Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1350??

Originally Posted by mike1023
so now is it worth 1350 for the 30hp

Buschur Racing 20G-9 Turbo w/ Evo 8 Turbo Core $950.00
Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
That is a good question, is 30 whp worth $950 (if you have a 10.5 housing already) or $1350 for a complete new turbo.

Here are some of the pros of the turbo:

Uses all the factory oil lines, water lines, gaskets, bolts, banjo bolts etc. This makes it an easy thing to repair or have serviced if you are looking for parts or have a problem somewhere on a trip.

The turbo has stock spool up characteristics. No waiting on the turbo to spool.

The turbo makes more torque than at low boost levels than any of the GT series turbos out there. Fast spool up makes for large torque numbers on these engines.

Stock appearing, can't be detected by a dealer if you are keeping a fairly stealthy look to keep you car under the radar.

Those are what I can think of that I feel are good points. I personally love the turbo. I have it on my daily driver and anyone that has driven my car or rode in it has been amazed.

Trent, our welder and Daniel, my brother has them on their car too. Any one of us can choose any turbo we want and take it off the shelf to install on our cars. Three of us chose to use the "20g". Nick, my sales guy, who drives a 2G DSM, also runs one on his car.

If you are running pump gas most of the time or use your car mostly for daily driver and aren't looking for an all out drag terror this OR even the stock turbo is what we recommend.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats some great info dave, what if you are running alky 100% 24/7...would you still reccomend the 20g-9 or go with something a little bigger like the 3065 or 35r...

The only advantage I see in the 3065 or 35r would be expandability if you plan on building the motor later, thus enabling you to run more boost on the gt series turbos...
Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Actually running pump/alky or race gas with the "20G" is where it shines the most. The more boost you run with it (within limits) the more power it makes over the stock turbo. In other words running around town on 20-21 psi of boost on pump gas the turbo acts like stock and makes a small increase in power over the stock turbo. If you run a stock turbo at 25+ psi of boost the power increase is marginal. If you run the 20g at 25+ psi of boost the power increase shines and that is where you will gain your 30 whp over the stock turbo.

The GT style turbos will make an improvement over the stock turbo on straight pump gas but the torque suffers horribly. For example. A stock turbo's EVO on our dyno can hit 300 whp or a little over, I believe on pump gas we've had a few freaks hit 320 whp with the stock turbos, the torque was also 320 ft lbs. Jarrod's car is equipped with our 3065 turbo kit. At 23 psi of boost on 94 octane we hit 345 whp but the torque was 287 ft lbs.

That loss in torque from the larger turbo is a huge feeling driving around town that I don't want to live without.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
maybe not to u, but it sure as hell was to me.

so spending say 2grand and you go with what traps and does the turbo ever die in high revs.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Actually running pump/alky or race gas with the "20G" is where it shines the most. The more boost you run with it (within limits) the more power it makes over the stock turbo. In other words running around town on 20-21 psi of boost on pump gas the turbo acts like stock and makes a small increase in power over the stock turbo. If you run a stock turbo at 25+ psi of boost the power increase is marginal. If you run the 20g at 25+ psi of boost the power increase shines and that is where you will gain your 30 whp over the stock turbo.

The GT style turbos will make an improvement over the stock turbo on straight pump gas but the torque suffers horribly. For example. A stock turbo's EVO on our dyno can hit 300 whp or a little over, I believe on pump gas we've had a few freaks hit 320 whp with the stock turbos, the torque was also 320 ft lbs. Jarrod's car is equipped with our 3065 turbo kit. At 23 psi of boost on 94 octane we hit 345 whp but the torque was 287 ft lbs.

That loss in torque from the larger turbo is a huge feeling driving around town that I don't want to live without.
well stock turbo i belive you can hit it up to 30psi on race gas just need a nice fmic, i knew with my i run 26-28psi on race and its fine just gets heat shoce from the stock fmic. also the new gt3065 you came out with seems to be really nice small hot side of the turbo shows to spool nice while you have the big old housing part, but i would think that turbo will die top end, but also yes big turbo wont be that much fun around town, but when drag or if always in high rev its fun,

on other note, im looking at 20g becasue i want to make a all around car, most road racing, street driving, and street racing "shh" and i think the 20g would be a good match, but then i have a friend saying to me its going to be a waste of the money, not going to gain enought and not going to be happy with it, that i should get a gt35r, but i think that will be to much on the road racing, and also wont be fun taring up the streets, also i think with a 2.0L and gt35r is not a street car, its all drag, now if had a 2.3L with a gt35r would be a diff story but still i think to much for every day.

and on other note look at the ams car on the track it just seems to much power for the car around turns, ya he makes time up around the straigts but on turns look he cant handle it. car seems all over.

thats just my option, to many turbo setups to go with. lol need a guide.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

The stock turbo will hit 30 psi but doesn't make much if any addtional power there, that is the big downfall to the stock turbo. The 20g turbo gains power over the stock turbo by a ton at 30 psi.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

The stock turbo will hit 30 psi but doesn't make much if any addtional power there, that is the big downfall to the stock turbo. The 20g turbo gains power over the stock turbo by a ton at 30 psi.

yes that is very ture, but do you think you can hit 500hp with 20g, with the right setup
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can the stock turbo? im confused on y u are posting all this mumbo jumbo. listen i have a 20g-9-5 and its fast. thats all i can say. if spending the money it cost to get one is too much for u, then there is a simple solution.
yes that is very ture, but do you think you can hit 500hp with 20g, with the right setup
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

No, the 20g cannot hit 500 whp. Flywheel HP of 500 is possible but the max.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
can the stock turbo? im confused on y u are posting all this mumbo jumbo. listen i have a 20g-9-5 and its fast. thats all i can say. if spending the money it cost to get one is too much for u, then there is a simple solution.

no my vs the cost of it with the power gain, for what im building my car for, vs other turbos out there, money is not the problem but also trying to keep the cost to nothing to go fast, and that is what i have already proved to all. by spending very little. and now im on my way of thinking i can get a 20g run heavy boost with 116 and go 10s all it takes is a good drive, and i also prove i have some skill on the stock clutch, and i think with new cluth, turbo, fmic, injectors i can get to 10s with this setup.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

No, the 20g cannot hit 500 whp. Flywheel HP of 500 is possible but the max.

but coret me if im wrong you alread hit 480 on it.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it was right around 480...but you have to keep in mind that daves rs has everything on it...every part they sell. So dublicating those numbers acactly or even improving them by 20whp would be very, very hard to do safely....
Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
I think it was right around 480...but you have to keep in mind that daves rs has everything on it...every part they sell. So dublicating those numbers acactly or even improving them by 20whp would be very, very hard to do safely....

ya he said him self some post befor dont remeber were. he said everything he has from up to stage 4, which does not inclue head work, or pistions and what not like that. so if his car has that its misleading, corret me if im wrong.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
ya he said him self some post befor dont remeber were. he said everything he has from up to stage 4, which does not inclue head work, or pistions and what not like that. so if his car has that its misleading, corret me if im wrong.
Do some searching. Dave has listed out the mods on his car here numerous times. They include ported everything (inlcuding head), built short block, Revolver cams, cold air intake specific to non-ACD/non-MAF cars, etc.

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.