Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to do some reading on the PowerFC as compared to a custom dynoflash. It would be nice to be able to drive up to your shop and get custom tuned without having to work around Al's schedule. Nothing against Al as I'm a very happy customer.. it's just doing the whole dyno day thing kind of sucks.

Keep us updated on your PowerFC results (as i'm sure you will anyways)
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

i here u, i want to drive to david and get the turbo instaled and tuned but im kinda a long drive away. 8-9 hour drive sucks.
Originally Posted by justchil
I need to do some reading on the PowerFC as compared to a custom dynoflash. It would be nice to be able to drive up to your shop and get custom tuned without having to work around Al's schedule. Nothing against Al as I'm a very happy customer.. it's just doing the whole dyno day thing kind of sucks.

Keep us updated on your PowerFC results (as i'm sure you will anyways)
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the heck out of the Power FC. Has a simple boost controller in it too. I am expecting the same results with it as I am with AEM. Simple to switch boost settings with the Commander. The unit does not have knock control but does have the ability to flash the CEL if any knock is heard.

Fairly in-expensive too.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well I think it is going to depend on what is done to the car for mods. Personally I'd recommend our Stage 4 being done before even considering a 20G. Then it will depend on boost level, octane and what the car is being tuned with.

Jarrod's car has the Apex Power FC on it. I worked on his car for a couple of hours and am not finished yet. With 18-19 psi of boost his car made 297 whp on pump gas. I am not as familar with the Power FC as I am the EMS so it takes me much longer to get the tune exact. I think his car will go 320 whp on pump by the time I am done.

This would be "typical".

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David,

Speaking of Stage 4 BR kit, I am running this on my car but I did not get the injector/pump upgrade yet.

If I am planning on going with the 20g soon what size injectors do you recommend? You said in a earlier post you would recommend no less than 680cc. Would 780's be too much juice?

Thanks,
Zach
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

I picked up my coated 02 housing today. I am going to start installing this stuff tonight and probably pull an all nighter if my lower back holds up. *now, where did I put those pain pills

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Ok,
On topic. David Buschur just stated in a few posts above that his car went 124mph on 328whp.

Now, go back to post 264:

So now White Rabbits with simple bolt ons are making 364 (regardless of boost) and are therefore capable of around 127mph in the 1/4?

Ok, let's redo the math in a different way:
328wph + 22% = 400whp on Switzer's Dynojet

Now ct9a GSR has one of the fastest stock turboed Evos in the World. He did 389whp/420wtq on Switzers Dyno with 29psi with Alcohol injection:
His top MPH ever is 118.

How is 124mph possible? Things weren't quite adding up so I read a whole bunch of DBs posts over again and found this on post 387:

On some posts Dave posts that it did 120mph and on others he says 124mph. Which is it?
In the world? lol

I don't know how relevant this info is but here goes. I also dynoed at the same shop as Charles(ct9a gsr) and on my old tune I put down 373whp and 384trq on C16(26-27psi).

I ran a best of 12.069-12.100 and was trapping 117.8mph. Same trap, but 16whp less and and 36 less torque.

This was with a crappy 1.8-- sixty foot time.

I don't know what was the point you were trying to make smog, but I am making less power and torque and trapping the same, so.......
Old Jan 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
phenem,

If you are running a BR Stage 4 on your car but don't have a pump and injectors than you have only Stage 3. That is perfect for the stock turbo.

The pump/injectors will be needed for the 20G. The 680's are the minimum injector you will need with the turbo. Problem with running a larger injector is if you are using a reflash you may have some problems with idle and such.

My car currently has 880 cc injectors in it and I am over 80% duty cycle on them. I am also running 28 psi of boost.

I talked to a customer yesterday that has his turbo on and he has 780's, he is at 100% too.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 9, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with running a larger injector is if you are using a reflash you may have some problems with idle and such.

My car currently has 880 cc injectors in it and I am over 80% duty cycle on them. I am also running 28 psi of boost.

