Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur tuned 35R w/methanol...and a jack russell

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I gapped down my plugs when I was getting ignition problems, and it worked for me gapped down to .023" But personally I consider this a "band aid" type of fix, and put in the HKS DLI 2 as soon as I could get one shipped out to me. Easiest part I have ever installed. Not joking there. I put in new plugs gapped to .028 and have had no ignition problems.

Keith
I agree with you Keith. I don't want a band-aid fix and hope it all holds up. Anywhere around 25-30 lbs. I'd rather be sure and not have to cross my fingers.

I plan on bigger power later on (like you). I want to make the right choices now rather than suffer later.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

It is only a band aid approach if it costs you a significant amount of power. I know of two different people with evos who STOPPED having ignition problems the moment they REMOVED their upgraded ignition systems and went back to the stock ignition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hey, it is your money, spend away.

I don't want to out anyone, but just call Chris and Alfred at Tuning Technologies and ask them what their experience has been with ignition amplifiers and coil on plug systems... 909 783 1200. I'm sure they work for some, but they don't work for others.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Jul 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Its not a band-aid fix....its regapping your plugs to run with a **** load more CFM....

good god, people been doing **** $hit for years and year, and you call it a band-aid.

a band aid would be some jimmy rig rewiring....gapping plugs correctly has everything to do with a cars performance and is no way a band-aid.

and if you are freakin stoked up about 21psi....you def had **** for a tune when you went in. And, FWiW, i am in NO camp and think the world of dave and his shop. Just pointing out some things that aren't right with your guys' comments. Tons of people are running around with 35r turbos and stock ignition.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
smogrunner,

Thanks for the crap you threw in the thread. What was left out of his post was we did just change the plugs for him. The car would not go over 21 psi in the beginning and we went back to the shop, put some BPR7's in and gapped them down to .023. The misfire did go away and we were able to run the car pretty smoothly up to 25 psi. This is where I prefer to stop tuning on pump gas/alky mix.

So, he was happy, we did change his plugs and narrow the gap and the car ran extremely well. He will need an ignition upgrade to run higher boost than he is with no misfires. The stock EVO ignition is very weak.

Thanks again for your useless input and attempted slam of what we did for him.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 31, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

It wasn't a slam....the guy gave the wrong info. He said he went to you and left only running 21psi with no mention of new plugs and gapping allowing him to run 25psi. Thats a huge difference there in interpretation.

You shouldn't jump smogs case for saying what he said based on the info he had....you should understand that Dave. Looks like you did what you should have for him(exactly what i thought happened, thats why i said waiting for your response). I knew you wouldn't let him leave the shop without gapping down the plugs.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The stock EVO ignition is very weak.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
and your definition of weak is???? At what WHP level (4wd dynojet) do you think the stock EVO ignition is "very weak"?

Cause I know of a few EVOs w/~500whp on stock EVO ignition....
Old Jul 31, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think anyone has any intention of trying to stir up crap given the info provided. People sure are touchy...

With that in mind, the following is not an attack. To anything, anyone or anyone's mother. It is just an observation.

With the stock ECU controlling the ignition coils, running up to 30psi on a big turbo is fine with adequate plug gap. With an AEM controlling the coils (as is the case here in this thread), the limits are considerably lower. Presumabely due to inefficiencies on how it drives the factory ignition system. Same goes for fuel injector control. Unless I'm mistaken, AEM offers and additional ignition upgrade box and an additional fuel injector driver upgrade box that is said to solve these shortcomings for an added price.

If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me without name calling or physical threats

Regards
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jul 31, 2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

How much are the jack russells going for $ from BR? I didn't see it listed on their site but I might be blind.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

coil on colder plugs,smaller gap and AEM=higher boost and no spark blow out.shiv , yes sir
smoggrunner ? sounds like you had some problems with Buscher.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

I am agreement with you Shiv, the cars with the stock ECU controlling them seem to get by with more boost on the stock coils and less misfires. With the AEM EMS the spark control gets harder. Just closing the plug gap on the plugs doesn't work all the time either. The largest problem we have found with the EVO's is spark issues. In this particular case putting in new plugs and gapping them tight got rid of most of the misfire, pulling some extra fuel out of the car fixed the rest of it.

Had a friend/customer of mine stay with me over the last 3 days. Car would run great one pull, misfire the next. He has the AEM and the Twin Power. Running 25-27 psi on alky with a built 2.0 liter and GT35R. This morning before he left we put in fresh plugs and pulled the gap down tight, misfire completely solved.

Rich mixtures that you end up running on pump gas and using alky definetely require a strong spark. High boost and RPM add to it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 1, 2005, 06:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I am agreement with you Shiv, the cars with the stock ECU controlling them seem to get by with more boost on the stock coils and less misfires. With the AEM EMS the spark control gets harder. Just closing the plug gap on the plugs doesn't work all the time either. The largest problem we have found with the EVO's is spark issues. In this particular case putting in new plugs and gapping them tight got rid of most of the misfire, pulling some extra fuel out of the car fixed the rest of it.

Had a friend/customer of mine stay with me over the last 3 days. Car would run great one pull, misfire the next. He has the AEM and the Twin Power. Running 25-27 psi on alky with a built 2.0 liter and GT35R. This morning before he left we put in fresh plugs and pulled the gap down tight, misfire completely solved.

Rich mixtures that you end up running on pump gas and using alky definetely require a strong spark. High boost and RPM add to it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Dave,

Will the HKS DLI2 and the AEM running on a car have these problems?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

The DLI2 works as good as any ignition we have used, overall anyway. Most guys are getting away with using it, Al says his car runs fine on it with the stock coils and he has run 9.9 at 140+.

SlickEVO,

Not sure who you comment was directed at.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Aug 1, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to know if an upgraded ignition would help fix my idle issues and mainly my sparkplug "fouling" situation. I run my spark plugs gapped the way the are when I buy em... .28 My car holds the boost perfectly, holds the spark perfectly, no problems whatso ever. The only problem is they have a mystery foul.. the plugs look perfect but for some reason the car misses badly after anywhere from 3 runs to 8 runs. Guess Ill find out later... first thing is the damned clutch. Anyone wanna give me a freebie
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I would like to know if an upgraded ignition would help fix my idle issues and mainly my sparkplug "fouling" situation. I run my spark plugs gapped the way the are when I buy em... .28 My car holds the boost perfectly, holds the spark perfectly, no problems whatso ever. The only problem is they have a mystery foul.. the plugs look perfect but for some reason the car misses badly after anywhere from 3 runs to 8 runs. Guess Ill find out later... first thing is the damned clutch. Anyone wanna give me a freebie
What is your AFR during cruise and idle?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled

Its truw the AEM may need an upgraded ignition - but its an amazing product and has world class data logging.

I have been discovering more and more features and capabilities with the AEM and the product has a great deal of depth to it - particularly the new beta softwear.

I think the ignition problem is a small price to pay for all the features you get.

Quick Reply: Buschur tuned 35R w/methanol...and a jack russell