Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing's new EVO, runs a couple of 10's.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Buschur Racing's new EVO, runs a couple of 10's.

Hello EVO maniacs!

FINALLY! I can do what I like to do and get the entire truth out! It has been killing me!

A month or so ago we made a post "Custom work going on at Buschur Racing" or something close to that. Showed pictures of a black EVO we bought wrecked and the fuel cell that was going in it etc. I said it was for a customer etc. Well that wasn't entirely true. We did buy a wrecked EVO and it was being built by Buschur Racing for a customer but the customers were myself and my brother. I honestly didn't want the added stress of being asked about the car, how it was coming, when were we going to run it, how the testing was coming etc. We wanted to just finish the car, test it and when the results were getting decent THEN let you guys know about it.

I am here to let you know about it

2003 EVO. Bought totalled with 18,000 miles on it. First day we got it we pulled the engine and trans that were broken in half out of it. A few days later we worked on it for another day and installed the complete fuel cell and fuel lines in the car. The car sat around for awhile and then we shipped it to Rapid Autobody (they do all my personal cars) to get the frame straightened, new fender, fix some dents in the doors, weld in a new core support, paint the new fascia and get the motor mounts to line up again. Car came back and was better than we expected, as usual with them The car sat, real customers had to come first. Next time we worked on it the engine, clutch, transmission were bolted in and it then sat again. My brother jumped my butt for it just sitting. We started ripping the interior apart around 3 pm one day and around 8 pm had it all put back together, AEM EMS, ignition and wiring finished. Again, car sat for a week. Finally got my dead *** on it again and put in the radiator, turbo, built the 02 housing, figured out some accessory pulleys (quite ingenious if I do say so) and buttoned it up. My point to this is this car was literally built in a matter of about 5 days not counting the body work that was done, it was at the body shop for about 2 weeks.

The car has our complete Stages 1-4 on it with the addition or substitution of the following parts:

1650 cc injectors (instead of the 680's that come with the kit)
Our new race FMIC kit (instead of our standard or deluxe kit)
AEM EMS (instead of AFC or reflash)
Fuel cell and Aeromotive pump w/-8 lines to and from engine (instead of intank pump)

Also added to the car is our BRAND NEW GT35R turbo kit, hand ported stock intake manifold and our 65mm throttle body.

Cooling, custom small radiator, that we offer on our site. Single Spal fan.

Engine is our Stage 3 stroker, 2.25 liter.

Cylinder head is our Stage 3 also.

Clutch, Exedy Triple Disc, ceramic. THANK YOU EXEDY!
Suspension is the lowest priced coil over we could find, Tein's.

Wheels are Centerline 15x8's.

Tires are Hoosier Quick Time 26"x 9.5"x 15", DOT legal.

Brakes, stock rears with stock pads. Fronts are 2g DSM dual pistons, had to change them to fit the smaller wheels. I think at this point the stock caliper with a Performance Friction rotor (with the aluminum hat) would be lighter than these.

What we choose to keep the same or stock. Body is completely stock, interior is "complete". No stock seat belts, has 5 point harnesses. Look in the car and it looks like any other EVO, (1) aftermarket gauge, the boost gauge. Stock stereo that still works. Stock heavy sunroof that still works. Power windows and locks (rear windows not power). All the carpet, door panels etc are in the car. We put on a carbon hood as the stock one was smashed, carbon fiber trunk lid as it is 10 pounds lighter than stock. Stock suspension other than the Tein's. Stock ported intake and throttle body. Our standard 2.5" intercooler plumbing.

The car came out really well. I wish we could have started with a cleaner car, this one has some rust on the ABS and other parts, not the body, the original owner from what we could see must have been either rich enough to not care about a new $30,000 car, given the car or just dumb.

All the original glass is in the car. Entire complete wiring harness is still in it, all the lights etc. function correctly. ABS is still on the car (for now, going to pull it and put it on my RS for future competitions like the C&D event).

My one regret is cutting the hell out of the front fascia to fit in the first race FMIC I built. They fit now without any cutting for the plumbing. I may change it before the shootout in a few weeks.

Anyway. The car still hasn't had the title switched over from when we bought it. So no license plates. We sold our dyno so no way to test it.

We built it and loaded a map in it I thought would work. Snuck out to the track last Friday (Dragway 42). We made a bunch of passes and all of them sucked. This is why I wanted to build it without the stress of people waiting for results. The best we managed was an 11.7 at 124 mph. Car sounded like crap and I couldn't figure it out. My brother is blaming me and the EMS, I am blaming him and things he did. We leave the shop completely disgusted.

Saturday I am at the shop running the front end loader building our new parking lot. He stops by and says he knows what the problem is. We do some testing on the road with his red EVO, the one that went 10.9 at 134 on Advans. No success with the idea. Next day we decide to meet (Sunday) and brain storm the car. Well in the peace and quiet of the shop on a Sunday we figured it out, or so we thought.

