobil1, I would go for the Mobil1 even though its thicker and might cost you some power. I used 'might' because viscosity isn't the only factor affecting horsepower nor protection. Mobil1 uses some really good additives and their basestock is pretty good too. If you are willing to consider other choices, ester-based oils like Redline/Motul/NEO are good choices for racing needs.

I use Redline/HKS oils personally.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah...esters have a natural affinity for hot metals so it has a positive cleansing effect Cleans up your engine real good if you allow it time and several oil change intervals to work its stuff. The downsides that I know of are that its expensive and hygroscopic.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:28 PM

okay i have one day left so anyone else?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

i have had nothing but the best of luck with Mobil, even their dino oil is great. Ever break down a motor using Castrol? If so then you know why I dont really like it.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
heard hks is already saying you want the evo 8 non mivec engine if you want power.
That was the case from day one that they had announced it being a brand new engine.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:48 PM

how about the weight of the oil any suggestions? Ive been using 10w40 in the past but one of the Japanese guys were saying use 15w50, since it has more viscosity and lube the parts better. I dont want to loose power from the new oil though, im a mountain driver/drifter, so going up, i need some quick reaction from my engine. This is also my everyday car, and i dont want anything to happen to it as well. I would go with HKS but theres no time to order, so im stuck with limited selections...
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

i have 5w-30redline oil full synthetic and its good for turbo cars.

http://search.ebay.com/redline-oil_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
Old Jul 28, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolManiac
how about the weight of the oil any suggestions? Ive been using 10w40 in the past but one of the Japanese guys were saying use 15w50, since it has more viscosity and lube the parts better. I dont want to loose power from the new oil though, im a mountain driver/drifter, so going up, i need some quick reaction from my engine. This is also my everyday car, and i dont want anything to happen to it as well. I would go with HKS but theres no time to order, so im stuck with limited selections...
Make the weight selection based on your ambient temp and your usage application. If you use thick oils but doesn't bring the car up to operating temp, it will do more damage to your engine as the oil don't thin out enough to get between your bearings thus causing increased metal on metal wear. Modern engines have fine tolerances and as such, thick oils are usually not recommended unless you are sure that you will be using the oil within its operating temp. I take that to be between 90C to 110C having collated the info. from various sources. Try to keep the weight close to the manufacturer's recommendation. If you have an oil temp guage, look at the typical range of temp that you car operates within under daily driving and racing conditions. Use that info. to make your weight selection. If you don't have such info, thinner is better than thicker most of the time. Unless you are taking part in the 24hrs Le Mans of course

Most ester-based oils can sustain long period of high temp operations without problem. Take redline for example, the 5w30 can go as high as 145C without thinning out to a level that will cause increased engine wear. Ester-based oils don't shear easily, making them perfect for high load and high temp operations.

I don't know what you are looking for considering you only have 2 choices
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by LordEvoIX
Make the weight selection based on your ambient temp and your usage application. If you use thick oils but doesn't bring the car up to operating temp, it will do more damage to your engine as the oil don't thin out enough to get between your bearings thus causing increased metal on metal wear. Modern engines have fine tolerances and as such, thick oils are usually not recommended unless you are sure that you will be using the oil within its operating temp. I take that to be between 90C to 110C having collated the info. from various sources. Try to keep the weight close to the manufacturer's recommendation. If you have an oil temp guage, look at the typical range of temp that you car operates within under daily driving and racing conditions. Use that info. to make your weight selection. If you don't have such info, thinner is better than thicker most of the time. Unless you are taking part in the 24hrs Le Mans of course

Most ester-based oils can sustain long period of high temp operations without problem. Take redline for example, the 5w30 can go as high as 145C without thinning out to a level that will cause increased engine wear. Ester-based oils don't shear easily, making them perfect for high load and high temp operations.

I don't know what you are looking for considering you only have 2 choices

Good advice LordEvo
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6030793
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

anyone have more info on royal purple???

Quick Reply: Motor Oil