Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are some badass times and very nice trap speed!
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
To just answer the questions so far.

I don't need any "test" cars for the turbo, thanks to all the guys that have asked and sent me PM's I am making sure this turbo works as I want it to before I ever sell one, I am confident that once I do sell them they are going to work. Actually I am very happy right now and would start selling them today, except for the fact that right now I am not getting over 22-23 psi from it. I will check for the problem today. It has to go higher, just have to find out why it isn't. Probably a leak or actuator problem.

Other questions was what FMIC am I running. I have our new race FMIC on the car now, pretty impressive right?

I need to make sure EVERYONE can find the modifications on my RS before I EVER sell one of these turbos. My RS is HIGHLY modified. I mean by bolting on a GT35R and a swapping injectors the car would make a reliable 600+ whp right now. The only thing I had left to do was a turbo. I am over due for a turbo. My stock turbo would have run these numbers too, but it would have been done with much higher boost levels/spikes.

For sure, absolutely, 100% certain....this turbo pulls harder up top than the stock turbo did on my car. For sure, absolutely, 100% certain that it also is flowing more air as my AFR's were WAY leaner with this turbo getting bolted on than with the stock turbo. AFR's before were in the mid 11.5's, bolted on the turbo they went into the 12.5's. That is quite a change.

My car has on it right now:

Buschur Racing (BR) Stage 3 shortlbock
BR Stage 3 head
HKS 280 intake and exhaust cams
BR complete Stage 4
**Substituted our normal FMIC for our race FMIC kit.
Also using the 680 cc injectors that come in Stage 4 kit
Using our MAF pipe with our optional cold air intake. (only works on car without HID lights and that no longer use the i/c sprayer bottle)
Exedy clutch
AEM EMS for engine management instead of AFC or flash
BR ported intake manifold and 65 mm throttle body
BR ported and ceramic coated manifold, turbine housing and 02 housing.
Stop Tech 335 mm front brake upgrade.
Car is being run on straight 118 octane fuel
One other important part. The final drive gearing has been changed. We did this for the C&D event so we could hit our top speed in 4th gear, which ended up NOT working. At this point in time I haven't decided if this gear change has helped our hurt the cars acceleration in the 1/4 mile. My guess is that it HAS slowed it down. I won't know until the day it gets changed back to stock.

Other tidbits:

My car is an RS, it was already pretty light to begin with. I added a stereo and speakers (RS comes without them). I removed the front and rear steel bumper re-enforcements. I removed the spare tire, jack and little tool kit. The car comes with no sound deadener from the factory, no power windows or power door locks. The car has our lightweight battery, exhaust and air filter kit on it. No ABS. Lightweight SSR Competition wheels 17x8.5", Yokohama Neova radials. DMS suspension, rear sway bar and titanium front strut bar. No HID headlights, no i/c sprayer bottle or alky.

What I am trying to get across here is I have done everything to the car to make it fast. This isn't some half *** effort with a bunch of parts just thrown on. Especially not some half *** put together package of the cheapest E-bay parts that could be found. (Don't attack me on that comment, just making a point)

I don't excpect many other people to duplicate a 11.30 at 120 mph. As a matter of fact it is going to be extremely difficult for anyone else to do it. Kevin had a 1.60 and a 1.61 sixty foot time on two of those runs. That in itself on those tires is absolutely amazing.

However, the 120 mph traps speeds at only 22 psi of boost doesn't lie. The turbo really picked up the car and the stock turbo could not duplicate that MPH without much higher boost levels.

This topic is about the turbo and the turbo seems to work well. This is the first time I have been really excited about the turbo since we started on it well over a year ago.

With the boost leak fixed I am really hoping to see a 10 second time from the car in the stock appearing class at the shootout. It stops faster than stock, turns faster/harder than stock, rides better than stock. This is an EVO, this car is just an improvement on a great car. This is NOT a drag car. It has had nothing CUT off of it or had any of the safety equipment removed from it. Seat belts are all intact and so are the air bags. The door beams are all in it and all the windows work as they should. There is no hole in my rear window where there use to be a wiper.

My point is while the car is built to its full potential it is in no way anything that can't be duplicated with some money and work (like in the lightening of the car). I like to think I made intelligent choices and that is why it is performing like it is.

Just wanted to make sure everyone reading this or that will read it in the future understands a turbo is not a miracle cure for a poor combination of parts. A turbo is what it is. It needs tuned and it needs to be installed with parts that will bring out its potential.

This particular turbo I feel is as good as you are going to get a stock appearing turbo on an EVO.

Looking forward to more boost and a 10 second pass.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

I feel with this turbo I have the ultimate EVO for ME. The car spools extremely fast, as you call can see from the logs. Pulls very hard up top.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that the times would improve if the standard final gearing was in there. It should improve the car's acceleration even a little more. Congrats Dave.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be curious to see what the turbo can do on an otherwise stock car.

Or even better, an Evo with BPU (exhaust, intake, cams, boost control, and a/f control).
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

X2
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

While I am curious, I also think a turbo shouldn't be done until after atleast the other main power producing modifications are done to the car. In other words, Full exhaust, fuel management (flash, AFC whatever), cams, good air intake, FMIC, fuel pump upgrade, boost controller. The same parts you guys listed are the minimum I'd recommend having before upgrading.

