Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT clutch with flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spec'd
Ok, so the Fidenza has a friction plate that is replaceable.

What is the cost for that replaceable friction plate ?

and ...

Will it be a problem or hassle to obtain a discreet part like friction
plate as opposed to just buying another flywheel.
The friction plate is about $80 to replace. You can generally resurface a Pro Street flywheel for less.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

finally got my clutch out.....my flywheel was burnt beyond belief...

i called a shop and they convinced me that the flywheel could not be cut. So i believed thema nd ordered the ACT streetlite flywheel. I figure if ACTman is right and "they" don't know what they're talking about, then i got screwed, but not really b/c im gettin a much better flywheel. I paid $350 shipped, NEXT DAY mail. Price of the clutch i paid was $260.

I dind't check around for prices, i heard this flywheel is new to teh market, i've had my car apart for a week and i just want to get this DONE !!!

prices so far:

Clutch: act hd 6 puck w/ pp = $450
Release bearing form mitsu( b/c my kit dind't come with one)= $35
Act streetlite 600205 flywheel = $350 shipped
Labor= ZERO i work at a garage.

Anticipation, priceless !
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just paid 260 shipped fo rthe act flywheel yesterday
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive done the combintation of ACT clutch/ new lightweight flywheel and ACT clutch/resurfaced stock flywheel.

When the stock clutch went out at 25000 miles, I opted for the ACT clutch/new lightweight flywheel combo from prostreetonline. About 2200 miles later when the ACT CLUTCH TOOK A **** (which i was very pissed about and still am) I just had the factory flywheel resurfaced when I purchased another ACT clutch. This clutch has been holding well for some time now and show no signs of slipping yet.
BTW, i think ACT should have send me some return postage so I can mail them their junk pressure plate that cost me $500... its taking up room in the garage. The new one is great though.

But anyway... I didn't really notice any noticable gains from the lightweight flywheel... i didn't notice really any quicker spool up drivablity issues either way.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
BTW, i think ACT should have send me some return postage so I can mail them their junk pressure plate that cost me $500... its taking up room in the garage. The new one is great though.
I am sorry for your bad experience with our clutch. I don't know how you determined the pressure plate is "junk" other than it took at sh@* on you. If the clutch was slipping, then it is pretty simple. If the pressure plate has clamp load and has the right working range then it should hold power.

We don't pay for return shipping, but if you want to email me some digital photos prior to shipping parts, I would be glad to take a look at them. As with just about any manufacturer, we have to see and test the parts to determine what went wrong. Just about any clutch can be destroyed in a matter of a couple minutes, so we have to see the parts before we promise anything in return. Sometimes even digital photos tell the story. There are many things that can go wrong so trying to draw conclusions without seeing or testing the parts is impossible. My email is dstarksen@advancedclutch.com. I would be glad to help.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

i just put in the act hd plate with 6puck disc and the act streetlite flywheel and i have a ? ...

When i fire it up, the flywheel rubs teh starter. Everything was put back fine, am i going to have to and should i space the starter with washers? is this suposed to happen? Also, in higher rpm's, like between 3800-5000sh, when i release throttle and the idle comes down, it sounds liek something rattleing. I applied 25ft/lb of torque on the flywheel bolts with loctite, even tho according to alldata it only called for 3ft/lb.

Any advice?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

igot cci lightflywheel.. notice quick reponse
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DjRiice
i just put in the act hd plate with 6puck disc and the act streetlite flywheel and i have a ? ...

When i fire it up, the flywheel rubs teh starter. Everything was put back fine, am i going to have to and should i space the starter with washers? is this suposed to happen? Also, in higher rpm's, like between 3800-5000sh, when i release throttle and the idle comes down, it sounds liek something rattleing. I applied 25ft/lb of torque on the flywheel bolts with loctite, even tho according to alldata it only called for 3ft/lb.

