Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TRE tranny

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Actually you won't notice the difference with a front LSD in daily driving and you'll hardly notice a difference on the track. The only condition that you will notice or not notice the difference your front LSD will make, is under rainy, wet, snow, dirt, gravel conditions ... your car will be much more stable while cornering, braking and accelerating than an EVO without a front LSD ...

PS: the first post made me laugh
I certainly notice it when accelerating hard around turns while autocrossing. It makes a BIG difference..
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys you are right I just got done talking to Jon and he confermed that I got the limited slip only..... sorry i did not fully understand what Jon said when I ordered the TC Because I was going to get the forged spider gears but then we talked about the front limited slip.....which I got....

Jon stands behind his parts.I just got a little scared when this guy posted this thread because $2,600.00 is alot of moneny to alot of people...
I am very happy whith TRE. AL told me to go to shepprd but for some reason I went to TRE and I will go back again I plain on getting my tranny from TRE at tax season...

I only drove my car a few times and raced it once since it was done..

Jon sorry for my first post I jumped the gun......You da man

Last edited by PHILLY EVO; Jul 26, 2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Actually you won't notice the difference with a front LSD in daily driving and you'll hardly notice a difference on the track. The only condition that you will notice or not notice the difference your front LSD will make, is under rainy, wet, snow, dirt, gravel conditions ... your car will be much more stable while cornering, braking and accelerating than an EVO without a front LSD ...

PS: the first post made me laugh
You're kidding right? Have you driven an EVO w/ an open front diff and then an LSD back to back? It is a night and day difference that can be noticed in everyday driving and at the track. I guess it depends on your driving style though. To me, the front LSD was one of the best mods I've ever done to my evo. It turned it into a whole different animal.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
Hey guys you are right I just got done talking to Jon and he confermed that I got the limited slip only..... sorry i did not fully understand what Jon said when I ordered the TC Because I was going to get the forged spider gears but then we talked about the front limited slip.....which I got....

Jon stands behind his parts.I just got a little scared when this guy posted this thread because $2,600.00 is alot of moneny to alot of people...
I am very happy whith TRE. L told me to go to shepprd but for some reason I went to TRE and I will go back again I plain on getting my tranny from TRE at tax season...

Jon sorry for my first post I jumped the gun......You da man
I'm glad that you got everything cleared up.

Read this post by Superhatch, who is the man BTW. Its very useful...

Link
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
I bought TRE tranny and decided to oped it for check
and what do you think i found out?

ALL PARTS INSIDE ARE STOCK!ALL!
So now explaine me what is the difference between TRE and stock tranny????
For what i payed 2700$?

On stock tranny i could`t shift at 8000RPM because sinhros did`t allow
As i understand with TRE tranny will be the same problem...
Help with advices if somebody knows the difference?

Thanks
You know, the guy who posted this thread could have the language barrier as an excuse for not understanding what he purchased, but the rest of you jacktards who have never opened a transmission and have no clue what you're talking about that are posting suprised and angry reactions need to just stop posting. That's the nicest way I can put it. Tama_mog's transmission shifts amazingly well bouncing off the 9k rev limiter. Oh noes!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
You're kidding right? Have you driven an EVO w/ an open front diff and then an LSD back to back? It is a night and day difference that can be noticed in everyday driving and at the track. I guess it depends on your driving style though. To me, the front LSD was one of the best mods I've ever done to my evo. It turned it into a whole different animal.
I have 2 EVOs sitting in my garage, an 03 and an 05 MR ... I think I can safely say I know what I'm talking about .... the best handling mod you can make on any car is tires ....
Old Jul 26, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
I bought TRE tranny and decided to oped it for check
and what do you think i found out?

ALL PARTS INSIDE ARE STOCK!ALL!
So now explaine me what is the difference between TRE and stock tranny????
For what i payed 2700$?

On stock tranny i could`t shift at 8000RPM because sinhros did`t allow
As i understand with TRE tranny will be the same problem...
Help with advices if somebody knows the difference?

Thanks
I'm not sure why your transmission cost $2700 but we didn't sell any transmissions to Ukraine so are you sure you even have a TRE transmission?

Before you type another post please understand what you are getting for $2650.

* You are getting a factory new EVO-8 transmission. This is all brand new.

* We are taking the whole transmission apart and doing the following work:

* We are measuring the gears, checking wear patterns to make sure that the gears are meshing on the diametric pitch circle, across the whole width of the gear. This is done to insure that what you are getting from Mitsubishi and from us doesn't have any problems that will cause excessive gear noise and ultimately reduce the torque capacity of the transmission.

*We are also modifying the synchros, engagement teeth of both the hub & sleeve and the gears. This improves shift quality at both low & high rpms.

*We are detailing the gear teeth, radiusing the edges and roots and rounding the tips. This greatly reduces stress risers left by the manufacturer and this means it'll handle greater torque before the gear teeth fail.

*We are also correcting gear stack height problems, setting the shift forks in the correct position and not only double roll pinning the shift forks but also wire locking them into place.