It will get tested like that eventually on someone's car, that I am sure of.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
While I am curious, I also think a turbo shouldn't be done until after atleast the other main power producing modifications are done to the car. In other words, Full exhaust, fuel management (flash, AFC whatever), cams, good air intake, FMIC, fuel pump upgrade, boost controller. The same parts you guys listed are the minimum I'd recommend having before upgrading.

It will get tested like that eventually on someone's car, that I am sure of.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I agree with you - it's at that point that most people consider turbo upgrades. Beyond here the stock turbo is almost at it's limit, and most other mods are not very good bang for the buck (head work, intake/exhaust mani work, stroker, etc.) A new turbo is the only way to kind of break past that brick wall. This is why I ask, because I *know* many people who are looking for a turbo like the 20G (WR, and that other 'mystery' turbo) are all at the BPU level of modifications. I'm certain there will be some info on a customer car soon, I'd just like to see it as soon as I can.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

I have pricing figured out. Talked with the shop today.

IF you send in your good stock turbo we will upgrade it to the 20G for $800. This price includes have to change the back plate, cutting the compressor housing, re-balancing, clipping the turbine wheel and the compressor wheel.

IF you want to upgrade YOUR turbo and add a new 10.5 turbine housing we can do that for $1100. This will be the new '05 style turbo 10.5 with the single wastegate puck.

The turbo brand new using the titanium/aluminide wheel will be $1500.

That's it. The prices may end up a little bit lower before we actually start shipping them, we have a few more things to look into and look at that could save some money.

Thanks guys,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

BTW, I didn't get a chance to check out the car for boost leaks today.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to see this turbo tested on a stock motor car with cams and alky injection. The cold air intake, AEM, and stage 3 ported head as well as built block are not as common among people looking for 20g's. For now 11.3 is super impressive, but Dave, get this thing on a stock motor car with a relfash, or test with an safc or sumthin.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. 99% of the consumers in this turbo's market will NOT be running a ported head and sheet metal intake.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
I agree. 99% of the consumers in this turbo's market will NOT be running a ported head and sheet metal intake.
I agree... I plan on just having cams on top of what I have now when I get this... One question I have is: will it work without a tune and with what mods I have right now, or is it going to be like cams and pretty much require a tune? And what supporting mods do you recommend, would it work and gain power for just a totally stock car? j/w
Old Aug 1, 2005, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I have pricing figured out. Talked with the shop today.

IF you send in your good stock turbo we will upgrade it to the 20G for $800. This price includes have to change the back plate, cutting the compressor housing, re-balancing, clipping the turbine wheel and the compressor wheel.

IF you want to upgrade YOUR turbo and add a new 10.5 turbine housing we can do that for $1100. This will be the new '05 style turbo 10.5 with the single wastegate puck.

The turbo brand new using the titanium/aluminide wheel will be $1500.

That's it. The prices may end up a little bit lower before we actually start shipping them, we have a few more things to look into and look at that could save some money.

Thanks guys,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

BTW, I didn't get a chance to check out the car for boost leaks today.
I'm going to send you a TiAL turbo, a TD05HRA-16G6-9.8t with a 10.5 housing swapped onto it for you to convert.. Now that I know exactly what you need for a core.. Let me know when I should send it to you.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 04:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
I'd like to see this turbo tested on a stock motor car with cams and alky injection. The cold air intake, AEM, and stage 3 ported head as well as built block are not as common among people looking for 20g's. For now 11.3 is super impressive, but Dave, get this thing on a stock motor car with a relfash, or test with an safc or sumthin.
You'll get to see both locally... I am starting my testing on exactly what your looking for, even stock cams.. Then I'll probably get the intake ported and stage 3 head and 280 cams to test as a followup (cash permitting)
Old Aug 1, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nolimits,

I am not doing any more testing for just the purpose of testing to be honest. When a customer comes in and wants this turbo I will do some testing back to back but until then, it's not going to happen.

GSUJEFF,

I do NOT have a sheetmetal intake on my car, our red car or our new black drag EVO. It is a hand ported stock intake.

UTEVO,

The parts I recommend and the tuning questions were answered already, take a look back a few posts.

I want to shed some light on a couple of things. With the stock turbo on the car I did testing before and after the shortblock and the cylinder head swaps on the car. There were NO power gains to speak of anywhere. I actually made the 393 whp on the stock engine and head, then after the testing was "over" in the dyno thread I had started here, we swapped the engine/head and dyno'd again. No gains. A shortblock, unless you drastically changed something will have no effect on power, durability yet, power no. The head, I really expected to see gains with, my guess on this is with the stock turbo being so used up there was just no additional airflow to be had.

The large change in AFR's with this turbo tell me it is flowing quite a bit more air, the steady boost compared to the 30 psi spikes falling to 20 psi at redline tell me the same thing. In the case of my car nothing changed except for the compressor wheel, the clipped turbine and 10.5 housing I was already running.

Malibu,

Let me find the problem with the boost in my car and as soon as I post what it was you can feel free to send the turbo.

Thanks,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd seriously consider this kit Dave! i'd love to see it run 10's first before I consider ordering.

of course for the future, I will do AEM EMS, HKS 272/272, cam gears, fuel pump, alky injection, headstuds, and this 20G turbo... hopefully I can be knocking on 10's as well at 26-27 PSI boost..

Quick Reply: 20G turbo upgrade from Buschur Racing.