Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks 4g63>0000, bad wording on my part
Old Aug 23, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
I noticed that when my car had the TME on it combined with a Stage IV kit, 272 cams advanced 2 degrees each and water injection...Not only did that combo spool up by 2800rpm, but it also surged pretty badly when it was coming on boost. I think the nature of a large turbo on a small 2.0L motor combined with mods meant to focus on response more than high rpm horsepower create a situation where the motor simply can't take in that efficient volume of air at partial throttle.
I agree. At low rpm, the total airflow demand of the engine isn't enough to absorb the volume of air delivered by a quick-spooling turbo of sufficient capacity, which is momentarily bringing you into the wrong side of the compressor surge line.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The TME is like getting hit from behind, it is instant and almost "violent" when it hits. The 20G is much more linear. Over 6,000 rpm the 20G makes a lot more power, you can feel it.
Three quick questions...

(1) If I were to opt for your 20G Al/Ti option, I assume it simply involves replacement of the existing Al/Ti wheel in my TME unit?

(2) Has anyone over there yet run the Al/Ti 20G wheel?

(3) Is the wheel the only item replaced (i.e. everything else fits exactly as before)?
Old Aug 23, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will try and post some dyno plots once I get tuned by Al. I haven't received my turbo yet, but once installed and tuned I will give impressions and track times (as long as the stock clutch holds up)
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

^ Just don't let him launch your car.....
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Three quick questions...

(1) If I were to opt for your 20G Al/Ti option, I assume it simply involves replacement of the existing Al/Ti wheel in my TME unit?

(2) Has anyone over there yet run the Al/Ti 20G wheel?

(3) Is the wheel the only item replaced (i.e. everything else fits exactly as before)?
I sent a TME turbo for conversion, I was told the wheel, machining for the compressor cover for it to fit, and I recall possibly some clipping..

Probably have something back shortly, hopefully.. My car should be back from the body shop in less than 2 weeks.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be interest in those results Malibu. I'm ordering a TME at the end of the month.. and plan on upgrading to a 20g next spring.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Good news, turbos came in today and anyone with one on order will be shipping today. We have a couple left on the shelf for anyone interested.

IF you send in your turbo I can NOT install a ti/al wheel in it. If you want the ti/al wheel you will have to buy the TME 20g, that is the turbo that's $1500.

BTW, dyno'd another WR yesterday. The car is a complete BR Stage 4 with a ECU+ that the owner has tuned himself, did a good job with the tune. Alky+ pump gas in the car. He made a very impressive 364 whp with it. I was very impressed. Asked how much boost and he said about 25 psi. I then hooked up the boost input to the dyno so we could log it. The "lie detector" (that's what I call the boost input on the dyno-haha) revealed an actual 31 psi of peak boost. I was surpised to see it falling off to 21 psi by redline. HP curve was very flat though, it held the 364 whp all the way to 7500 rpm, nice curve. A lot of boost though.

Thanks!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 24, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got a question..........

Anybody know which would be a better choice for road racing; the TME20g or TME
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Good news, turbos came in today and anyone with one on order will be shipping today. We have a couple left on the shelf for anyone interested.

IF you send in your turbo I can NOT install a ti/al wheel in it. If you want the ti/al wheel you will have to buy the TME 20g, that is the turbo that's $1500.

BTW, dyno'd another WR yesterday. The car is a complete BR Stage 4 with a ECU+ that the owner has tuned himself, did a good job with the tune. Alky+ pump gas in the car. He made a very impressive 364 whp with it. I was very impressed. Asked how much boost and he said about 25 psi. I then hooked up the boost input to the dyno so we could log it. The "lie detector" (that's what I call the boost input on the dyno-haha) revealed an actual 31 psi of peak boost. I was surpised to see it falling off to 21 psi by redline. HP curve was very flat though, it held the 364 whp all the way to 7500 rpm, nice curve. A lot of boost though.

Thanks!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
His name wasnt Ivan, was it?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

David, as for the 20g what size cams do you recommend running for road racing? i will have all supporting mods with cam gears
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't recommend the 20G for road racing at all. The high boost part throttle with the turbo causes surge issues, I posted about this a few posts ago. It has something to do with driving style as my car has never done it with myself or Kevin driving it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't recommend the 20G for road racing at all. The high boost part throttle with the turbo causes surge issues, I posted about this a few posts ago. It has something to do with driving style as my car has never done it with myself or Kevin driving it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David,
I've had that same issue with my stock turbo with my Forge DV adjusted incorrectly. Although it may be the turbo causing the issue, there may be other causes for the surge. I wish I could help more, but I just wanted to make you aware that the same thing can occur with the stock turbo.

-Paul
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dryad001
Here is my timing map for the WR on the UTEC. There is no knock whatsoever. If you are running a UTEC use my map at your own risk.
Is that an alky or race gas tune?

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.