This is not just some transmission stamped with an invoice number.

Now an untrained eye will not notice this work so I can understand your cause of concern but I assure you that the work has been done.

As for why you can't get it to shift that is something that you will have to look into because the transmission should shift above 10,000rpm without any problems so please don't blame us for your shifting problems. There are several people here on this list that can vouch for how well their TRE transmission shifts.

Things to check:

Make certain your clutch is in proper working order; that the clutch disc is not bent or out of true, (because whoever installed the transmission let the transmission hang by the input shaft)...this is more common that one thinks.

Have the hydraulic fluid completely flushed & bled free of any air in the system.

If your clutch pedal is properly adjusted, if your shifter cables aren't damaged and properly fastened, if you don't have some POS short throw shifter in the car you shouldn't have any problems shifting the transmission above 10,000rpm.

If you have the correct oil in the transmission (we recommend any Synchromesh or Synchroshift type oil, use BG #2 for road racing) and you can raise the clutch pedal off the floor at least 3 inches (75mm) before the car even thinks about moving than you shouldn't have a problem with shifting the transmission.

*** TRE CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT TIP *** Have the car on hoist while checking the clutch threshold. Clutch threshold is the term for when the clutch just grabs enough to make the wheels on the car turn. Having the car in the air is the reality check for clutch threshold and weather or not your clutch is dragging on the flywheel.

Yaroslav, if that's your real name..... Isn’t that also the name of the legendary Grand Prince of Kiev, "Yaroslav The Wise?????????

Just a word to all of you fellow turbocharged AWD crazies on the list, we shop owners and employees take pride in our work, the parts we make & sell and the services we offer to you, our valued customers. If you have a problem with a shop please contact the shop about it before you pounce the forum because we all aim to please and want to have happy customers.

Thanks for the space

Jon Ripple
www.teamrip.com

http://www.teamrip.com/Evolution.html

Last edited by GEARS; Jul 27, 2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
don't tell me that I bought a transfer case with forged spider gears and a limited slip front diff. with the limited slip........I spent $2,600.00
Chris, you got a new transfer case with the Mitsu-Ralliart limited slip front diff. You can only get it 1 or 2 ways; forged spider gears or limited slip. Both come with the heavy duty trash magnet, detailed gears and wear pattern inspected and corrected.

Jon@TRE
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
Well, first, there's no way you bought a transfer case with both the forged spider gears AND the limited slip, it's one or the other buddy. And if the parts were installed correctly, you shouldn't tell a difference. If it's forged spider gears, you'll never see a difference except that they won't break. If you got the limited slip, you still won't see a difference in day to day driving. Go to the track, hammer it in some corners, and then you will.

- Steve
I have the RS front limited slip from Jon...works INSANE. Cornering at the track is a marked improvement. I would definitely follow everyone's advice and re-read the website. And get the T-case from them to boot. Worth every penny.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Jon,

How much will it be if I drive the car over and leave it for you guys to work on it? Or this is not an option?

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HMSevo8
I have the RS front limited slip from Jon...works INSANE. Cornering at the track is a marked improvement. I would definitely follow everyone's advice and re-read the website. And get the T-case from them to boot. Worth every penny.
Damn straight

The front limited slip works like they were designed to, keeping the front end of the car on track where you have the steering wheel pointed. Check them out!

Jon@TRE
http://www.teamrip.com/SPECIALS.htm

Last edited by GEARS; Jul 27, 2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Knower
You know, the guy who posted this thread could have the language barrier as an excuse for not understanding what he purchased, but the rest of you jacktards who have never opened a transmission and have no clue what you're talking about that are posting suprised and angry reactions need to just stop posting. That's the nicest way I can put it. Tama_mog's transmission shifts amazingly well bouncing off the 9k rev limiter. Oh noes!
Thank Knower

Jon@TRE
Old Jul 26, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
Jon,

How much will it be if I drive the car over and leave it for you guys to work on it? Or this is not an option?

Thanks.
Hey GOKOU

We have a deal worked out with a Mitsubishi service department in the area. Their price is a little steep if you ask me, $675 to R&R your transmission but the guys are experienced and the car will stay safe, inside on a hoist. We can turn something like this around within a day or two.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Jon@TRE

Last edited by GEARS; Jul 27, 2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Hey GOKOU

We have a deal worked out with a Mitsubishi service department in the area. Their price is a little step if you ask me, $675 to R&R your transmission but the guys are good and the car will stay in side on a hoist. We can turn something like this around within a day or two.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Jon@TRE

$675 Considering the drive/gas/mileage It might be better off letting a known shop take it off and send it in instead.

THanks for the info.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

All transmissions include the modified double synchro 2nd gear, improved HD 3rd/4th gear synchros, Center diff bearing upgrade, shot peened gears and improved oiling passages. All gears are wet-magnafluxed and installed inside a nice glass beaded transmission case and have a 120 day warranty.

Jon what does it mean?
Just believe what you wrote.......
If you mentioned i just asked you