Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
No, I can't do a ballbearing version of the turbo and don't really see the need to add the expense. The spool up is crazy fast as it is, it would just add un-needed expense to the turbo.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Ah okay very well. Also another quick question. Would adding your external wastegate fitting make a difference to this ? Or would the internal wastegate be suffice?
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David, any gains with pump gas
Old Nov 11, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The turbo is on the RS, nothing fits anymore. I had to order another part which I am having overnighted in, the testing will take place on 11-10-05, Friday for sure. I want to get this done and posted before the weekend.

The main purpose of this is the elimination of the compressor surge. Although in the process I think there is going to be some additional power made too. The car made 376 whp and 396 ft lbs. I don't know if it will make much more peak but I am atleast hoping to carry the curve out further.

Also, I believe the car is full of 94 octane right now. Probably going to tune it like that as there is too much gas in it to mix or bother draining it. I don't think I have dyno'd it on pump gas yet, so it will be interesting to see what it makes.

I'd love to be able to make 400 whp on our dyno with this set-up but that is getting very high for a turbo this size. That would be around 470 whp on a Dynojet, crazy.

The 20G that we have been using and selling quites making any considerable additional power after 30 psi of boost. I think that could also change with this new design.

I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!

One other thing, we have a ported shroud compressor cover in the works for the EVO8 and EVO9 turbos. Not sure how much longer it will be but the prototype is finished.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

i have my eyes on this dave... Post your results with the 20G updates asap
Old Nov 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bump for some late night updates..
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
It's Saturday, the car is together and I just got back from a test drive. HOLY CRAP is about all I can say without it getting edited!!

What a huge difference in the entire feel of the car. I don't know if it is because I haven't driven it in 3 weeks or what.

This is the turbo, the turbo to have, the turbo to run on pump gas, the turbo to run on race gas. This is the ONE.

EXTREMELY smooth, EXTREMELY linear and best of all the compressor surge is gone. I was pretty sure in my mind that this was going to be the solution and that is why I spent what I did to get this done as fast as I could. Unbelievable. The turbo now spools very fast just like the original 20G did but is no extremely smooth more like a GT3071 acts. I can no longer feel any surging what-so-ever. Did I say it is EXTREMELY smooth?! haha

Something else, to me the car felt like it was just done before at about 6500 rpm. Kevin and Trent, who both drove it at the dragstrip said they didn't feel that. Today the car keeps pulling and I found that I didn't even want to shift it.

The car is full of 94 octane and is sitting on the dyno now. I am going to dyno it on pump gas, which will be a first time for the 20G be dyno'd that way.

I am so happy this has worked out. Through the process of doing it I came across some other things that need to be changed with the turbo to make it work. I will put pricing together for the complete kit after I dyno the car. The turbo alone is going to be $1350 with out a core as I said earlier.

I am still building the EVO8 20G's and still feel this is an very good turbo. How can you argue with 11.30's and 124 mph trap speeds at 22-23 psi of boost? The surging is an issue for some guys but many it is not.

I will go into the exact specifics of what this is later when I am done with the dyno.

Thanks!!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

^ Great news Dave!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

It's Saturday, the car is together and I just got back from a test drive. HOLY CRAP is about all I can say without it getting edited!!

What a huge difference in the entire feel of the car. I don't know if it is because I haven't driven it in 3 weeks or what.

This is the turbo, the turbo to have, the turbo to run on pump gas, the turbo to run on race gas. This is the ONE.

EXTREMELY smooth, EXTREMELY linear and best of all the compressor surge is gone. I was pretty sure in my mind that this was going to be the solution and that is why I spent what I did to get this done as fast as I could. Unbelievable. The turbo now spools very fast just like the original 20G did but is no extremely smooth more like a GT3071 acts. I can no longer feel any surging what-so-ever. Did I say it is EXTREMELY smooth?! haha

Something else, to me the car felt like it was just done before at about 6500 rpm. Kevin and Trent, who both drove it at the dragstrip said they didn't feel that. Today the car keeps pulling and I found that I didn't even want to shift it.

The car is full of 94 octane and is sitting on the dyno now. I am going to dyno it on pump gas, which will be a first time for the 20G be dyno'd that way.

I am so happy this has worked out. Through the process of doing it I came across some other things that need to be changed with the turbo to make it work. I will put pricing together for the complete kit after I dyno the car. The turbo alone is going to be $1350 with out a core as I said earlier.

I am still building the EVO8 20G's and still feel this is an very good turbo. How can you argue with 11.30's and 124 mph trap speeds at 22-23 psi of boost? The surging is an issue for some guys but many it is not.

I will go into the exact specifics of what this is later when I am done with the dyno.

Thanks!!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Great news . I'm sure whatever price you put out with this kit it'll be one hell of a deal
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:26 AM

Good job dave! can't wait to see the results
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks!!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Dave this is sweet. This is my Bday gift to myself .
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

david thats the news I was hoping to hear!!!

I look forward to getting your updated 20G turbo.... I really like the stockers spool characteristics with the high power potentiwal....

so will it be able to make power at over 30 psi?
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:58 AM

same here....

looking to up-grade...this winter......
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, not wonder it felt better up top! The curves found earlier in this thread the HP fell off quite a bit up top. Well it still falls some but I am running on a stock actuator now which allows for more boost taper.

First pull I made with the car the boost hit a peak of 21 psi and fell down to 16 psi. I had the stock actuator on with one of our manual boost controllers backed all the way off. This thing is bad ***....327 whp and 328 ft lbs of torque. I checked the log to find out it was VERY lean. AFR's were getting close to 13:1. This means this turbo is flowing more air for sure as before the AFR's were set up at around 11.5:1 !!

I added 15% more fuel to the fuel map at 8500 RPM and then interpolated back to about 4300 which is where it was 11.4:1. This was just about perfect and put the AFR's at 11.4-11.6:1.

I turned up the boost and made another pull, second pull was 20 whp and 20 ft lbs more than the first BUT the boost was too high, it hit 28 psi and fell down to 21 psi.

I turned the boost down the next two pulls. The last pull I made (I am heading back out there in when I finish this post) was a peak of 25 psi and the boost fell down to 19-20. 337 whp and 339 ft lbs of torque.

Trying to compare these runs to the runs I have made before this turbo is a little laggier than the 20G of past. It is not a good comparison though as the pulls before were with the high boost actuator, race gas and much more aggressive timing curve. I think with the other actuator, race gas and the race gas tune the car will spool the same.

Before I leave today I will try and post the best pump gas map I come up with. I want to lower the boost a little bit more, maybe a peak of 23 psi and let it fall off from there.

I'm not sure but I think I can get very-very close to 400 whp with this turbo on our dyno with the other actuator and race gas.

Keep this in mind. When the car made 328 whp on race gas it ran an 11.30 at 120 mph. I am 10 whp over that now, this is going to be one sick pump gas turbo.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:06 AM

Great news. This is the turbo I want for sure
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:39 AM

can't wait for mine....
great job again dave....
keep up the great work....
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

wow...good stuff...

Now the million dollar question: will this turbo hit 400whp on straight 93 Octane (no alky) on a dynojet?

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.