Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt55
Hey David , would you dyno your RS again with the new tme 20G .
How is the spool vs the non tme turbo ?
thanks

+1! I would love to see that comparrison at the same ~22-23psi boost levels.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Wow, if a stock EVO on that dyno makes 180-190 then you are making some huge numbers on 91 octane. The car has to be fast as hell.

My car at 330 whp on our dyno ran traps speeds of 120 mph and 11.30 times. Our dyno measures stock EVO's in the 200-215 range.

As a side note. I was not able to get the boost high in my car for a long time. I have made posts about this and comments. Couldn't find the problem. I used a 2003 turbo for my core, very quick job, no rebuild no nothing. Just put a turbo together for this 20G testing. This turbo has gone 124 mph with 22-23 psi of boost. That was as high as it would go even with the hose pulled off the actuator. This past week we pulled the turbo off and I put on the TME 20G, holy ****. The boost was nuts, 41 psi the boost hit on the EMS datalogger. I sent the other turbo out to have checked, it was obviously not up to par for one reason or another.

I will be taking the car back to the track now that I have the boost problem fixed. I fully expect this 20G to trap in very close to 130 mph on race gas now.

Still working on a new design that will hopefully eliminate the surging issues that the current 20G can have.

Good things just keep coming our of here. This is, in my opinion, the ultimate daily driver turbo. I don't like lag though

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Will this "mystery component" be something I could get my hands one since I didn't install my turbo yet and can disassemble what is needed?

I don't think the surge will be all that bad if time is taken to adjust the DV correctly, heck even the stock turbo surges a bit, but I want to make sure everything in my car is 100% before I bring it out.. If its a replacement cover, let me know, I have a spare cover I can send you.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Keep up the good work . Maybe by next year the 20g will be all finish and I can use bonus or tax money for it

BTW how much will it cost for installation? If I'm going to do it I guess it would be to drive to BR and due the swap and get it tune as well
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Dave.. can you tell Nick to get off his *** and reply to my email I had some questions regarding this turbo.. and the ported o2/manifold. I'm seriously considering getting this beast before winter hits.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Wow, if a stock EVO on that dyno makes 180-190 then you are making some huge numbers on 91 octane. The car has to be fast as hell.

My car at 330 whp on our dyno ran traps speeds of 120 mph and 11.30 times. Our dyno measures stock EVO's in the 200-215 range.

As a side note. I was not able to get the boost high in my car for a long time. I have made posts about this and comments. Couldn't find the problem. I used a 2003 turbo for my core, very quick job, no rebuild no nothing. Just put a turbo together for this 20G testing. This turbo has gone 124 mph with 22-23 psi of boost. That was as high as it would go even with the hose pulled off the actuator. This past week we pulled the turbo off and I put on the TME 20G, holy ****. The boost was nuts, 41 psi the boost hit on the EMS datalogger. I sent the other turbo out to have checked, it was obviously not up to par for one reason or another.

I will be taking the car back to the track now that I have the boost problem fixed. I fully expect this 20G to trap in very close to 130 mph on race gas now.

Still working on a new design that will hopefully eliminate the surging issues that the current 20G can have.

Good things just keep coming our of here. This is, in my opinion, the ultimate daily driver turbo. I don't like lag though

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Wow, 41psi spike!! That in itslef is very impressive. I wonder how well the boost will hold to say, 8K rpms?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

So about the wastegate actuator... I have an 03 so I'm assuming I should "upgrade" to the 05 style with this 20g turbo? If nothing else.. my car has 40k miles on it.. so maybe it would be good to replace this anyways?

I don't have any local support or good shops.. so I'll have to make sure I get everything I could need before I tackle this installation.

GOKOU: It's around 225-250 for installation @ Buschur.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The new thing we are going to try for the 20G is not going to be something that can be replaced, sorry.

The installation of the 20G is $250.

