Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur tuned 35R w/methanol...and a jack russell

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Its truw the AEM may need an upgraded ignition - but its an amazing product and has world class data logging.

I have been discovering more and more features and capabilities with the AEM and the product has a great deal of depth to it - particularly the new beta softwear.

I think the ignition problem is a small price to pay for all the features you get.
Agreed
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
What is your AFR during cruise and idle?
Around 14.5-14.9 cruising. For some reason at idle with the AC on (Higher RPM/More load) it is around 15:1 but with the AC Off it idles really badly... VERY lopey and reads anywhere from 16:1 but normally more towards 19:1 to capping the meter out 21:1. This is with a VERY lopey idle and it has a decent exhaust leak directly in front of the rear O2 sensor (The wideband sensor). I never bother looking at the factory 02s but the fuel trims seem pretty close so it must be reading decently fine voltages I would think.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Im assuming the exhaust leak is making the O2s so lean at idle. I just switched to the BPR8ES plugs so I will see if they last longer than the BR8ES I was using before. Odly enough though the ignition has no problems what-so-ever so far and I have ran it at extremely high boost and it still holds gapped at .28
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
word~ gap - .023~.024 br7es

andrew isn't the only one saying this about the plugs. a lot of people recommend using the copper plugs for higher boost. But I agree with andrew, he's a good guy.

i agree with Al on aem. standalone Ems really is the only way to go on making big powers. But more importantly you need a good aem ems tuner to get that big power, hidden power out of your car, like every other standalone and piggyback systems. That and you do need to upgrade the supporting components... if money allows it.

but aem does have a lot more controls that you could do.

you think it might be the stock maf sensor does get in the way of engine performance and ecu performance?

Originally Posted by FLAEVO
I was told by Andrew at dyno4mance that I should not run Iriudum spark plugs because
the can stay hot and cause problems with high boost and big turbos. Run the ngk br8es
cooper plugs not the ones with the patruding electrode.I run 28 psi no problem with
meth and gt35r. The plugs are cheap under 10 dollars for 4 of them so you can change
them every time you change your oil.

Last edited by plokivos; Aug 1, 2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I think the ignition problem (AEM) is a small price to pay for all the features you get.
There is a significant problem with the injector drivers as well.

I am going to purchase the HKS DLII unit from Buschur, and recommend the same course of action for anyone in a similar position. I much prefer to upgrade the ignition than run a smaller spark gap in an effort to compromise for the inefficiencies of the ignition, which creates issues within itself.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr car is doing the same thing that lunchbox's was upon arrival and this could be my answer, the ignition and spark plug gap. I realize that the AEM EMS without upgraded ignition is almost too much. This is awesome, new hope for me.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think you guys are having ignition problems at idle, sounds like the tune to me.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com