We make some changes to the black car after experimenting on his red car.

Head out to the track tonight (Tuesday). POURED to rain the entire way there, we were going to turn around and 1 mile from the track it quite raining. First pass is just like the rest of them we made on Friday, horrible. We try another ignition box, same thing. 3rd pass we try new plugs and more fuel, same thing. The car has me so depressed at this point I am just ready to quite and go work at Jiffy Lube sweeping floors. My brother has given up. He then asks what map is in the car. I tell him same map that is in your red car. He says, "Are you sure, I thought the versions were different?" I tell him, yes, yours is V1.03, this car is V1.11, same map though. He says, why not switch it and see what happens. I figure what the hell. Changed versions, load up his V1.03 map. Car starts, clouds are getting extremely dark, it is going to rain any minute. It is 96 degrees at this point in time and HUMID.

Daniel is done launching the car hard for nothing. He leaves the line with a 2.75 sixty foot time. I thought it was broke. Then I hear this beautiful sound of one pissed off EVO coming at me! Car hauls *** by me and runs a 13.28 at 119.06 mph.

I run to meet him, jump in the car and look at the log on the way back to the lanes, the car has 15 psi of boost. 6 minutes later they pull the car for another pass and I turn up the boost. He runs a 1.69 sixty foot time, 10.94 at 128.25. He flies back around, now everyone is leaving because a monsoon is coming. Pulls back up, 4 minutes later makes another pass, 1.59 sixty foot, car is completely crossed up in 1st gear, makes the 2nd gear shift, car looks and sounds good, misses 4th gear and runs a 10.79 at 129.74 mph. Flies back around, we adjust the boost, I add 1 click of fuel to the map and he is out for another run 5 minutes after the last. We are hot lapping this thing before the rain comes!! haha Again car is all crossed up and spinning in 1st gear, almost 45 degrees sideways, 1.62 sixty foot time, misses 4th gear, runs a 10.64 at 134.81 mph!

I run to the trailer, getting too old and fat for that BTW, and just as he pulls up the sky opens up and it starts POURING rain.

It tooks us two trips to the track and about 14 passes to figure out what was wrong but once it was fixed the car came around. I still am not sure what was corrupted in the map I had but I am going to try and search for it.

WE CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK OUT WITH THIS CAR!!

Racing seems like 100's of lows most of the time with only a few highs thrown in, just enough to keep you wanting to spend you last paycheck and last minute of the day working on cars. This was one of those days that will keep us going for a few more

I have to thank the guys at the shop that helped work on this and worked hard enough during the week to help pay for yet another race car project. Have to thank my brother Daniel his hard work and driving. Also have to thank Exedy for helping us out with the clutch, great product.

Oh yeah. The new turbo. We are running the new turbine housing on this GT35R I have been waiting to release with out kits. I said I wouldn't sell them until it proved itself. I wanted to see 10.5's or 135 mph at 30 psi of boost before I thought it was worthy of using/selling. Well I say it is worthy!

I will post pictures of the kit on the car and new pricing very soon. You guys are going to freak out when you see how nice this set-up is. Also going to freak out when you see the new lower pricing!

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 27, 2005, 02:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that was the coolest story I read this summer.

lol quit and work at the Jiffy Lube sweeping the floor.

Sick times.

PUT up Some Pix!

p.s. man, you're up late. lol
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not GT40R??
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the sick times. Could you post up the new prices for this kit?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

Great story !!! Glad you found the problem..Awesome track times!!!

Now go work on that 20G
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

lol.. what time did you post this?? Damn... I would have been mispelling words left and right.. Anywho, Congrats on your perseverance...your willingness not to give up.. To you and your brother.. I personally dont know you but I have heard nothing but positive feedback and just after reading this story, I see why the respect is given , where it's Deserved!!! Way to go !!!

Ps: just like the rest of the guys.. I too would love to sese pics/pricing on this bad boy

Last edited by awdjunkies; Jul 27, 2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

nice
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

when is the shootout and where?

Great numbers!
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

The shootout is August 14th. I'll be there. Number 7 for me.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 03:56 AM

Once again the guys at Buscher are raising the bar. Can't wait to get back home and start building up the MR.

Dave-
Looks like I am moving back to Ohio, so I will definitely be in for some upgrading soon. Congrats on the car, great story.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

David - How does your version of the 35R spool up with the 2.25 stroker kit. In your opinion, how does it compare to drivability to the RS?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
awesome
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:37 AM

That's awesome, congratulations!!!! How soon till you guys get that new dyno in????
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevine326
awesome
Yes I would love to hear about this setup as well, I want the 35R and stroker as well.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I love opening a thread from Buschur and seeing the long stories with all the proper paragraphs and whatnot. FIlled with information and humor, they're simply priceless. Sick numbers, Dave!

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing's new EVO, runs a couple of 10's.