Any advice?
Obviously something isn't right. The flywheels are brand new to the market, so I don't have a lot of feedback on them yet. I will definitely double check all the dimensions on the design compared to the stock one to be sure it's correct. I am not sure exactly what you mean by rubbing the starter. The decel rattle is probably gear rattle which is typical of lighter flywheels and solid center discs. The torque numbers of 25 or 3 ftlbs doesn't make sense to me. Flywheel bolts should be a lot more than that. I will follow up later when I have more time.

Last edited by ACTman; Jan 7, 2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

im gonna check the starter monday. The 25 ft/lb seemed "OK" to me with the locktite.

Other than that, i stalled the car 3-4 times bc the engagement is so quik. The set up is beautiful and i LOVE it ! Also thanks to ACT for being able to next day mail me both. ! ! ! shipping was pricey but worth it ! ! !

Last edited by DjRiice; Jan 8, 2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

I thinking on gettign the ACT clutch with fidanza flywheel, so i keep u guys posted on how that goes

Is it true that with a lighter flywheel like Fidanza u cant shift beyond 7,000 RPM's?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have act+fidenza. I love this combo. No that is not true at all. After I got my car flash by Al. I shift around 7500 rpm with no problems at all. No lock out,...
Old Jan 8, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
I have act+fidenza. I love this combo. No that is not true at all. After I got my car flash by Al. I shift around 7500 rpm with no problems at all. No lock out,...
Thanks

U can get lock out after 7500?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

im gonna check the starter monday. The 25 ft/lb seemed "OK" to me with the locktite.

Other than that, i stalled the car 3-4 times bc the engagement is so quik. The set up is beautiful and i LOVE it ! Also thanks to ACT for being able to next day mail me both. ! ! ! shipping was pricey but worth it ! ! !
Back to the starter rubbing: I don't know what the problem is other than possibly a loose flywheel. I pulled out a flywheel from the same batch and it measured perfect. I compared it to a new stock flywheel just to be sure it wasn't a problem with our drawings or something. If you are saying that you torqued the 12mm flywheel bolts to 25 ftlbs, that is definitely not enough, and locktite may keep them from coming loose, but it doesn't help to hold the flywheel down. I think stock torque is about 80 ftlbs. For performance/racing applications I would recommend probably around 100 ftlbs. That might be your noise problem too. That is a scary thought since it can cost you a crankshaft and flywheel if it is not tight.

BTW, the clutch bolts should be tightened to around 25 ftlbs. Actually we recommend 30 for racing (if you are using brand new 10.9 grade bolts).
Old Jan 9, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

all fixed. The starter was too far from the flywheel. i burnt off the "metal plate" so the starter would fit appropriatly.

btw i'm very worried. I applied 25lb/ft on the flywheel bolts with an extra ummf so more than likely its around 40-50lb/ft with lock tite. I DO not feel like completely removing the tranny and clutch just to tighten the flywheel bolts, so fingers crossed they will be fine.

Thank you ACTman for all your help. Another reaosn why ACT is my #1 choice.

p.s I'm goin to do a full inspection of all bolts that could be loose causing the rattle, IF i cannot find it, i may just have to tear it apart and in fact tighten the bolts.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
all fixed. The starter was too far from the flywheel. i burnt off the "metal plate" so the starter would fit appropriatly.

btw i'm very worried. I applied 25lb/ft on the flywheel bolts with an extra ummf so more than likely its around 40-50lb/ft with lock tite. I DO not feel like completely removing the tranny and clutch just to tighten the flywheel bolts, so fingers crossed they will be fine.

Thank you ACTman for all your help. Another reaosn why ACT is my #1 choice.

p.s I'm goin to do a full inspection of all bolts that could be loose causing the rattle, IF i cannot find it, i may just have to tear it apart and in fact tighten the bolts.

Dude, I feel really sorry to say this because i know how much of a pain it is to pull a clutch on these cars is, but you really really really should take it back apart and retighten the flywheel bolts. 92ft/lbs is the spec. They are supposed to be pretty damn tight. I'd hate to think of the much more expensive damage you could/have been causing because you're trying to avoid an annoying job.

Quick Reply: ACT clutch with flywheel?