Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So this is Launch control/NLS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile So this is Launch control/NLS?

Hi guys,
I had an idea this morning on how to incorporate a launch control and no-lift shift feature in the XEDE. With the new SMART system, one can pretty much design any table he wants with whatever X, Y and Z variable he can think off. So this time, we fed the factory clutch switch into an unused XEDE input. Then we set up a simple table with the Clutch switch as the Y axis, RPM as the X axis and MAFout as the Z variable. With the Launch Control/NLS limit set to 6600RPM, the table looks like this:

And with a simple Stg 1+ running 91oct, a blast quick blast up 1st through 4th gears looks like this:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/movie/boosto.mov

This was with me driving Dustin's car so I shifted gently with full clutch disengagements between gears. Even still, boost easily built 7psi right before the easy, no-chirp launch and never dropped below 9psi between shifts and hit hard and instantly once the clutch was let out again.

With our DSM drag racing buddy slamming through the gears earlier today, the boost would only fall to 17psi between shifts!

The secondary rev limit is triggered by the first clutch switch (the one that is tripped once the clutch is depressed an inch or so-- not the one that requires the clutch pedal to be pushed in all the way). So, in effect, you can activate the limiter by just barely touching the pedal. Also nice is that with the limiter set to 6500rpm, you can drive around all day like that and never notice it during normal driving (rev matching, double-clutching, heel/toe, etc,.) It's just there when you want to throw down

This user-settable feature is now available in all v3 XEDE maps, SMART or otherwise.

Next up: Anti Lag Vrooom... BANG BANG BANG BANG

Cheers,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jul 29, 2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

So this is basically cutting fuel at the set RPM range then correct?

Also, i assume an XFlash is necessary to get past the factory limit to begin with?

[EDIT] OR, do you disconnect the clutch switch from the ECU and plug it into the XEDE instead? [/EDIT]
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sackett
So this is basically cutting fuel at the set RPM range then correct?

Also, i assume an XFlash is necessary to get past the factory limit to begin with?
An XFlash (or XEDEFlash) isn't necessary. But with the stock ECU code, the boost limit will just be lower (around 23psi) and the rev limit will be 7600rpm (instead of 7850rpm).

Shiv
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sackett
[EDIT] OR, do you disconnect the clutch switch from the ECU and plug it into the XEDE instead? [/EDIT]
Yes. This is correct. This means that those with 05 EVOs lose their annoying low 5000rpm rev limit and get full control of it though the XEDE.

Shiv
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:37 PM

Shiv my Desi bro you are a damn genious!!!!! I must buy you some masala chai and samosas!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

You completely disconnect the clutch switch from the ECU? Will that make it so you can start the car w/o the clutch in?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ninj0x
You completely disconnect the clutch switch from the ECU? Will that make it so you can start the car w/o the clutch in?
Nope. That feature uses the other clutch switch (the one that is triggered when you push the clutch ALL the way in).

Shiv
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

... So why is there a 1st clutch switch? What purpose does it serve?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

On the 05s it triggers a secondary rev limiter. However on the 03, it does not seem to serve any purpose what so ever.

... So why is there a 1st clutch switch? What purpose does it serve?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
On the 05s it triggers a secondary rev limiter. However on the 03, it does not seem to serve any purpose what so ever.
But there could be somthing? Seems odd that that would be there to do nothing.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

It's there to activate the secondary rev limit. And perhaps for anti-lag control. Both of which features are dormant (but still activate-able) in the stock 03-04 ECU. It wasn't until the 05 was the rev limit feature activated in the ecu code. There may come a time that both of these features will be available through ECU reflashing. But our goal is to give these duties to the XEDE so they can be edit-able by the user, depending on their set-up/needs.

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jul 29, 2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Things like this sometimes make me want to switch to XEDE from AEM. Shiv they day you create a methanol injection kit that is controlled fully by XEDE - i will probably switch engine managment systems. I mean a kit that when methanol level is low or failing - the XEDE will automatically remove boost/fuel/timing and run soley off pump gas. Your recent progress is really impressive and really makes me think I am using the wrong EMS.

Krunal

btw.... do u speak hindi?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by platinumspecv
Things like this sometimes make me want to switch to XEDE from AEM. Shiv they day you create a methanol injection kit that is controlled fully by XEDE - i will probably switch engine managment systems. I mean a kit that when methanol level is low or failing - the XEDE will automatically remove boost/fuel/timing and run soley off pump gas. Your recent progress is really impressive and really makes me think I am using the wrong EMS.

Krunal

btw.... do u speak hindi?
Hi Krunal,

The SMART XEDE can already control Methanol through a dedicated Methanol control table. It simply generates a user-definable 0-5v signal (as a function of MAF and RPM) and feeds it into the methanol pump controller. Then one can set-up another table (we call it "Lean Protect") that constantly monitors AFR under boost through the wideband input. If, above say 15psi, AFR ever goes leaner than say 13:1 (which is what happens when methanol runs out/jet clogse/etc,.), you can induce a fuel cut, boost cut, or a massive ignition retard (or any combination of the above). The SMART system really allows us to design any tuning template (up to 12 tables in all) to suit whatever need one may have. To be honest, stand alones are crude and inflexible by comparison. IMHO, of course.

It is possible to step the low current 0-5v methanol output to drive the pump directly instead of going through the pump controller box. But that would take a bit of time and involve the cost of an extra box. Someday, we might do it. But for now, it's just as easy to integrate XEDE control the Aklycontroller or Boost Cooler pump controller.

As for Hindi, I used to speak it when I first came to the US. But 25+ years of living in TX, NJ and CA have squeezed the last bit of fluency out of me

shiv
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

The shop manual says it is there to reduce emissions during shifts. Now it is your guess what that means in practice.

Old Jul 30, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

2 questions.....will the launch controls be saved on individual maps? Meaning you could have one map set with launch controls and the other without....or at least have it set to the point that it would feel like it wasn;t activated?

Also I just downloaded the newest version Xmap 3 off the vishnu site and no longer see the boost control features anymore...did i mess something up?

Quick Reply: So this is Launch control/NLS?