Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Check your boost gauge.
boost gauge is fine. also when i was at buschur racing to get tuned by Al, my car had a flat line of 21psi, give or take .3 at the most, from 3800rpms to 7200rpms.

on coolnights my boost hits around 22-23 and holds there as well.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by platinumspecv
Because some people want to make use of a 5000-8500rpm powerband
Doubtful. If someone isn't "hardcore" evough to run AI or race gas when they hit the track, I doubt they are going to be screaming around town at 8500 rpms every day on the stock block.

Also I think most would rather have a 3500 - 8000 rpm power band (4500rpm spread) than a 5000-8500 (3500 rpm spread) for a daily driver.

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 29, 2006, 05:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
That is exactly my point. Why would someone want to run a big laggy turbo to make 400whp/350wtq on pump gas when you can make 400whp/430wtq on a stock style turbo with alcohol injection for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

EVOlutionary
I happen to agree.. However there's something I"ve discovered in doing my research with different turbos.. and what led me to making some decisions I made over time. I've tested 6 different turbos on different cars, 4 of them stock based, and one big tubo kit, the lag on a turbo is not the only factor, but the power it produces.. Your peak torque will be where the turbo hits full boost, but I looked at over 100 different dyno charts for different turbos, and even though a big turbo is not in its peak boost, its producing roughly similar numbers under that curve UNTIL it hits peak boost, then things change. I'm not really talking about a big torque hump at low RPM that stock type turbos can do, but an area under the curve where you feel this in daily driving.

If you go from a mildly tuned stock turbo car, to a GT35r, you'd likely not notice enough of a difference for it to be a problem.. THIS IS WHY many people say the GT35r isn't so bad, their making an improvement over stock regardless..

In my case, I'd be going from a car that produces almost 400wtq at 3800rpm, to about the same number at 4000rpm at lower boost levels.. Plus the fact that its on pump gas.

You just can't beat the stock turbo good numbers and low-end power, just do your research and compare things from a level YOU ARE CURRENTLY AT.. I'm sure someone going from a 20G-9-5 to a GT35r (or even a 50 trim) would notice a significant difference in midrange, but its not as bad as I thought it might.. If your going from a stock turbo, with mild mods, then you might not notice any difference in drivability.

To each his own I suppose.. My real point is look at the difference from the Point your already at, and where you want to go. Its just very hard to quantify this without driving cars that have the mods you want, but I can tell you that any improved stock turbo is a BLAST to drive around town, and that wider powerband really makes driving around alot easier because downshifts aren't necessary as often. Some people upshift and downshift all the time regardless, and those people may not find the additional lag of a big turbo an annoyance at all..

BUT you can talk about this topic all day long, and everyone has their needs and opinions, and you can discuss this all you want. But asking the same questions and getting the same info over and over again is becoming counterproductive and will only delay your decisions.

Its a cut and dry decision..

If you Like low-end torque, drive at low speeds and lower RPM's, likes to feel like there's always power there, stick with a stock based turbo and you'll be damn happy.. Anything bigger really only adds to bragging rites and broken parts (Lets just say that I'm going against my advice on some of this, but my needs are different)

Also, tune has a huge impact on the quality of your drivability and that makes a HUGE difference on what you percieve as lag....
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by platinumspecv
Because some people want to make use of a 5000-8500rpm powerband
Wow, double the money invested, less spool, and the same peak power with less torque. Excellent logic!
Old Apr 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

OK I just spent an hour reading back from page 52, What the major diff between the 5 blade and 6blade? Sorry for the newbish question.

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
I think this turbo is the ultimate street setup...

I am going to get either the 20g-9-5 or go with the turbo dave said should be out by the end of the year for this car...

Then go big on my second evo which will be a evo 9 rs...in about 2 years

Whats the New turbo your talking about? 3065?

Last edited by Spooldyou; Apr 29, 2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 04:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooldyou
OK I just spent an hour reading back from page 52, What the major diff between the 5 blade and 6blade? Sorry for the newbish question.
The major difference is they have different compressors and behave differently.

The 6-blade appears to suffer from a configuration mismatch that causes a pressure ratio problem at high boost. I made more torque and the same power with a TME, and I would have been better off sticking with my TME.

The 5-blade does not have this problem, and appears to be a much better design. It costs more, but offers more potential.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:56 PM

Re : 20G with surging at part throttle

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT 20G INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!