The wastegate actuator isn't absolutely needed. What I have done on my car makes boost easy though. I just pull the hose off the boost control and run it straight to my BOV vacuum/boost line for pump gas and then when I want to run high boost I put it back onto the boost control. Quick and easy. With the high boost actuator on my car if I go from a stop, like a drag race, the car holds 20 psi in every gear to redline. IF I roll into the throttle and load the car hard, so in 4th or 5th gear though the boost will go as high as 22-23 psi and then fall off. With the boost controller hooked up it stays just about where I set it.

The 41 psi spike is impressive. I am looking forward to just running the turbo with all it has and see what it will run and make for power on the dyno.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Dave:

I'm a little confused here.. I think what you're getting at is that you are seeing similar results with and without the mbc being hooked up? Which is why you are saying the actuator isn't absolutely needed? I've only had one cup of coffee this morning so I'm a little slow.

Also.. will turbo's ordered within the next week - 2 weeks include this "new thing" you're working on?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

What I am saying is runnning directly off the high boost actuator the car holds 19 psi to redline with no boost controller. The actuator is needed to keep the wastegate closed at high boost.

I don't even know if the "new thing" is going to work out, if it is any better it is going to be extremely expensive and might not be worth the additional cost.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Gotcha! How much is the upgraded actuator?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like an externally gated 20G to me.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

The actuator is $175 with a core.

Put the car back on the dyno yesterday to try some new settings in the AEM EMS.

This thing is just plain nasty. The car has race gas in it again. I messed with boost levels and with timing as I had some ideas and wanted to see what would happen.

I ran the boost as high as 38 psi, the car would not make anymore power. The turbo is just out of its efficiency range and I am sure the back pressure in the turbine housing is through the roof.

Running the boost at different levels it was interesting to watch the HP and torque levels. Keep in mind a stock EVO on our dyno will make 200-215 whp.

It seems that anything over a peak boost of 30 psi with this TME 20G that is on my car right now makes no difference in power or torque. The difference between a peak of 27-28 psi and 30 psi is about 18 whp. That is about what I would expect.

The car made 374 whp and 396 ft lbs of torque. The peak torque is at 4500 rpm!! That's nice, no wonder the car feels so fast.

I moved the timing around quite a bit too and the car didn't want to make much more power than it was. I actually backed it off quite a bit from where I usually have it and dropped the knock count down quite a bit without much of a loss in power.

I pulled the car off the dyno with less boost and timing than I would run with what I would consider having it set on "kill". Still made 369 whp and 372 ft lbs of torque with a much safer tune/boost level.

Very happy with this. The most I have ever seen a 20G make was my old car, it made 446 whp on a 2wd Dynojet. This would be about 365 on our dyno. My old car ran 10.72 at 131 mph with John Shepherd behind the wheel and 11.0 at 127 with me driving it, this was in a 1991 AWD DSM.

I believe the turbo is only going to get better. I overnighted some parts to the turbo shop yesterday and should have a new 20G back here next week. The pricing isn't going to be as bad as I thought. If this works out it should be much better and the surging issues I believe will be taken care of.

Bottom line is this turbo is great as far as I am concerned. Spool up is fast, power it is making is really good and the prices are right. $800 for a conversion of any EVO8 turbo is where the pricing starts. I don't feel there is any difference in using the TME over the normal set up, it may spool a little faster but it is hard to tell. The 10.5 housings are worth the money and we sell them seperately and have them instock on the shelf.

Boost on.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Man I can't freaking wait! But if the surging issues are going to be taken care of.. maybe I should wait

What octane gas are those numbers with? They exceed what I'm looking for which is good. I was looking around 325-340pump and 340-360race.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

I am hoping the surging is taken care of and I think this change will produce more power overall and should make quite a bit more as the boost levels continue to rise.

Remember the 325-340 pump and 340-360 on race gas numbers you are talking about will depend on the dyno you run on.

The car has a mixture of race gas in it right now. I had straight 94 in the car, I didn't drain it and put VP C16 in it, I then ran very low at the track this weekend and added some Sunoco 116 on top of that.

Car goes back on pump gas today for the drive to the Normal, IL mod day Saturday!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so you gained 40 more hp (370 vs 330) over 11.3@124 runs ?

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.