Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT clutch with flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ACT clutch with flywheel?

How many of you used the stock flywheel or purchased a after market one? Just trying to get some opinions on those that run with or without it. Is it it worth upgrading to a better flywheel or the stock one is good enough.

Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek888
How many of you used the stock flywheel or purchased a after market one? Just trying to get some opinions on those that run with or without it. Is it it worth upgrading to a better flywheel or the stock one is good enough.
I used a NEW, stock flywheel. I didn't want a lightened one for daily driving, but my stock one could not be resurfaced. This may turn out to be a bad thing, because when my stock clutch went out, it wasn't the clutch disk that was gone...it was the flywheel and pressure plate. It's possible that my NEW stock flywheel will go out, also, now that I'll be hittin it hard with the ACT.

We'll see what happens...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was an article in either sport compact or Super Street I can't remember which, but it said that the stock flywheel does not dissapate the heat very well, which leads to premature clutch failure. When I upgraded I went with an ACT street disc and a fidanza flywheel, and I am very happy with that combination!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

So actually ACT clutches are not around 450, more like 800 with a flywheel No point of using a stock flywheel then if its going to wear out so quick anyways, the labor aint cheap on clutch installs.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:06 AM
slt
Evolved Member

The ACT shouldn't slip as much as the stock clutch, so it should be more friendly to the stock flywheel. When I installed mine, I just went with a new OEM flywheel.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smoothmarine187
There was an article in either sport compact or Super Street I can't remember which, but it said that the stock flywheel does not dissapate the heat very well, which leads to premature clutch failure. When I upgraded I went with an ACT street disc and a fidanza flywheel, and I am very happy with that combination!
I believe you are refering to the article in Turbo. Its the May 2005 issue (page 58) if anyone wants to read it.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:43 AM

I just put in an ACT clutch and Prostreet flywheel. I went with the flywheel because since the clutch was coming out, might as well change the flywheel so I don't have to pull the clutch twice. But I've been getting a CEL and I think its because of the lighter flywheel, I have to confirm that though.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by danalo
But I've been getting a CEL and I think its because of the lighter flywheel, I have to confirm that though.
No. L/W flywheels do not throw a CEL.

And since the cost of a new l/w flywheel is so cheap why not upgrade all at once.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:42 PM

New fw

Originally Posted by Taimur

And since the cost of a new l/w flywheel is so cheap why not upgrade all at once.
ACT told me on this board that resurfacing the stock fw is sometimes a good option - a lot cheaper too. Check old posts.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
...This may turn out to be a bad thing, because when my stock clutch went out, it wasn't the clutch disk that was gone...it was the flywheel and pressure plate...
??? How you destroy a pressure plate and flywheel and not hurt the disc?? I would like to see what you are talking about.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 06:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeh, i would like to hear this explanation too.

some sorta magic.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 06:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Taimur

actually they can cause a CEL - have seen it before

there really is no reason why you could not resurface the stock, unless it was so mangled that replacement is the only option. Even then, the new stock one from Mitsubishi is not overly expensive

Adam
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ACTman
??? How you destroy a pressure plate and flywheel and not hurt the disc?? I would like to see what you are talking about.
They threw all the parts away before I could take pics and show everyone. The flywheel and PP were both mirrors basically, but the disk had about half it's thickness remaining. IT was scarred, but not worn down all the way...
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

get an aftermarket fly
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
They threw all the parts away before I could take pics and show everyone. The flywheel and PP were both mirrors basically, but the disk had about half it's thickness remaining. IT was scarred, but not worn down all the way...
The surfaces should look mirror smooth. Keep in mind that on the EVO the pressure plate bottoms out on the rivets before the disc is totally worn out. All of a sudden the clutch slips like mad but you take it apart and the clutch doesn't look that bad.

Quick Reply: ACT clutch with flywheel?