First want to say I LOVE this turbo. Very happy with the performance and steady boost it is providing on my car.

Next, this weekend I had a EVO owner come in that we are doing a large build up on his car. I told him when he came in for the shootout I would let him drive my RS and after he did then he would know for sure that the 20G was the turbo for us to use on his car.

We pull out of the parking lot and it looks like he is already impressed. We start out of town and I don't know what he is doing at this point as the car is jerking and bucking and compressor surging, I say, "Damn, what are you doing?! This car has never done this before." He says, " I don't drive just at WOT, I have to modulate the throttle in boost in a corner." I am thinking, "WTF is going on, this is horrible." He drives it for 10 miles or so and says how impressed he is with how fast the car is, but the compressor surge isn't goign to cut it.

You know guys, I have let probably 6 guys drive this car since the 20G has been on it and nobody has had it surge. It is something to do with the technique of this high boost-part throttle driving style of a road racer. This turbo is NOT going to work if that is how you drive. Very odd.

I want to get this out there. We haven't shipped a turbo yet, if any of you think this may apply to your driving style DO NOT let us ship your order. Call and we will gladly return your cores or replace them with new ones, whatever it takes. I don't want anyone unhappy with this turbo.

I am both pissed off and glad at the same time that I discovered this before I could get the word out. It is very very odd to me.

As a side note we dyno'd a WR this weekend. As the car was coming up on boost on the dyno I could hear it surging too. That is puzzling as I have only read good things about it being road raced, any of you getting that surging at high boost part throttle with that turbo?

Thanks for reading,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Dear David,

At the end of 2006, I purchased a BR-20G-5 (not LT) turbo through a dealer locally and recently got it installed and tuned (I know I delayed it quite a bit)

During the tune and while driving, I encountered a slight compressor surge at part throttle (~24psi boost), as I was trying to maintain a cruising speed (without the need to go full throttle).

The compressor surge is quite audible, but the car does not seem to buck and jerk (as described in your post in 2005).

Mostly, I have had the car on a circuit and it seems quite fine to me. However, I do encounter some problem when I'm increasing my throttle out of a corner. It surges for a moment and down the straight I'm already on full throttle. There's another circuit, which requires more "moderation" of the throttle, which I'm worried about.

I was wondering if there is anything I will be able to to do solve this problem.

The BR-20G-5 has sold quite a number locally, but I'm not sure if you have had any e-mails or contact with respect to this issue?

Appreciate your feedback and if you could provide me your e-mail, I will send you a video clip of the part throttle surge if you are interested.

Thanks.

Pin
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There is nothing you can do to eliminate the surge on the 20g-9-5. You can upgrade it for a reasonable cost to the LT which has less surge but I still won't say it is 100% surge free under every single situation.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

lwpz'

The post you quoted was about the 20G-8 not the turbo you have. How much for the upgrade to the LT and how long is the wait David?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
There is nothing you can do to eliminate the surge on the 20g-9-5. You can upgrade it for a reasonable cost to the LT which has less surge but I still won't say it is 100% surge free under every single situation.
I agree with the above statement. You can get it to surge with improperly matched parts, but with proper supporting mods it can be 100% surge free.

One setup I know for a fact that will not surge with the EvoGreen/20GLT is stock ECU and stock EVO9 (JDM MR) BOV recirculating. One downside is this BOV may not hold as high of boost as the EvoGreen is capable of on race gas. . .

LWPZ -- What cams, BOV, and ECU are you running with the 20G9-5 that is surging?? I would recommend having the turbo upgraded to the EvoGreen specs -- you will gain more top end power without really losing any low end.

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:48 AM

Can the surge eventually kill the compressor wheel?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have never seen a compressor wheel fail from surging.

I spoke with FP today actually and am HOPING that by next Friday all the Greens/LT's we have outstanding right now will be in and off of back order.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I have never seen a compressor wheel fail from surging.

I spoke with FP today actually and am HOPING that by next Friday all the Greens/LT's we have outstanding right now will be in and off of back order.
David, will there be any extras for new orders or is that just wishful thinking?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Right now my main goal is to ship the orders we have, which are QUITE a few turbos. I may end up with an extra one or two depending on what they ship us.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:04 PM

Hi David, thank you for the reply. Do you mind PM-ing the cost for the upgrade?

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.