I talked to a customer yesterday that has his turbo on and he has 780's, he is at 100% too.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Dave,

Can the Power FC tame the 880 cc injectors? Does it have 2 step functionality or anti-lag? I am thinking this would be a good addition for my spring time project and I will just go with the 880's now instead of 680's to have room for the future.

Last edited by DragNRacing; Jan 9, 2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 08:10 PM
Account Disabled

What about ECUTEK? I hear it can cancel out larger injectors?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

dave would 680 injectors be sufficent if ur planning on running alky injection
Old Jan 9, 2006, 09:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
How much injector does one need?

500hp at a BSFC of ~0.55 lb/hp/hr = 275lb/hr = static injector size of 68.75 lb/hr for a 4-cyl engine.
75 lb/hr = 1.25lb/min
1.25lb/min = 0.568 kg/min
Gasoline = 0.783g/cc, so 0.568kg/min = 725cc/min

So, a genuine 500bhp combination needs a ~750cc/min injector. A 650cc should be considered good for up to ~450bhp.

If you're getting higher than expected duty cycle readings for your injector size, here are the most obvious possibilities:

- The duty cycle reading is innaccurate.
- The injector's capacity is overrated.
- You don't have the proper injector drivers (standalone).

If you're using an alcohol injection kit, keep in mind that alcohol removes some injector load.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

now i dont know what size injector to run. either 680 or 780 but i dont want idle problems because i am running a flash. can Al tune 780cc injectors?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

phenem,

If you are running a BR Stage 4 on your car but don't have a pump and injectors than you have only Stage 3. That is perfect for the stock turbo.

The pump/injectors will be needed for the 20G. The 680's are the minimum injector you will need with the turbo. Problem with running a larger injector is if you are using a reflash you may have some problems with idle and such.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I am going to order the pump/injectors here soon, just wanted to know what size I would need.

Do I need to get another reflash if I am currently on the Stg3 flash if I have an SAFC coming? I am going to install your FMIC, 10.5 hotside, pump/injectors(780), and my SAFC. Will that surfice as far as idle and everything with the stock turbo and 780cc injectors? Can I get away with not getting another reflash or will I be better off getting a reflash now and when I get my 20g?

Thanks,
Zach
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Another solution to the fuel injector issue may be to use the smaller injector and just turn up the fuel pressure a little?

This is assuming you're in the ballpark on duty cycles; there is a practical limit on how much the injector can flow and how much fuel pressure you can reasonably run. But injectors are rated at some flow (680 cc/min or whatever) at a certain fuel pressure. I believe the stock static fuel pressure is 3 bar (the stock fuel pressure regulator raises the fuel pressure by 1 psi/psi boost). If you're close on duty cycles, you can just turn up the fuel pressure a little bit with and adjustable FPR to get the extra fuel flow through the injectors, right?

Is it possible to get flashed for 680 injectors at a slightly higher static fuel pressure (resulting in, say, 700 or 720cc injector flow)? What is the practical flow limit for injectors to work with the flash? Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

u will definitly need a flash when u get ur 20g
Originally Posted by phenem
I am going to order the pump/injectors here soon, just wanted to know what size I would need.

Do I need to get another reflash if I am currently on the Stg3 flash if I have an SAFC coming? I am going to install your FMIC, 10.5 hotside, pump/injectors(780), and my SAFC. Will that surfice as far as idle and everything with the stock turbo and 780cc injectors? Can I get away with not getting another reflash or will I be better off getting a reflash now and when I get my 20g?

Thanks,
Zach
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
u will definitly need a flash when u get ur 20g
I kind of figured that just wanted to save some money if I could and not get a flash now but still see the same power advantages when adding my FMIC, 10.5 hotside, megan o2 housing, and injectors (780).

I said in the above post I did not have a pump but I was not thinking clearly I added a walbro when I went to BR Stg3.

What do you think Dave? Flash or no flash and tune with SAFC? Same power advantages or not?

Thanks,
Zach

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.